The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Sep 20, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #2,011 of 5,761
No idea what any of those words mean. But yeah, I definitely prefer the Sennheiser's sound over the Sony's, regardless of what acronyms are stuffed inside either one. :)

And that’s really all that matters. Enjoy

Sep 20, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #2,013 of 5,761
Hi
which headphone and source you are using?

Sennheiser HDV 820 arrived today. Sorry to all the Sony fans, but the sound quality is better for the music I listen to. The low end is punchier and snappier. Drums have authority. In comparison I can see how people say the Sony has a soft and warm vibe. The Sony has more features, but I gotta go with what sounds better for my setup.

Sep 20, 2019 at 6:25 PM Post #2,014 of 5,761
No idea what any of those words mean.

No surprise there. And yes the Sony is a warm and soft dac and amp. It's great for headphones like the Utopia for example which can be sharp with cleaner or sharper sounding dacs.

Some people like that. That's why tube amps are so popular. They are technically worse than SS amps in terms of distortion, noise floor etc but some people prefer their sound because they find it pleasing.

In fact, that's the entire reason behind the Sony's DC Phase Linearizer.

Also, if you want to sell stuff, you might want to post here: https://www.head-fi.org/forums/amplification-for-sale-trade.6551/

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #2,015 of 5,761
In comparison to the TA definitely in every direction (more focused to the width). But that does not mean the ADI has a small Soundstage. It is more like my Hugo 2 in that regard.
Hi! In your opinion, in the end, which is better, the Sony TA or the RME ADI-2? :) thank you! Because I'm thinking of buying one of these 2 dacs.

Oct 10, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #2,016 of 5,761
Hi! In your opinion, in the end, which is better, the Sony TA or the RME ADI-2? :) thank you! Because I'm thinking of buying one of these 2 dacs.

The RME seems to be lightyears ahead of the Sony as far as a pure DAC goes. You've got way more control and functionality with the RME. That said, you'll probably spend a lot of time tweaking and messing with all the infinite settings.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #2,017 of 5,761
The RME seems to be lightyears ahead of the Sony as far as a pure DAC goes. You've got way more control and functionality with the RME. That said, you'll probably spend a lot of time tweaking and messing with all the infinite settings.
Thank you for the fast response :)
I see that there are a lot of possibile tunings in the RME and it’s obviously a good thing and it’s one of the pros of this Dac in my opinion! But my question is also about musicality and imaging. I’m asking to this forum because I can’t make an audition of both the Dacs. Thank you for every reply :)

Oct 10, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #2,018 of 5,761
There are many things to compare and lots of differences in terms of usability, tuning ins and outs etc... For that just take what you need.

Soundwise I will just comment the differences not the individual qualities:
RMEs ADI is cleaner, more open (from mids to highs) and dynamic sounding from the internal headphone amp. That is why I use it for mastering.
The Sony on the other hand has more focus from the lows to mids. Soundstage is also bigger in width, depth and hight on the TA. That is also the reason why I prefer the Sony for private/fun listening.

These often used terms would typically describe them:
RME is more on the analytical side (compared to Sony; there are still way more analytical sounding ones out there).
Sony is more on the laidback side (not only compared to the RME; it kind of sounds more analogue).

I hope this kind a helps :D

Oct 10, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #2,019 of 5,761

Thank you for the fast response :)

Don't listen to this guy, he does not know what he's talking about.

He was saying the other day in the empyrean thread that he couldn't hear the difference between a laptop sub 5 dollar/unit dac chip and a dragonfly cobalt.

Please be careful on the forums.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 6:13 PM Post #2,020 of 5,761
There are many things to compare and lots of differences in terms of usability, tuning ins and outs etc... For that just take what you need.

Soundwise I will just comment the differences not the individual qualities:
RMEs ADI is cleaner, more open (from mids to highs) and dynamic sounding from the internal headphone amp. That is why I use it for mastering.
The Sony on the other hand has more focus from the lows to mids. Soundstage is also bigger in width, depth and hight on the TA. That is also the reason why I prefer the Sony for private/fun listening.

These often used terms would typically describe them:
RME is more on the analytical side (compared to Sony; there are still way more analytical sounding ones out there).
Sony is more on the laidback side (not only compared to the RME; it kind of sounds more analogue).

I hope this kind a helps :D

this is what i was looking for! Thank you so much! Really! You helped me a lot :) Only one last thing: Talking about imaging and detail ( in other words, the ability to hear the most possible from a hi-res music file ) do you think that these dacs are more or less on par or, maybe, one is superior to the other? :)

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #2,021 of 5,761
Don't listen to this guy, he does not know what he's talking about.

He was saying the other day in the empyrean thread that he couldn't hear the difference between a laptop sub 5 dollar/unit dac chip and a dragonfly cobalt.

Please be careful on the forums.
Ok thanks! :)

Oct 10, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #2,023 of 5,761
Well, instead of giving a thoughtful response like Hellraiser86 did, which actually explained the differences in sound, you said something that was kind of not really true, and in any event wasn't particularly helpful.

I'm just calling it like I see it, the other person can make an informed decision will all the information at hand.

On top of that I've seen alot of crazy stuff from you. "No idea what any of those words mean." kind of sums up your knowledge about dacs IMO.

I would not be surprised if you've never owned a TA-ZH1ES or any of the dacs under discussion long enough to make an informed opinion about them, instead using non-sequiturs like "it's light years behind".

I can tell you that while I prefer the Hugo2's Dac unit to the TA-ZH1ES, it's still a very refined Dac that holds it's own. And Chord has some of the best Dacs in the industry. The RME Unit under discussion is also a top of the line dac.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 6:22 PM Post #2,024 of 5,761
Well, instead of giving a thoughtful response like Hellraiser86 did, which actually explained the differences in sound, you said something that was kind of not really true, and in any event wasn't particularly helpful.

Get lost. I'm not interested in arguing about nonsense with you. All you're doing is following me around trying to start a fight like a kid on a playground. You seem like you don't know how to interact with people. Welcome to my ignore list.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #2,025 of 5,761
I'm not following you at all my friend. You're posting crap in threads that I am subscribed to, and I'm just warning people to take what you say with a grain of salt, because alot of it is wrong.

I actually own the equipment in the threads we're in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back