The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Apr 7, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #4,171 of 5,761
While I haven’t seen any used DMP-Z1s for sale, you can easily find a used TA cheaply. After all, it’s a little over $2000 new. Oftentimes some retailers list them as open box items with generous discounts. I got mine back in 2018 for $1800. Not long ago I saw someone on this forum selling both the TA and a pair of Z1Rs for practically nothing (2250). As far as the DMP is concerned, I doubt it will be lowered in price. It’s aimed at a particular buyer whereas the TA has a much larger audience in mind.

Apr 7, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #4,172 of 5,761
How many TA-ZH1ES owners use the DSD remastering?

For me it is a mixed bag in that it will subjectively improve lower bitrate media such as YouTube or Spotify but it seems to get weird when I play 16/44 or better. On some tracks it changes the detail emphasis to the point I find it confusing, and on others it improves. I feel the biggest difference is that it has a different treble roll off than their PCM decoding. And as well about 2db softer.

Anyone else hear this?

Apr 7, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #4,173 of 5,761
I use DSD Remaster all the time and the lowest quality I listen to is 16/44.1 CD rips as FLAC.

Apr 7, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #4,174 of 5,761

For me it is a mixed bag in that it will subjectively improve lower bitrate media such as YouTube or Spotify but it seems to get weird when I play 16/44 or better. On some tracks it changes the detail emphasis to the point I find it confusing, and on others it improves. I feel the biggest difference is that it has a different treble roll off than their PCM decoding. And as well about 2db softer.

Anyone else hear this?
I don't use it, i have played with it, but find it pinches in the soundstage, and although it sounds clean, it loses realism and airiness.

Apr 7, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #4,175 of 5,761
Apr 7, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #4,176 of 5,761

Anyone else hear this?
I started using it probably a week after buying and grew used to that sound. I never really paid much attention to what it did with YouTube material as I don’t listen to music there. For the most part, video soundtracks are going to be lower in quality than well recorded studio music so it didn’t really bother me. You could improve it somewhat by using that other function that upscales lower quality material to cd or near hd level and there are 4 or 5 different settings that you can select from. That can be used in addition to DSD Remastering.

Apr 7, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #4,177 of 5,761
Use it always.

Apr 7, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #4,178 of 5,761
I have it on all the time.

Apr 8, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #4,179 of 5,761
Hey everyone, often when I switch from Pre-out to XLR4 the Pre-out still keeps blasting together with the XLR4. Cycling and selecting XLR4 again works. Are there any others that have this issue? Is there a solution?

Apr 11, 2021 at 4:33 AM Post #4,180 of 5,761
Does anyone know where I can buy the extra Walkman cable that you plug on the side that charges and plays the Walkman for the TA? I want to have a spare just in case.

Apr 11, 2021 at 6:48 AM Post #4,181 of 5,761
Hey everyone, often when I switch from Pre-out to XLR4 the Pre-out still keeps blasting together with the XLR4. Cycling and selecting XLR4 again works. Are there any others that have this issue? Is there a solution?

I don’t have anything connected to the pre out of my unit, but I’d reach out to Sony to see if this is expected behaviour

Apr 11, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #4,182 of 5,761
Does anyone know where I can buy the extra Walkman cable that you plug on the side that charges and plays the Walkman for the TA? I want to have a spare just in case.

Encompass has them, unfortunately for $81.94 - I bought one a couple of weeks ago and it arrived quickly.

Apr 15, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #4,183 of 5,761
Hi folks, I own a pair of Z1R and in the process of getting funds for a TA-ZH1ES because I read it's a great pairing.

But I don't want buyers remorse because I'm currently using an IFI Micro BL. I know I can't compare those two but has anyone jumped between the BL and TA-Z? Is it an improvement worth getting? Or should I just be contempt with what I'm using now?

Thanks.

Apr 15, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #4,185 of 5,761
Hi folks, I own a pair of Z1R and in the process of getting funds for a TA-ZH1ES because I read it's a great pairing.

But I don't want buyers remorse because I'm currently using an IFI Micro BL. I know I can't compare those two but has anyone jumped between the BL and TA-Z? Is it an improvement worth getting? Or should I just be contempt with what I'm using now?

Thanks.
TA-ZH1ES is without a doubt a significant improvement over the ifi micro bl. It’s worth buying for sure. It offers a better dac and an amp that’s a lot more flexible in terms of outputs. Also, don’t forget the dsd remastering function that upscales everything to 11.2 MHz. I owned one for around 3 years before trading it in along with a few other things for a Chord Dave.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back