The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Nov 6, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #1,726 of 5,761

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #1,727 of 5,761
For curiosity's sake does anyone know the real output impedance of the TA-ZH1ES? I'm taking the spec of "8-600 Ohms" with a grain of salt, more of an "acceptable headphone impedance range", which holds true given they can power my K240 Sextetts and Beyer T1.2 quite adequately.

Nov 21, 2018 at 5:41 AM Post #1,728 of 5,761
Has anyone used the ZH1 as just a DAC and sent to a tube amp? It's a solid performing DAC, but thought it might be fun to find other amp synergies if there are any recommendations (especially when you want to dial in a different flavor than the ZH1's smooth default sound).

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #1,730 of 5,761
How does the ZH1ES compare to smth like Schiit Bifrost Mulitbit + Valhalla 2?

I have a lot of Sony ES gear that I mainly use for my speaker setup and wondered if an ES gear also makes sense for my HD600/660S/800 in terms of price vs. performance?
e.g. if I could get similiar/better performance for a way lower price (currently 1800€ in Europe).

What still worries me is all the converting stuff that the Sony ES does or can do. Isn't that falsifying the actual song? Shouldn't it be left original instead of converting it to a "better quality"?

Nov 26, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #1,731 of 5,761
How does the ZH1ES compare to smth like Schiit Bifrost Mulitbit + Valhalla 2?

I have a lot of Sony ES gear that I mainly use for my speaker setup and wondered if an ES gear also makes sense for my HD600/660S/800 in terms of price vs. performance?
e.g. if I could get similiar/better performance for a way lower price (currently 1800€ in Europe).

What still worries me is all the converting stuff that the Sony ES does or can do. Isn't that falsifying the actual song? Shouldn't it be left original instead of converting it to a "better quality"?

That’s is the riddle. In purity of audio concepts, trying to get closer to the actual file or signal should always be the end goal. This is a concept which also keeps the same type of listener from using EQ, as they feel it adds a distortion.

This idea of transparency is in a way simple, so we end with ideas of filters being like reverb and adding an effect which falsifies the reality. Here though the effect is enhancing reality. I leave both settings (DSEE HX) and (The DSD remastering engine) on all the time, though there was a post a couple posts back where he thought in his speaker rig that an adjustment to a different level of DSD upscale sounded better in an instance.

The DSD upscale is (in my opinion) taking and enhancing reality. Somehow the chip programming is like a little onboard computer which studies the signal, somehow understands harmonic qualities which are the truth for the isolates of instrumentation and adds to each instrument or sound parallel to what a better recording would be in life. In my use it never degrades the sound, like adding a loss of timing or blurring tone.

It’s not like those sunglasses which are a different color, but make stuff look extra clear when your eyes adjust. The effect is the audio equivalent to taking out one degrading step in the recording process, getting us closer to the music.

On a different subject I received the AudioQuest Carbon USB cable and it has added better sound quality with the dock and TA, in tests where I could see I’m using the new cable.

Maybe tomorrow I will do a blind test to see if I can distinguish the $170 cable from regular HP drugstore USB cables. Also this.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/why...uch-a-difference.855479/page-88#post-14621862

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #1,732 of 5,761
Hey Guys, after lusting and wanting the TA-ZH1ES, i finally pulled the trigger and got 1. Now my question is what USB cable is good to get for this badboy. Any Suggestions is welcome. Thank you

I second the Audioquest Carbon or Cinnamon.

I have the Carbon to attach my WM1Z in the Sony dock to the TA and the Cinnamon to attach my WM1A in the Sony dock on my other TA.

In sighted tests the $170 AudioQuest Carbon USB introduces a better bass detail response going from dock to TA amp using Z1R headphones and Kimber Kable. The treble is slightly expanded and more detailed. Overall imaging has been refined and delineated. Everything somehow seems faster. As posted earlier, blind tests will be done soon to see if I could pick the cable out amung three drugstore USB cables being randomly switched in....or not.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #1,733 of 5,761
Is the TA a good match for the Focal Utopia? Trying to decide on a proper DAC/amp for these cans (currently driving them out of the QP2R DAP).

I have my eyes set on these options:

1. Sony TA-ZH1ES (beautiful, multiple balanced and unbalanced connections, very versatile)
2. Woo Audio WA8 (beautiful, portable, limited availability in Europe)
3. Questyle CMA800i (proven synergy with Focal cans)
4. RME ADI DAC (cheapest of the bunch, not a fan of its looks)

Any opinions of the above options?

Are there any TA-ZH1ES owners in Europe willing to part with the device? I might be willing to buy one :)

Dec 28, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #1,735 of 5,761
Finally got the device, first impressions are phenomenal... The synergy with the Utopia is magical!

Anyways, while it's burning in, I'd like to ask a question in regards to Roon ROCK and TA compatibility. Under ROCK there is no option to set up "native DSD" transfer method, only DSD over PCM.

Rock Sony.jpeg

Any ideas?

Dec 28, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #1,736 of 5,761
Finally got the device, first impressions are phenomenal... The synergy with the Utopia is magical!

Anyways, while it's burning in, I'd like to ask a question in regards to Roon ROCK and TA compatibility. Under ROCK there is no option to set up "native DSD" transfer method, only DSD over PCM.

Any ideas?

Enjoy!

Dec 28, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #1,737 of 5,761

Any ideas?

DSD over PCM is still DSD. It's just the transfer method. It doesn't matter; part of why you paid so much money for your Tazzy is that it can convert PCM to DSD on the fly. Any high quality PCM source will be DSD with DSD remastering on.

If you're a true purist, you'll want a player that can output DSD to DSD and your device should show that.

Dec 28, 2018 at 11:02 PM Post #1,738 of 5,761

Any ideas?

DSD over PCM is still DSD. It's just the transfer method. It doesn't matter; part of why you paid so much money for your Tazzy is that it can convert PCM to DSD on the fly. Any high quality PCM source will be DSD with DSD remastering on.

If you're a true purist, you'll want a player that can output DSD to DSD and your device should show that.

So when he gets a 1A?

From the Walkman information page:

“Q4: Is native DSD playback possible by USB DAC?

A4: Yes, it is. (DSD 2.8MHz/1bit and 5.6MHz/1bit are supported)
For native DSD playback, a device and an application that support native DSD playback are necessary.
To perform native DSD playback, check the settings and specifications of your playback device and application.”

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #1,739 of 5,761
So when he gets a 1A?

From the Walkman information page:

“Q4: Is native DSD playback possible by USB DAC?

A4: Yes, it is. (DSD 2.8MHz/1bit and 5.6MHz/1bit are supported)
For native DSD playback, a device and an application that support native DSD playback are necessary.
To perform native DSD playback, check the settings and specifications of your playback device and application.”

The TA-ZH1ES supports native DSD playback. Unlike every other device on the market, it also can transcode sources in real time to DSD.

Dec 29, 2018 at 4:18 AM Post #1,740 of 5,761

Any ideas?

Roon Rock runs on Linux. Native DSD only works with Linux if a driver is written for the specific DAC being used. Thus far, there is no Linux native DSD driver for the TA. But who cares, it makes literally no difference to what data is converted to analogue inside the TA. Chill out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back