The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Dec 29, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #1,741 of 5,761
Still running my Utopia's from the 3.5mm unbalanced output. Can't wait for the balanced 4.4mm Axios to arrive.

Is there an uplift in sound quality when using the balanced outputs? Somebody on this thread said he couldn't detect any difference between the two.

Dec 29, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #1,742 of 5,761
Still running my Utopia's from the 3.5mm unbalanced output. Can't wait for the balanced 4.4mm Axios to arrive.

Is there an uplift in sound quality when using the balanced outputs? Somebody on this thread said he couldn't detect any difference between the two.

I don’t have your exact headphones but you will most likely notice a significant improvement.

Dec 29, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #1,743 of 5,761
I don’t have your exact headphones but you will most likely notice a significant improvement.

Certainly hope so! I have a silver cable with a 2.5mm trrs plug, so I ordered a 2.5mm to 4.4mm adapter from Oidio Sound UK to serve me until the Axios arrives. The adapter is rather cheap, but it will do the job hopefully. Probably the worst time of the year for making online orders, but I hope it won't take too long to get to me.

Dec 29, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #1,744 of 5,761
Dec 30, 2018 at 5:23 AM Post #1,745 of 5,761
It's remarkable how the TA never sounds bright or harsh, even with low quality files. It provides this phenomenal dark liquidity of sound. It is never dry and never analytical, it presents the music in a liquid and "musical" form, as a whole. It doesn't force you to keep focused on a particular instrument or voice, it always presents the whole piece of music. The details and the soundstage are there, but nothing jumps out to say:"Hey look, I'm here!". It is perhaps a touch slower in terms of PRaT (especially when compared to Questyle's current mode amplification devices like the QP2R). But it's more musical, that's for sure. You can put the cans and enjoy for hours without a hint of fatigue. Really remarkable. These are my initial impressions after two days of listening. Sony do know a thing or two about audio, when they want to do it properly.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2018 at 6:16 AM Post #1,746 of 5,761
It's remarkable how the TA never sounds bright or harsh, even with low quality files. It provides this phenomenal dark liquidity of sound. It is never dry and never analytical, it presents the music in a liquid and "musical" form, as a whole. It doesn't force you to keep focused on a particular instrument or voice, it always presents the whole piece of music. The details and the soundstage are there, but nothing jumps out to say:"Hey look, I'm here!". It is perhaps a touch slower in terms of PRaT (especially when compared to Questyle's current mode amplification devices like the QP2R). But it's more musical, that's for sure. You can put the cans and enjoy for hours without a hint of fatigue. Really remarkable. These are my initial impressions after two days of listening. Sony do know a thing or two about audio, when they want to do it properly.

I feel the best word to describe the sound is natural.

The fun part for you will be the upgrades. Getting the Kimber cable, getting a Walkman for a source. The TA just keeps going along with the upgrade program, in that refined and slighly out of the way way. Interesting as it can border on too smooth or too almost dark with some IEMs I have. But if I was going to choose a side to be on, I would rather it be on the side the TA is on than the bright and screechy side. :)

They smooth out even farther after 100 hours of listening. IMO

You will not believe it when you get the cable and Walkman! I haven’t even heard the Axios or your headphones, but can guess your going to get a nice influx of detail and otherworldly smoothness, like you never heard from headphones.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #1,747 of 5,761
I feel the best word to describe the sound is natural.

The fun part for you will be the upgrades. Getting the Kimber cable, getting a Walkman for a source. The TA just keeps going along with the upgrade program, in that refined and slighly out of the way way. Interesting as it can border on too smooth or too almost dark with some IEMs I have. But if I was going to choose a side to be on, I would rather it be on the side the TA is on than the bright and screechy side. :)

They smooth out even farther after 100 hours of listening. IMO

You will not believe it when you get the cable and Walkman! I haven’t even heard the Axios or your headphones, but can guess your going to get a nice influx of detail and otherworldly smoothness, like you never heard from headphones.

