The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Nov 13, 2019 at 12:22 AM Post #2,071 of 5,761
Thanks for your answer, but what TA are you refering to, the TA-A1ES or the TA-ZH1ES, I´m trying to compare 2 TA models basically?

The TA A1ES is a class A amplifier, with the same price tag as the TA ZH1ES.

I could imagine that since the ZH1ES and the Z1R were kinda developed together, makes sense, this combo outpeforms the other.

Thanks!

I had the A1ES before and it is a fabulous integrated amp with a really good sounding onboard headphones module. I say that the TA-ZH1ES is definitely better but not by significant amount. Can you demo the ZH1ES to compare with the A1ES?

Nov 20, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #2,073 of 5,761
Usage question. I am looking to upgrade my listening experience in my home office. Currently use the Z1R from Sony and drive them with an AK SE100 portable dac/amp. I am looking at buying a headphone amp, but most of them come with their own build in DAC, which is ok. But what's the input to the DAC beside a PC so that it makes sense? Taking the SE100 and piping the line out into the TA so that it splits the analog back into digital seems wrong.

I assume the DAC from the TA is better than the DAC inside the AK SE100. So i want to feed it digital. Is the only real way to use this by either adding a network player, like a cambridge audio CXN to it and use the optical in? Or a PC? (I don't see a way to get a digital out directly from the AK SE100).

Thanks in advance

Frank

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #2,074 of 5,761
Since it doesn't look like the AK SE100 can work as a transport and output via USB you are stuck using analog out to the TA.

Nov 20, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #2,075 of 5,761
Usage question. I am looking to upgrade my listening experience in my home office. Currently use the Z1R from Sony and drive them with an AK SE100 portable dac/amp. I am looking at buying a headphone amp, but most of them come with their own build in DAC, which is ok. But what's the input to the DAC beside a PC so that it makes sense? Taking the SE100 and piping the line out into the TA so that it splits the analog back into digital seems wrong.

I assume the DAC from the TA is better than the DAC inside the AK SE100. So i want to feed it digital. Is the only real way to use this by either adding a network player, like a cambridge audio CXN to it and use the optical in? Or a PC? (I don't see a way to get a digital out directly from the AK SE100).

Thanks in advance

Frank

I use an Auralic Aries Mini through usb as my source for the TA and also optical from my tv

Nov 20, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #2,077 of 5,761
Curious. With the Cambridge Audio CXN i have, WiFi is pretty much unreliable and not an option (works great wired). How is the Auralic performing with DSD or 192/24 files using WiFi?

Tia

Frank

It works fine. Wifi is only used to connect to an iOS device used for the gui, music is transferred over usb from the build in 2TB ssd to the TA. It also worked fine for streaming Tidal when I had a subscription

Nov 23, 2019 at 11:22 PM Post #2,078 of 5,761
Hello, I've connected the TA DAC to the PC via USB interface, and while I can change the sample rate in the Windows sound settings and it displays correctly on the DAC, the output on the DAC display would always show the sample rate of PCM352.8kHz/32 regardless of the input settings. Is it normal? If it is, then I suppose that the Sony DAC upsales any PCM input to PCM352.8kHz/32?

Nov 24, 2019 at 4:40 AM Post #2,079 of 5,761
Hello, I've connected the TA DAC to the PC via USB interface, and while I can change the sample rate in the Windows sound settings and it displays correctly on the DAC, the output on the DAC display would always show the sample rate of PCM352.8kHz/32 regardless of the input settings. Is it normal? If it is, then I suppose that the Sony DAC upsales any PCM input to PCM352.8kHz/32?

It does not. Connected via usb to my Auralic Aries Mini the Sony display shows exactly what the files played are. Analog input on the other hand is converted to digital on input

Nov 24, 2019 at 4:50 AM Post #2,080 of 5,761

I think that in your Menu the ALL to DSD is turned on.

Nov 24, 2019 at 5:08 AM Post #2,081 of 5,761
I don't have all to dsd option, but DSEE HX and DSD REMASTERING are both OFF... I can see the two sample rates when I set the DISPLAY option to FORMAT.
T7rhcEQ.jpg

T7rhcEQ

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2019 at 5:41 AM Post #2,085 of 5,761
Yeah I can set the DSD like that by enabling the DSD REMASTERING. But PCM is always PCM352.8kHz/32 bit... Looks like it upscales, right?
Yeah, and also ASIO playback locks the bitrate to 32 bit, even if the source and windows audio are set to 16 bit...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back