The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Apr 29, 2018 at 5:41 AM Post #1,396 of 5,761
Absolutely. It really sounds gorgeous. Prior to the Sony I had used much smaller, more portable amps (Mojo, Micro iDSD, Hifi M8), all of which actually drove the LCD-3’s satisfactorily (I listen to mainly classical orchestral music), but there’s now a much greater sense of “ease”, unrestricted dynamics, and limitless headroom with the Sony.

I found my Chord Mojo drives my Focal Utopia's ok 'ish ... but put them on the Sony and they are much more alive. I only use the Mojo now with my Clears and the Utopia's sit plugged in permanently to the Sony amp ... for more needy headphones a more powerful amp does seem to make the difference.

Apr 29, 2018 at 5:53 AM Post #1,397 of 5,761
Absolutely. It really sounds gorgeous. Prior to the Sony I had used much smaller, more portable amps (Mojo, Micro iDSD, Hifi M8), all of which actually drove the LCD-3’s satisfactorily (I listen to mainly classical orchestral music), but there’s now a much greater sense of “ease”, unrestricted dynamics, and limitless headroom with the Sony.
thank you. i am sold and will be looking for TA now.

May 5, 2018 at 4:51 PM Post #1,398 of 5,761
Just bought the Ifi xDSD for portability when travelling. Much of the chatter about this amp/DAC (look at the thread) suggests that it exceeds the Mojo and is close to Hugo2. Well, I can tell you it doesn't begin to compare with the Sony (I'm using Z1R phones) – the sound is thin, lacks presence by comparison, I keep turning it up and even loud it's recessed. Of course a $400 gizmo shouldn't sound as good as the Sony, but after the hype I was nervous that the Sony might be showing its age. So it isn't about the latest tech (the xDSD is impressively advanced), it's about using the tech to bring the presence of music. My big system is Naim, so you know what I mean...

May 5, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #1,399 of 5,761
Hello fellow Naim user!

Shameless plug - for anyone interested PM me - I might be putting my new TA up for sale

May 6, 2018 at 7:36 AM Post #1,400 of 5,761
In terms of DAC section by connecting with external amplifier, how does TA-ZH1ES compare with Chord Hugo?
Thanks.

May 6, 2018 at 7:57 AM Post #1,401 of 5,761
In terms of DAC section by connecting with external amplifier, how does TA-ZH1ES compare with Chord Hugo?
Thanks.

I had the Sony TA-ZH1ES and have the Chord Qutest. I've used both connected to a BHSE and Stax 007. While it's not the Hugo 2, the Qutest was more refined, more alive, more musical and more resolving than the Sony; and that's with the Qutest's standard power supply. Last week, I received the Uptone LPS 1.2 and the sonic improvements have taken a large step forward.

May 7, 2018 at 2:46 AM Post #1,403 of 5,761
Did it work for you (tradyblix)? I suppose it did otherwise you haven't suggested it or?. I have the 1.0.3 and it still upscale.

Last edited:
May 7, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #1,406 of 5,761
I've had my eye on this unit for some time, but here in Canada the pricing is silly and it never goes on sale. However it seems that there are some good prices on these now and I have ordered one to try out. I can't say that I am unhappy with what I am using at the moment, just curious about the Sony.

May 7, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #1,407 of 5,761
I've had my eye on this unit for some time, but here in Canada the pricing is silly and it never goes on sale. However it seems that there are some good prices on these now and I have ordered one to try out. I can't say that I am unhappy with what I am using at the moment, just curious about the Sony.

I’ve had the unit for just over 2 weeks now, and I still love it. As others have said here, its sound signature is very warm and analog-like. For me it excels in that elusive quality known as “PRaT” (Pace, Rhythm, and Timing). Until I got the Sony, I’ve always thought that PRaT was another one of those vague, imaginary terms that some audiophiles typically use to describe a component’s sound quality, but darned if I didn’t experience it myself with the Sony. I now find myself listening more to the music itself (and being more involved in it) rather than the sound quality per se, which is what it’s supposed to be all about.

May 8, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #1,408 of 5,761
Just unpacked mine and set it up and I am finding that while connected to a PC via USB it will only work with the Sony music player. Tidal, iTunes, Jriver etc. wont work. This is a bit weird. Does anyone have it hooked up to a PC?

May 8, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #1,409 of 5,761
Just unpacked mine and set it up and I am finding that while connected to a PC via USB it will only work with the Sony music player. Tidal, iTunes, Jriver etc. wont work. This is a bit weird. Does anyone have it hooked up to a PC?

Did you install the appropriate driver? The Sony requires a driver if connected to a PC. (Mine’s connected to a Mac, so no driver is necessary.)

May 8, 2018 at 11:22 PM Post #1,410 of 5,761
Did you install the appropriate driver? The Sony requires a driver if connected to a PC. (Mine’s connected to a Mac, so no driver is necessary.)

It initially installed a Sony driver that didn't work. I cleaned it off and did a re-initialization and got the proper updated driver. The working driver for Win 10 even installs a little ASIO control panel.

Pretty relieved to get it sorted out as the amp sounded strange and uncoordinated with the Windows USB 2 sound driver.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back