The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Sep 22, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #4,456 of 5,762
Sep 22, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #4,458 of 5,762
Sep 22, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #4,459 of 5,762
I'm thinking they will probably update the entire signature line, but they could of course skip the tazzy as it does hold up and is an unique product. Seems like Sony is good at hiding their plans.

Sep 22, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #4,460 of 5,762
I'm thinking they will probably update the entire signature line, but they could of course skip the tazzy as it does hold up and is an unique product. Seems like Sony is good at hiding their plans.
I think the TA-ZH1ES was part of their 70th Anniversary range, if the Walkman leaks are true I wouldn't necessarily expect the TA or DMP to have successors with their track record - I might be wrong.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #4,461 of 5,762
Somewhat related: The tazzy is out of stock and the mdr-z1r is on sale on sony.com

The walkmen (walkmans?) are clearly the most outdated piece of equipment in their lineup now that everbody expects to use all sorts of streaming services and sony not updating it would be out of character.

Sep 29, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #4,462 of 5,762
This is just a TA-ZH1ES appreciation post.
Yesterday I came across an album I hadn't listened to since getting my TA and it sounded incredible and gave me a refreshed love and respect for it.

I'm quite minimalist and historically I was happy keeping it simple with just an iem and Walkman but last year I took that goddamn blue pill and added overheads (MDR-Z1R) and the TA-ZH1ES with add ons (upgraded power and USB cables). Every now and again my minimalist part asks 'shall we sell the amp and upgrade my 1A to the 1Z' but everytime I listen to the TA I absolutely can't let it go. My WM1A with Mr Walkman's firmwares is sounding superb but I get another level of enjoyment with my TA-ZH1ES.

Often upgrades get given the estimated 10% improvement figure eg. ZX300 > WM1A, WM1A > WM1Z, WM1Z > TA-ZH1ES, TA-ZH1ES > DMP-Z1 and I can agree, but then I feel there is another way that that figure can increase, potentially exponentially.

Where attention goes energy flows ie. focus.

Socks are maybe 5% of your overall clothing - I recently bought new ones to replace the ones I usually buy in Japan which are superb quality and low priced. Sure socks are just socks but if you get crappy ones they aren't comfortable and the heel eventually works its way up your calf. I found a decent priced pair from a quality brand store so bought a pair to try.
Probably most people wouldn't even notice their new socks but as I wore them through the day I frequently brought my attention to them and appreciated the material as it was snug and fit well, wasn't thick but offered cushioning, obviously breathed as they kept my feet warm but didn't sweat - I was very happy through the day enjoying my new socks, and still continue to do so.
Dumb sock experience analogy aside, as my focus is on the TA-ZH1ES's qualities, hearing this expanded level of detail across the different frequencies and the expanded staging I am getting well over 10% improvement over my 1A and maximum value for every cent I paid.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2021 at 12:22 AM Post #4,464 of 5,762
I've always used my WM1A/BCR-NWH10 as a source. Does anyone amp the 3.5mm output with the region changes and firmwares offering a different flavour?

Oct 6, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #4,465 of 5,762
Having parted with the TA earlier this spring while trading it in for a Chord Dave and taking it on a weeklong trip, I came to realize how impractical this sort of thing can be. The other day I ended up picking up a Sony PHA-3 dac/amp at a 45% discount. It’s going to take a while to get it past the 200-300 hour burn in mark but so far it sounds quite nice. The only thing that it’s missing is a 4.4 headphone port. I’m planning to use it mainly with the Z7 headphones but it would have been nice to be able to plug in my Meze Empyrean (even with an adapter). Has anyone here have any experience with it?

Oct 6, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #4,466 of 5,762
Having parted with the TA earlier this spring while trading it in for a Chord Dave and taking it on a weeklong trip, I came to realize how impractical this sort of thing can be. The other day I ended up picking up a Sony PHA-3 dac/amp at a 45% discount. It’s going to take a while to get it past the 200-300 hour burn in mark but so far it sounds quite nice. The only thing that it’s missing is a 4.4 headphone port. I’m planning to use it mainly with the Z7 headphones but it would have been nice to be able to plug in my Meze Empyrean (even with an adapter). Has anyone here have any experience with it?
I went the other way. I sold the Dave and purchased the TA

Oct 6, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #4,467 of 5,762
I went the other way. I sold the Dave and purchased the TA
Did you sell the Dave to finance something important outside of this hobby? It’s kind of hard to be satisfied with something that’s of lower quality once you get used to Dave.

Oct 6, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #4,468 of 5,762
Did you sell the Dave to finance something important outside of this hobby? It’s kind of hard to be satisfied with something that’s of lower quality once you get used to Dave.
No. To be honest I enjoyed the Dave very much but in the end I ultimately thought it was a bit overkill for me just to use solely with headphones and not be part of a bigger system.

Oct 6, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #4,469 of 5,762
No. To be honest I enjoyed the Dave very much but in the end I ultimately thought it was a bit overkill for me just to use solely with headphones and not be part of a bigger system.
I see. For now mine is primarily for headphone use but in the near future I plan to get some Chord amplifiers to use with speakers. Initially I was thinking of adding an amp to my Linn Selekt streamer but I’ll use it as a source instead since I’d be missing out on the advantages of the M Scaler.

Oct 7, 2021 at 6:52 PM Post #4,470 of 5,762
Hi guys, I'm using my TA as a DAC into my Drop AAA 789 via pre out (fixed) and found the sound is quite distorted. Reason for trying this is I have ordered a Burson Soloist 3XP and was hoping to use the TA as a DAC for it. Any ideas why this is happening?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back