The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Oct 21, 2019 at 5:10 AM Post #2,041 of 5,761
Both DAC/AMPs are not the best solution for this task (I know the Oppo has more power but it isn’t enough for such a demanding can) If driving this headphone is your prior intention, then spend the money in a dedicated headphone amplifier like a Violectric HPA-V281 or something in that class (don’t know the price you can get the TA but in Germany it’s about the same price as the Violectric).
Oh i'm surprised i thought the ZH1ES for sure had a more powerful amp then the Oppo

Oct 21, 2019 at 5:14 AM Post #2,042 of 5,761
Oh i'm surprised i thought the ZH1ES for sure had a more powerful amp then the Oppo
The Oppo has 2.000mw at 32 Ohm and the Sony 2.400mw. Sorry I just remembered the single output from the Sony homepage which was 1.200 (and forgot the + sign )
But 400mw are still not much for a HE-6

Oct 21, 2019 at 5:19 AM Post #2,043 of 5,761
The Oppo has 2.000mw at 32 Ohm and the Sony 2.400mw. Sorry I just remembered the single output from the Sony homepage which was 1.200 (and forgot the + sign )
But 400mw are still not much for a HE-6
Yes this is what i thought too, it is nice to have that extra 400mw but yes it might struggle to make the HE-6 sound right. they do sound okay out of my Oppo but it's pretty much at max on the volume dial on high gain with very little headroom left. I suppose the Sony would be better but just.

Oct 21, 2019 at 5:27 AM Post #2,044 of 5,761
Yes this is what i thought too, it is nice to have that extra 400mw but yes it might struggle to make the HE-6 sound right. they do sound okay out of my Oppo but it's pretty much at max on the volume dial on high gain with very little headroom left. I suppose the Sony would be better but just.
If you like the more bright sound (in comparison to TA) just upgrade the Amp. A Cayin iHA-6 has definitely the power to drive them and has a great price tag (but on the other hand there are some people who claim you need a speaker amp)

Oct 21, 2019 at 5:39 AM Post #2,045 of 5,761
If you like the more bright sound (in comparison to TA) just upgrade the Amp. A Cayin iHA-6 has definitely the power to drive them and has a great price tag (but on the other hand there are some people who claim you need a speaker amp)
The reason i'm considering the TA is because i don't like the bright and clinical sound of the Oppo too much. I heard the TA is much warmer which is why i am considering

Oct 21, 2019 at 5:52 AM Post #2,046 of 5,761
The reason i'm considering the TA is because i don't like the bright and clinical sound of the Oppo too much. I heard the TA is much warmer which is why i am considering
In that case the TA is quite on the other end of the spectrum. So maybe it could sound a bit too relaxed for you (that’s just something to consider). Don’t know your budget but Hugo 2 would be a good option too

Oct 21, 2019 at 6:11 AM Post #2,047 of 5,761
In that case the TA is quite on the other end of the spectrum. So maybe it could sound a bit too relaxed for you (that’s just something to consider). Don’t know your budget but Hugo 2 would be a good option too

I see that you’re using the AQ jitterbug with your TA. Did you notice much of a difference with it? I currently have AQ carbon cable from my TA direct to my PC and considering adding in a jitterbug.

Oct 21, 2019 at 6:28 AM Post #2,048 of 5,761
Ended up ordening this Sony. I was overthinking about measurements and al the things that comes around ( i was also considering the Matrix Sabre Pro and the Rme Adi-2 because of their specs ). But, in the end I decided to buy the Sony because of its focus on the lower spectrum ( My ears are very sensitive to the highs ) and because I’ve found it on Amazon on sale ( not too much, but stil 5% less than usual retail price ). I’ll share my impression when it arrives!
Many thanks to hellraiser86 for his comparison! :)

Oct 21, 2019 at 6:32 AM Post #2,049 of 5,761
Ended up ordening this Sony. I was overthinking about measurements and al the things that comes around ( i was also considering the Matrix Sabre Pro and the Rme Adi-2 because of their specs ). But, in the end I decided to buy the Sony because of its focus on the lower spectrum ( My ears are very sensitive to the highs ) and because I’ve found it on Amazon on sale ( not too much, but stil 5% less than usual retail price ). I’ll share my impression when it arrives!
Many thanks to hellraiser86 for his comparison! :)
Enjoy it :) and I am looking forward for your impressions

Oct 21, 2019 at 6:35 AM Post #2,050 of 5,761
I see that you’re using the AQ jitterbug with your TA. Did you notice much of a difference with it? I currently have AQ carbon cable from my TA direct to my PC and considering adding in a jitterbug.
It depends on the source I am using. For example if I connect it with my MacBook Pro I definitely hear an improvement (really funny considering that I didn’t believe in such things before^^). If I am using my iPad Pro the difference is not that noticeable.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2019 at 6:49 AM Post #2,052 of 5,761
Enjoy it :) and I am looking forward for your impressions

It should arrive in mid November... Do you think that it needs also some time for burning in the components?

Oct 21, 2019 at 6:52 AM Post #2,053 of 5,761
It should arrive in mid November... Do you think that it needs also some time for burning in the components?
The TA definitely improves over time. I can’t remember how long it took with mine, but I already liked it straight out of the box :wink:

Oct 21, 2019 at 7:19 AM Post #2,054 of 5,761
The TA definitely improves over time. I can’t remember how long it took with mine, but I already liked it straight out of the box :wink:
Ok, Maybe I’ll let him burn in for about a week... ( 200hr like the WM1A )

Oct 22, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #2,055 of 5,761
i have bought both the aq jitterbug and the ifi usb purifier during a moment of weakness (you know... audiophilia nervosa).

i left the jitterbug in my system because it doesn't hurt to have it in there.
but in all honesty... i can't claim that i am able to hear any difference.

and i don't think this is because my hearing is impaired, i definitely can hear differences when swapping headphone cables and analog interconnects for instance. but differences in usb cabling and usb purification on the tazzy...different story imo.

a thing to consider: sony has gone to great lengths when it comes to jitter rejection on their s-master products. (in previous iterations of their s-master architecture they called this their "clean data cycle" which sports an attosecond clock for re-clocking the signal.) the tazzy is built around the s-master hx architecture and a chassis that is supposed to suppress physical interference with the internal timing of the clock through vibration.

so, i believe jitter is not an issue. what other reasons could there be to add usb purification? introduction of noise to the system? i can't hear any improvement in that department either.

i don't think that money spent on usb purification is money spent well. just my humble opinion.

BTW i also found this an interesting read:
http://archimago.blogspot.com/2019/08/musings-demo-why-bits-are-bits-lets-not.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back