The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Dec 31, 2018 at 2:03 AM Post #1,756 of 5,761
Thank you for reply first. This means both 'fixed' and ' variable' are ignoring the amp in TA? and for my case, the TA act as DAC only, and the amplifer are using my active speaker inside? In my understanding the DAC cannot control because it only convert the digial source to analog, just like the DAP's line out to a portable amp...

I am new speaker player, and i was afraid the amplifing process twice in TA and Active speaker and cause malfunction..

I think I understand what you are talking about...That means the 'variable' and 'fixed' pre out setting in TA are both line out? If I want to have cleaner signal, I should use 'fixed' pre out and control the volume from my active speakers?
Thanks.

There is only one line out setting. You choose line out and the volume knob is non-functional. The other way is preamp out where you can use the remote control or the volume knob to change the volume. You will want to have the line out mode and change the volume on your speakers.

The preamp out would be if you hooked the TA out to a power amp. Power amps are 100% on all the time so the volume would be controlled by the TA in that case. But because your speakers are powered with a separate volume control you choose line out only.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 4:09 AM Post #1,757 of 5,761
Thank you for reply first. This means both 'fixed' and ' variable' are ignoring the amp in TA? and for my case, the TA act as DAC only, and the amplifer are using my active speaker inside? In my understanding the DAC cannot control because it only convert the digial source to analog, just like the DAP's line out to a portable amp...

I am new speaker player, and i was afraid the amplifing process twice in TA and Active speaker and cause malfunction..

Yes you are bypassing the amp part of the TA, this part is only used for headphones. Volume control and all other signal processing is done in the digital domain so fixed line out grabs the signal before volume control while variable grabs the signal after volume control

Dec 31, 2018 at 4:11 AM Post #1,758 of 5,761
There is only one line out setting. You choose line out and the volume knob is non-functional. The other way is preamp out where you can use the remote control or the volume knob to change the volume. You will want to have the line out mode and change the volume on your speakers.

The preamp out would be if you hooked the TA out to a power amp. Power amps are 100% on all the time so the volume would be controlled by the TA in that case. But because your speakers are powered with a separate volume control you choose line out only.

Either way is equally good as the volume is done digitally, both are line out. Just a matter of which volume is more convenient to use

Dec 31, 2018 at 4:13 AM Post #1,759 of 5,761
Either way is equally good as the volume is done digitally, both are line out. Just a matter of which volume is more convenient to use
Yes, that’s good to know. I suspected that may be the case. Thank-you.

Dec 31, 2018 at 4:30 AM Post #1,761 of 5,761
I am completely understand now, for me the variable is more convenientbecause the volume control of my speaker are on the behind. Thanks.

It is good to know, as it’s different than the way we have done it for years and years, before digital volume control.

Dec 31, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #1,762 of 5,761
I feel the best word to describe the sound is natural.

The fun part for you will be the upgrades. Getting the Kimber cable, getting a Walkman for a source. The TA just keeps going along with the upgrade program, in that refined and slighly out of the way way. Interesting as it can border on too smooth or too almost dark with some IEMs I have. But if I was going to choose a side to be on, I would rather it be on the side the TA is on than the bright and screechy side. :)

They smooth out even farther after 100 hours of listening. IMO

You will not believe it when you get the cable and Walkman! I haven’t even heard the Axios or your headphones, but can guess your going to get a nice influx of detail and otherworldly smoothness, like you never heard from headphones.

@Redcarmoose, not sure if you have try to compare, is there any difference in sound quality by connecting 1Z vs 1A to TA with the cradle?

Dec 31, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #1,763 of 5,761
@Redcarmoose, not sure if you have try to compare, is there any difference in sound quality by connecting 1Z vs 1A to TA with the cradle?

There is no difference. How could there be? As audiophiles we can think up stacks of enhancements but if non-scientific, then it’s just speculation.

1Z has a different case 100% copper vs aluminum, a wash.

1Z has different wires in the amp section; a wash.

1Z has different capacitors (I think?) again a wash.

So nothing effecting how a digital transport would perform.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #1,764 of 5,761
There is no difference. How could there be? As audiophiles we can think up stacks of enhancements but if non-scientific, then it’s just speculation.

1Z has a different case 100% copper vs aluminum, a wash.

1Z has different wires in the amp section; a wash.

1Z has different capacitors (I think?) again a wash.

So nothing effecting how a digital transport would perform.

Cheers!

This is what I thought.

Thank you and wish you have a happy new year

Jan 2, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #1,766 of 5,761
Happy New Year all.

Is there a difference in sound quality depending on what input is used on the TA, between:
1. Optical Input.
2. USB Input.
3. Sony Walkman Input.

