The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Mar 26, 2021 at 10:25 PM Post #4,141 of 5,766
Hi all,

I'm considering buying the TA-Z and have a ZX-507 as a source. Unlike the previous ZX-300 it does not have the propriety Walkman connector. I'm assuming I could go via the USB C but that would rob it of a power supply. Would connecting via the balanced output work or not do the end to end chain justice?
Going to this user's question, how about connecting his 507 from USB-C to USB-A at the back of the TA? Does that work?

Mar 26, 2021 at 11:32 PM Post #4,142 of 5,766
Going to this user's question, how about connecting his 507 from USB-C to USB-A at the back of the TA? Does that work?
That ought to work but it would have to be USB C to USB B since the latter is the type of the USB on the back. Alternatively, the side port could be used also. It’s a micro usb. I routinely connected an iPhone that way through a camera adapter when I didn’t feel like turning on my computer.

Mar 27, 2021 at 1:20 AM Post #4,143 of 5,766
That ought to work but it would have to be USB C to USB B since the latter is the type of the USB on the back. Alternatively, the side port could be used also. It’s a micro usb. I routinely connected an iPhone that way through a camera adapter when I didn’t feel like turning on my computer.

Hi all

The point of the connection is also to charge whilst connected to the TAS.

The 507 has a terrible battery life.

Mar 27, 2021 at 3:16 AM Post #4,144 of 5,766
Hi all

The point of the connection is also to charge whilst connected to the TAS.

The 507 has a terrible battery life.
You cant use the 4.4 as a line out to the TA as it only has single ended input so it would have to be from the 3.5

Mar 27, 2021 at 8:32 AM Post #4,145 of 5,766
Neither of those ports would charge a Walkman. Those are just data ports without a power line. It was part of the design to minimize electrical noise.

Mar 27, 2021 at 8:39 AM Post #4,146 of 5,766
Neither of those ports would charge a Walkman. Those are just data ports without a power line. It was part of the design to minimize electrical noise.
The Walkman port on the side does charge but only with the supplied WM port cable for Sony WM port devices

Mar 27, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #4,147 of 5,766
Yep, you definitely found a very good pairing. Empyreans tend to pair well with quality streamers/headphone amps. The only one I absolutely hated was Dcs Bartok despite its eye watering price tag. The sound was boring. Everything was there but musicality and excitement. I said something along those lines but with considerably more tact to a guy who was demoing it for me at a local Hi fi shop. He was taken aback somewhat. Another dealer who heard it before and decided not to stock it confirmed my opinion.

By the way, what’s your source for the Sony amp? It tends to perform a lot better through digital inputs rather than line in inputs. Those aren’t bad by any means but digital seems to produce better sound.

I'm using digital sources, preferably directly from my PC, however the detection seems finicky and often the device is not recognized. As a backup for those situations I use the optical out on my screen which only does 58k for some reason. I don't really have a use for the analog inputs expect when I want to get feedback from my USB mic.

All the features and all the sound this thing has :)

Apr 4, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #4,150 of 5,766
So the TAZ is getting on for five years old now.

Is there any news of a successor?

I’m about to pull the trigger on one but would hate to see a new version in six months.

If one were to come out tomorrow what features or improvements would you like to see on it?

The things I’d like added to it are a couple more analog inputs or a Bluetooth receiver module, and a dedicated phono in. None of these are dealbreaker for me personally

Apr 4, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #4,151 of 5,766
If one were to come out tomorrow what features or improvements would you like to see on it?

The things I’d like added to it are a couple more analog inputs or a Bluetooth receiver module, and a dedicated phono in. None of these are dealbreaker for me personally

That’s a great question. MQA is on my list. I have the Sony ZX507 and that has it.

Beyond that, it’s really just FOMO.

Apr 4, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #4,152 of 5,766

Nothing, it’s perfect.

Apr 4, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #4,153 of 5,766
Adding analog inputs to it is not particularly useful since those would be converted to digital anyway. On the other hand, MQA support would be nice but it wouldn’t be a reason for me to upgrade. Bluetooth support seems kind of pointless, even at AptX.

Apr 4, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #4,154 of 5,766

Users who are viewing this thread

Back