The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Jan 16, 2021 at 6:38 AM Post #4,066 of 5,761
They can maybe be found?

Not sure?

Mine came with 1.02? 1.03 is better I think?

Jan 16, 2021 at 7:00 AM Post #4,069 of 5,761
spent 2hr on finding them while I enjoy the music, no luck. Probably need someone that has the old updater and shares it, but not even sure TA can row back firmware.

No you can, I have not but people on this thread have rolled back.

Jan 16, 2021 at 7:36 AM Post #4,071 of 5,761
at least half good news, now just need to find the firmware. Which I cant :frowning2:
Well, 1.02 was slightly darker than 1.03. The thing is I maybe have only talked with one person in this thread that would also confirm that? I was on 1.02 for the longest time, then became curious what firmware I was on. Then found out 1.03 was out. I was slightly concerned bringing up (in this thread) about the 1.03 update. Meaning what would happen if someone updated then tried to roll back to 1.02, as there was no 1.02 around. The link we had for 1.02 was not working. Only one IEM really showed me how much 1.03 was different from 1.02.

Jan 16, 2021 at 7:42 AM Post #4,072 of 5,761
Well, 1.02 was slightly darker than 1.03. The thing is I maybe have only talked with one person in this thread that would also confirm that? I was on 1.02 for the longest time, then became curious what firmware I was on. Then found out 1.03 was out. I was slightly concerned bringing up (in this thread) about the 1.03 update. Meaning what would happen if someone updated then tried to roll back to 1.02, as there was no 1.02 around. The link we had for 1.02 was not working. Only one IEM really showed me how much 1.03 was different from 1.02.
I am actually really curious about 1.0.1, 1.0.0 to be exact, but there are no 1.0.0 for sure as they were preinstalled on the earliest unit, From what I read 1.0.0 has a better sound stage and a little bit more bass but better separation overall. Not sure if they are true, but why not give it a try:)

Jan 16, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #4,073 of 5,761
I am actually really curious about 1.0.1, 1.0.0 to be exact, but there are no 1.0.0 for sure as they were preinstalled on the earliest unit, From what I read 1.0.0 has a better sound stage and a little bit more bass but better separation overall. Not sure if they are true, but why not give it a try:)
Well to me the two Walkmans, the 1A and 1Z slowly became more mid-centric as Sony made firmware changes as the years went on. Upon purchase I was downloading and installing 2.00 before my Walkmans were even fully burned-in. What I seemed to notice was Sony was slowly migrating away from slower tube like slower tone to faster more detailed tone. The migration to 2.00 in the Walkmans to 3.01 and 3.02 would then show a continuation in that same direction. So it makes sense that the TA firmware would move that way too.

After using the TA, I actually felt (IMO) it was darker than the Walkmans then went more in line with the Walkman sound after 1.03.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #4,074 of 5,761
Well to me the two Walkmans, the 1A and 1Z slowly became more mid-centric as Sony made firmware changes as the years went on. Upon purchase I was downloading and installing 2.00 before my Walkmans were even fully burned-in. What I seemed to notice was Sony was slowly migrating away from slower tube like slower tone to faster more detailed tone. The migration to 2.00 in the Walkmans to 3.01 and 3.02 would then show a continuation in that same direction. So it makes sense that the TA firmware would move that way too.

After using the TA, I actually felt (IMO) it was darker than the Walkmans then went more in line with the Walkman sound after 1.03.
Well, the main reason I like to try the older version is I feel like my mdr-z1r did not do very well on the bass mid separation, also vocal kind of muddy. I don't know how to explain that but the sound overall is kind of closed up. which is bit different from what I heard on DMP-Z1. Using high gain helps a bit, but I don't think Z1R needs high gain? Maybe the hp still needs break in( around 50hr) or I need the sony kimber?(I used sony kimber with Z1).

Jan 16, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #4,075 of 5,761
Well, the main reason I like to try the older version is I feel like my mdr-z1r did not do very well on the bass mid separation, also vocal kind of muddy. I don't know how to explain that but the sound overall is kind of closed up. which is bit different from what I heard on DMP-Z1. Using high gain helps a bit, but I don't think Z1R needs high gain? Maybe the hp still needs break in( around 50hr) or I need the sony kimber?(I used sony kimber with Z1).

Well, cables can be controversial. But.....my MDR-Z1R came with the Kimber as a gift and I’m totally glad it came with it. To me the Kimber totally cleans up the bass “fog”. I recommend it wholeheartedly! After getting aquatinted with the Kimber then going back to stock cables it was like “why”? Why would they have such a bad sounding cable with a TOTL flagship headphone?

Jan 16, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #4,076 of 5,761
Hope everybody is having a good weekend.

I just got the TA-ZH1ES recently and am enjoying it with 4.4mm cabled MDR-Z1R. I currently have the volume set at -18.5 dB and had to turn the volume knob for a bit before I felt it was loud enough... :darthsmile:

I like to know what volume level are you listening to?

Jan 16, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #4,077 of 5,761

I just got the TA-ZH1ES recently and am enjoying it with 4.4mm cabled MDR-Z1R. I currently have the volume set at -18.5 dB and had to turn the volume knob for a bit before I felt it was loud enough... :darthsmile:

Typically -25.0

Jan 18, 2021 at 5:29 AM Post #4,078 of 5,761

I'm currently listening to the Sony MDR-Z1R at -55.0dB on High gain. However I find it varies wildly what music I'm listening to where I listen.

Jan 18, 2021 at 5:53 AM Post #4,079 of 5,761
With the MDR-Z1R I’m usually on -30dB low gain

Users who are viewing this thread

Back