Pretty big difference when trying a CD player as transport going SPDIF TOSLINK RCA digital in as in comparison to either regular USB or Walkman input (mini-USB). The CD method results in a sound which is not only lower in volume but seems to offer lower resolution after a volume match?

That difference is a style of sound degradation. That’s using a Rega Planet as a transport. It’s never been explained why there is a major improvement using the DAPs as a source?

So it pretty much means someone needs to rip all their CDs and put them into the Walkman DAPs or a computer. The hierarchy goes:

1) Walkman Cradle then to USB cable TA back
2) Walkman USB adapter to USB cable TA back
3) Walkman included cable to TA side
4) Computer USB to TA back
5) TOSLINK RCA cable TA back CD player as transport

Don’t have a way to listen to CD optical TOSLINK so it’s not on the list. Though take into account others have suggested optical to maybe be a better way. So it’s ironic that people feel the Sony included methodology of mini USB to be the 3rd best way. Sony includes a mini USB cable which has an additional plug which only gets used as physical support running parallel to the plug.

Note:
The dock has the equivalent of a USB filter, so that may explain it’s benefits over the adapter cable with a regular USB? The dock also has PC pass through, though I have never used it that way. The back of the dock has a mini USB input for the computer and a regular USB output for the TA. I assume Sony expects people to run their computers through the dock after switching the rear selection two way switch? If anything I guess the USB filter in the dock would help the computer as a source, though I don’t use it that way.

Remember 1-4 sound fairly close to the same, meaning it could be debatable if there was a difference. IMO Also though at times the computer for what ever reason was noticeable as not as good as the dock. Basically if you have the dock it’s what you use.

Disclaimer:
These are my subjective feelings on sound, but also this is the basic thought here. The DAPs in the cradle offer the best sound.

Also remember this is a fairly difficult thing to test. To figure the TA simply doesn’t have a good methodology for RCA digital off a CD transport would mean testing it against a different DAC/amp or DAC and amplifier. The improvements heard are possibly a result of the TA? I personally only have one other standard DAC (Cambridge Audio DACMagic Plus) and amplifier (Asgard One) to do a direct comparison. But it’s not a fair fight as the Asgard is not balanced. I haven’t gone and tried to compare single ended to single ended. But memeory serves me to realize the difference between the two systems does not warrant a test; as the TA wins.

This is coming from someone who had preferences of using a CD player to a DAC, over a computer to a DAC in the past.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019 at 7:57 AM Post #1,767 of 5,761
Pretty big difference when trying a CD player as transport going SPDIF TOSLINK RCA digital in as in comparison to either regular USB or Walkman input (mini-USB). The CD method results in a sound which is not only lower in volume but seems to offer lower resolution after a volume match?

That difference is a style of sound degradation. That’s using a Rega Planet as a transport. It’s never been explained why there is a major improvement using the DAPs as a source?

So it pretty much means someone needs to rip all their CDs and put them into the Walkman DAPs or a computer. The hierarchy goes:

1) Walkman Cradle then to USB cable TA back
2) Walkman USB adapter to USB cable TA back
3) Walkman included cable to TA side
4) Computer USB to TA back
5) TOSLINK RCA cable TA back CD player as transport

Don’t have a way to listen to CD optical TOSLINK so it’s not on the list. Though take into account others have suggested optical to maybe be a better way. So it’s ironic that people feel the Sony included methodology of mini USB to be the 3rd best way. Sony includes a mini USB cable which has an additional plug which only gets used as physical support running parallel to the plug.

Note:
The dock has the equivalent of a USB filter, so that may explain it’s benefits over the adapter cable with a regular USB? The dock also has PC pass through, though I have never used it that way. The back of the dock has a mini USB input for the computer and a regular USB output for the TA. I assume Sony expects people to run their computers through the dock after switching the rear selection two way switch? If anything I guess the USB filter in the dock would help the computer as a source, though I don’t use it that way.

Remember 1-4 sound fairly close to the same, meaning it could be debatable if there was a difference. IMO Also though at times the computer for what ever reason was noticeable as not as good as the dock. Basically if you have the dock it’s what you use.

Disclaimer:
These are my subjective feelings on sound, but also this is the basic thought here. The DAPs in the cradle offer the best sound.

Also remember this is a fairly difficult thing to test. To figure the TA simply doesn’t have a good methodology for RCA digital off a CD transport would mean testing it against a different DAC/amp or DAC and amplifier. The improvements heard are possibly a result of the TA? I personally only have one other standard DAC (Cambridge Audio DACMagic Plus) and amplifier (Asgard One) to do a direct comparison. But it’s not a fair fight as the Asgard is not balanced. I haven’t gone and tried to compare single ended to single ended. But memeory serves me to realize the difference between the two systems does not warrant a test; as the TA wins.

This is coming from someone who had preferences of using a CD player to a DAC, over a computer to a DAC in the past.