Can’t wait for the Walkman and the cradle! My friend is in Barcelona at the moment and he will visit the SuperSonido store on Monday. Hopefully they have it in stock :)

Dec 30, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #1,748 of 5,761
Can’t wait for the Walkman and the cradle! My friend is in Barcelona at the moment and he will visit the SuperSonido store on Monday. Hopefully they have it in stock :)
They only have them in stores in Japan. Picked-up mine in Tokyo. You will need to order it from Amazon or EBay.

Dec 30, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #1,749 of 5,761
The docking is worth it for sound quality improvements alone if you intend to use Sony Walkmans as a digital transport to amp or DAC. I have couple of them myself.

Dec 30, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #1,750 of 5,761
Hello, I need help. Bought a ta-zh1es a month ago and was using it with a wm-1a and a doc station while my pc was broken. And few days ago i connect dac to pc on windows without installing any drivers. It works fine with audirvana, but when I try Roon (on trial) I cant turn on asio, it cant see it, only wasapi. I tried installing drivers but it didn’t help. Mb you have some thoughts? Thank you for help.
P.S I like the sound from the doc more than from pc.

Dec 31, 2018 at 12:52 AM Post #1,751 of 5,761
May I ask the zh1es can use the pre out connect to my newly bought active speaker (adam t5v) ? I have read the manual and guess this should be okay.
Also, the difference between 'fixed' and 'variable' is either the volume control by the TA or the speakers? If I use pre out from TA, this means it only provide DAC function?
Thanks for help and sorry for my bad english

Dec 31, 2018 at 1:02 AM Post #1,752 of 5,761
May I ask the zh1es can use the pre out connect to my newly bought active speaker (adam t5v) ? I have read the manual and guess this should be okay.
Also, the difference between 'fixed' and 'variable' is either the volume control by the TA or the speakers? If I use pre out from TA, this means it only provide DAC function?
Thanks for help and sorry for my bad english

Yes you can use the pre out to a set of active speakers. If you use fixed you get at standard about 2 volt fixed line signal and control volume on the speakers. If you use variable the TA acts like a pre amp and you can control volume from the TA

Dec 31, 2018 at 1:14 AM Post #1,753 of 5,761
Yes you can use the pre out to a set of active speakers. If you use fixed you get at standard about 2 volt fixed line signal and control volume on the speakers. If you use variable the TA acts like a pre amp and you can control volume from the TA

Thank you for reply first. This means both 'fixed' and ' variable' are ignoring the amp in TA? and for my case, the TA act as DAC only, and the amplifer are using my active speaker inside? In my understanding the DAC cannot control because it only convert the digial source to analog, just like the DAP's line out to a portable amp...

I am new speaker player, and i was afraid the amplifing process twice in TA and Active speaker and cause malfunction..

Dec 31, 2018 at 1:42 AM Post #1,754 of 5,761
Typically you want to use the line out. You can choose either with the TA. But typically line out in a regular amp bypasses the volume control section and offers a cleaner signal. So different than many DACs there is no digital out. Your choosing line out and using the RCA analog signal. Cheers.

Your not double amping with line out. Only using the TA as a DAC.

Typically if you could use the volume to get stuff louder you know it would be double amping.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 1:52 AM Post #1,755 of 5,761
Typically you want to use the line out. You can choose either with the TA. But typically line out in a regular amp bypasses the volume control section and offers a cleaner signal. So different than many DACs there is no digital out. Your choosing line out and using the RCA analog signal. Cheers.

Your not double amping with line out. Only using the TA as a DAC.

Typically if you could use the volume to get stuff louder you know it would be double amping.

I think I understand what you are talking about...That means the 'variable' and 'fixed' pre out setting in TA are both line out? If I want to have cleaner signal, I should use 'fixed' pre out and control the volume from my active speakers?
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back