The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Sep 12, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #1,174 of 5,761
Sep 12, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #1,175 of 5,761
Quick question. Does TA-ZH1ES have separate grounds in the 4.4 balanced out?

No.

It is fully balanced so R+, L+, R-, L- and therefore no ground at all

Sep 12, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #1,177 of 5,761
So the channels don't share ground? Wondering only because one of my friends is asking. Seems like "true balanced" signal chain is very rare in the amplifier world.

There is no ground in balanced and there are manny balanced amps but naturally many more single ended amps

Sep 14, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #1,179 of 5,761
Has anyone compared the Sony TA-ZH1ES with the new(ish) Sennheiser HDV820? It seems the TA-ZH1ES and HD800s work quite well together so this seems an interesting comparison.
I havent compared both amp, but i didn't like how HD800s sound via ZH1ES

Sep 14, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #1,181 of 5,761
I thought the HD800S sounded very good with it. The warmth of the TA-ZH1ES helped to offset the slightly thin nature of the headphones.

I believe @purk thought it was a very good match too.
Not for me, or maybe i just don't like how HD800s sounds in general. But, HD800s sounds ok when i listened it via neutral amp (ifi idsd BL)

Sep 15, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #1,182 of 5,761
I agree that it would be nice with a comparison with the HDVD820. As I stated in that thread, I think that Sennheiser missed a great opportunity with the late HDVD820, and I honestly couldn't live without a remote. But that obviously doesn't tell anything about the sound.

When people are pairing the ZH1 with the Utopia and apparently love the combination, then it apparently scales well regarding the quality of headphones you combine it with. I think the HD800S + ZH1 is an excellent match. I did manage to try two other higher-end combos within my 14 days of return period - actually mainly due to other concerns I had. Secondly, I think the "warmth" of the ZH1 is overrated - I at least wasn't able to tell a difference between the Violectric V281 that I wasn't sure was down to placebo or just difference in placement/fit issues of the HD800S, which is my main issue with them. I certainly wouldn't want less warmth. :D

Sep 15, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #1,183 of 5,761
I agree that it would be nice with a comparison with the HDVD820. As I stated in that thread, I think that Sennheiser missed a great opportunity with the late HDVD820, and I honestly couldn't live without a remote. But that obviously doesn't tell anything about the sound.

When people are pairing the ZH1 with the Utopia and apparently love the combination, then it apparently scales well regarding the quality of headphones you combine it with. I think the HD800S + ZH1 is an excellent match. I did manage to try two other higher-end combos within my 14 days of return period - actually mainly due to other concerns I had. Secondly, I think the "warmth" of the ZH1 is overrated - I at least wasn't able to tell a difference between the Violectric V281 that I wasn't sure was down to placebo or just difference in placement/fit issues of the HD800S, which is my main issue with them. I certainly wouldn't want less warmth. :D
Oh yes, i do love how my Utopia sounds with ZH1ES. They are just amazing.

Sep 15, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #1,184 of 5,761
The ZH1ES is one very fine performer as long as you don't plan to drive those inefficient Orthos and overly warmth and bassy headphones. I still think that the HD800s can go a little further with beefier amplifiers compared to the ZH1ES but the ZH1ES does work really well with both the Utopia and HD800. I personally don't enjoy the Z1R & ZH1ES pairing - too warmth and bassy of a combo for me.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #1,185 of 5,761
The ZH1ES is one very fine performer as long as you don't plan to drive those inefficient Orthos and overly warmth and bassy headphones. I still think that the HD800s can go a little further with beefier amplifiers compared to the ZH1ES but the ZH1ES doesn't work really well with both the Utopia and HD800. I personally don't enjoy the Z1R & ZH1ES pairing - too warmth and bassy of a combo for me.

Did you mean they do work well with ZH1ES?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back