Many many thanks for such a detailed and intelligent response.
Unfortunately I am a little confused.

Can you simplify my options for best audio based on this:
1. I will not be using the Optical connection as it is connected to another device already - my TV.
2. My music is original CD’s which are already RIPPED AS AIFF format on my Apple Computer - iTunes.
3. I don’t think the DOCKING STATION is sold here in the UK.

Jan 3, 2019 at 8:01 AM Post #1,768 of 5,761
I previously connected my iPad to the TA via USB using the Sony USB cable. Played AIFF music on iPad.
Was very disappointed with this configuration.

Actually sounds much better when i play music from my TV [YOUTUBE] into the TA - VIA Optical cable.

Jan 3, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #1,769 of 5,761
I previously connected my iPad to the TA via USB using the Sony USB cable. Played AIFF music on iPad.
Was very disappointed with this configuration.

Actually sounds much better when i play music from my TV [YOUTUBE] into the TA - VIA Optical cable.

Please note that quality od the USB cable plays a major role in my experience.

Regarding different configurations, for example my LG G7 phone via USB to the TA sounds much better than my Roon ROCK server (based on Intel i5 NUC and powered by linear PSU) via USB into the TA. The USB cable is the same, Phasure Lush^2. The battery powered phone sounds noticeably clearer in the midrange, with better defined bass and more extended treble.

I expect further improvements when both my WM1A and the docking station arrive (not to forget the Kimber Axios balanced cable).

So you should play with different configurations and see which one works best for you.

Jan 3, 2019 at 8:19 AM Post #1,770 of 5,761
Many many thanks for such a detailed and intelligent response.
Unfortunately I am a little confused.

Can you simplify my options for best audio based on this:
1. I will not be using the Optical connection as it is connected to another device already - my TV.
2. My music is original CD’s which are already RIPPED AS AIFF format on my Apple Computer - iTunes.
3. I don’t think the DOCKING STATION is sold here in the UK.

You have to remember that my writing is just my own critical opinion based on experience. If anything we as a group are spending money for audio quality and the quest of.............. otherwise we would be happy with any equipment, and not even look into the TA.

With that said the TA will sound great with your Apple Computer. You may want to try different USB cables, I use the AudioQuest Carbon USB cable. There maybe other software which enables your computer to sound better with the TA? A friend of mine likeshttps://audirvana.com/. They offer a free trial too if your curious!

I probably thought when you listed Walkman input you were thinking of using a Walkman as a source. That is a fairly common question with the use of the TA. Also there is no other way to use the Walkman input unless you somehow find a USB cable with the funny Walkman plug on the other end. They do come around as that’s not a strictly Sony plug. Also I’m pretty sure you could get a USB to Mini usb plug which would fit the side of the TA, your just not getting the side stability plug like the included end Sony includes for the Walkman to TA.

The docking station is a Japan only device, though it can be purchased from Amazon.com or Ebay. Though if you do get interested in getting better sound quality from a computer, a USB filter or the Carbon USB cable may help.

https://www.head-fi.org/members/soundizer.442468/
Note his suggestion.

Now I will point out something that few know about Apple Laptops. The mini analog plug actually has an optical feed. Many have felt this silly $6 cable was miles better than USB. Not sure but simply reposting what others have posted; I don’t use my Apple Laptop for a source. Not sure what the port limits are. Though if your only 16bit/44.1 you should be fine.

https://www.amazon.com/Toslink-Fosmon-Digital-Optical-Chromecast/dp/B01MY2DJUM

Even though your using the optical input, I’m pretty sure there are optical input splitters alowing to use one optical input at a time but not both at once?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06XCW78NY/ref=sspa_mw_detail_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pretty sure this device works in both directions, why would it not?

Note Lawgone is running one in reverse and it works fine and better than a switch because you don’t have to switch it each time, just turn the other device off. https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/digital-optical-splitter-227763/

Still you will want to do side by side comparisons using the optical splitter to make sure the sound is not altered by the splitter or degraded in any way.

Check your specifications as most Apple laptops do have the optical out; but a few don’t.
——————————————
Only works with the following devices:
-MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013 and later / Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013 and later)
-Mac Pro (Late 2013) / Mini (Late 2014)
-iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2014)
-Apple Hi-Fi / Airport
————————————

But USB will be fine with a regular USB cable. Though if you get bored try different stuff like the Carbon cable or optical TOSLINK from your laptop audio port. Also I may remember you may have to go into the sound section of your laptop and note what level of sound quality it is at by default? That may only be important to people using their computer for larger bandwidth files like 24/96? I’m also assuming you have an Apple laptop as very few own anything else other than an Apple laptop? Few own full-size Apple computers nowadays. Lol

Cheers!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back