The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Feb 14, 2021 at 11:23 PM Post #4,096 of 5,762
That's a pity. I'm listening via a Sony ZX507 and loving it. Any rumours on a TA replacement that does?

Just unfold MQA in software and output that to the TA. You won't get the so called "second unfold" but honestly it's really an ultra tiny, imperceptible difference.

To not pick an amp based on all the work that's gone into it's chassis design, power design, circuit board, dac, and components and instead discard it because you want
a device that supports a money-making scheme for compressing high res audio - it doesn't really make a WHOLE lot of sense.

Consider this - the first unfold of MQA from tidal, in software, gives you 24/96 out and then you're gonna use the TA to oversample it in hardware to DSD anyway because that is the main feature of this device.

Who cares if it has full MQA support ? It's not a DAP where you have less good software options. You can use Audirvana or Roon or whatever and a far more powerful CPU on your machine to do the MQA 1st unfold and get most of the benefits, which are, let's be frank, minimal anyway - some albums that are 16/44.1 sound better than their 24/96 counterparts anyway because of the way they were recorded, the mastering process, the studio equipment used, etc.

MQA is highly overrated. There's no MQA on any vinyl albums for example. Does that mean they're not listenable ? There's no MQA on Qobuz. Does that mean it's worthless ? Marketing....

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2021 at 11:59 PM Post #4,097 of 5,762
Just unfold MQA in software and output that to the TA. You won't get the so called "second unfold" but honestly it's really an ultra tiny, imperceptible difference.

To not pick an amp based on all the work that's gone into it's chassis design, power design, circuit board, dac, and components and instead discard it because you want
a device that supports a money-making scheme for compressing high res audio - it doesn't really make a WHOLE lot of sense.

Consider this - the first unfold of MQA from tidal, in software, gives you 24/96 out and then you're gonna use the TA to oversample it in hardware to DSD anyway because that is the main feature of this device.

Who cares if it has full MQA support ? It's not a DAP where you have less good software options. You can use Audirvana or Roon or whatever and a far more powerful CPU on your machine to do the MQA 1st unfold and get most of the benefits, which are, let's be frank, minimal anyway - some albums that are 16/44.1 sound better than their 24/96 counterparts anyway because of the way they were recorded, the mastering process, the studio equipment used, etc.

MQA is highly overrated. There's no MQA on any vinyl albums for example. Does that mean they're not listenable ? There's no MQA on Qobuz. Does that mean it's worthless ? Marketing....

Fair point

Feb 15, 2021 at 3:03 AM Post #4,098 of 5,762
Hi all,

I'm considering buying the TA-Z and have a ZX-507 as a source. Unlike the previous ZX-300 it does not have the propriety Walkman connector. I'm assuming I could go via the USB C but that would rob it of a power supply. Would connecting via the balanced output work or not do the end to end chain justice?

Feb 15, 2021 at 4:19 AM Post #4,099 of 5,762
Hi all,

I'm considering buying the TA-Z and have a ZX-507 as a source. Unlike the previous ZX-300 it does not have the propriety Walkman connector. I'm assuming I could go via the USB C but that would rob it of a power supply. Would connecting via the balanced output work or not do the end to end chain justice?

The balanced output would not work as the TA don’t have balanced input

Feb 15, 2021 at 4:22 AM Post #4,100 of 5,762
Hi all,

The Walkman input is just an USB micro B plug. I've tried connecting my Android phone to it and was able to play music over the TA-ZH1ES.

Feb 15, 2021 at 7:52 AM Post #4,103 of 5,762
Thanks. Did it provide power back into the phone? The ZX507 has a shockingly bad battery so it would need it.

As I understand it the side connection on the TA is a proprietary combi plug that consists of a microUSB for data transfer and then a seperate plug that provides power to the Walkman

Feb 15, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #4,104 of 5,762
Thanks. Did it provide power back into the phone? The ZX507 has a shockingly bad battery so it would need it.
I think it's weird that Sony didn't think of this. When you use your ZX507 with your TA (or any of the external amps) you're required to constantly plug/unplug the device and charge it. I had this problem with my ZX1 and PHA-3 so I bought the BCR-NWH10 cradle (wm-port...), problem solved.
The new Android daps (zx507/a105) clearly aren't made for these situations, which is sad.

HAP-S1 might work though, since it has Spotify Connect, and connects to usb dacs, so that's the only streaming Sony device that connects to a power supply and a dac at the same time?

Feb 16, 2021 at 3:33 AM Post #4,105 of 5,762
I think it's weird that Sony didn't think of this. When you use your ZX507 with your TA (or any of the external amps) you're required to constantly plug/unplug the device and charge it. I had this problem with my ZX1 and PHA-3 so I bought the BCR-NWH10 cradle (wm-port...), problem solved.
The new Android daps (zx507/a105) clearly aren't made for these situations, which is sad.

HAP-S1 might work though, since it has Spotify Connect, and connects to usb dacs, so that's the only streaming Sony device that connects to a power supply and a dac at the same time?

They thought about it for Walkmans. However I think that the USB A/B standards allow only one directional power flow, from the host to the client, and the port on the amplifier is a client port. USB-C probably wasn't really a thing back then.

I am happy they decided to go for a common standard with an additional thingy next to it instead of completely inventing something new.

Feb 21, 2021 at 4:43 AM Post #4,107 of 5,762
Can I run a 4.4mm balanced cable (from the zx507's output) into the phono inputs at the back?

Would there be any benefit?

No as the phono input is single ended

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #4,108 of 5,762
Anybody had ever compared, using the TA as preamp, the pre-out output with the headphones unbalanced output(connected directly to the power amp)? Anybody know the internal differences in the circuit ?

Feb 25, 2021 at 1:37 AM Post #4,110 of 5,762
Never heard a pep out of it. It perfect, but have not tried CA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back