The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Dec 31, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #256 of 5,766
How about buying 1 and open it up to see for yourself
biggrin.gif

Done, just placed the order.

Dec 31, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #259 of 5,766

One last question (I promise
biggrin.gif
)!
Is it fully balanced? The whole circuit starting from the USB in to 4 pin XLR?

It sure sound like a really good balanced amp.  I would rate the Z1ES as being better than the Senn HDVD-800 and considerably better than the Oppo HA-1.  

Jan 1, 2017 at 6:41 AM Post #262 of 5,766
Perhaps Sony thought not worth stating the obvious..... It can be taken as insult in Japanese culture :)

No, this is more like a case of Sony trying to not disclose too much about their technology. The following is observations and speculations :

The inner circuitry is S-Master + Analog Hybrid, you can call it Direct Digital and Analog hybrid converter. If you follow Sony WM Walkman, they already stated that they do not use Dual DAC for true balanced out in the Walkman 4.4mm. It is just simply because they revised their technology in S-Master, which allow it to fully act as a Balanced processor itself with the design around true balanced output.

Now, the above means that if someone is using Es9018S (Single DAC chip) and do true balanced out, it still have to be processed by the same single chip. In this case, it is the new S-Master HX.

Beside, I already said that, balanced out is 1200 mW, and unbalanced is 300 mW only. That is the indication of true balanced out. Knowing how well Sony is pushing Balanced connection lately, I say that this is true balanced out. It sounds like one, power output is like 1

Jan 1, 2017 at 7:01 AM Post #263 of 5,766
Sony also didn't advertise that the ZX2 supports TRRS and that it's digital output is superb. There are lots of examples where the community had to do some 'digging'. Sony not advertising somthing doesn't mean it's not there.

Jan 1, 2017 at 7:16 AM Post #264 of 5,766
Sony also didn't advertise that the ZX2 supports TRRS and that it's digital output is superb. There are lots of examples where the community had to do some 'digging'. Sony not advertising somthing doesn't mean it's not there.

They don't even advertise Single ended 3.5mm on WM series support TRRS just as much as Zx2 :D

Jan 1, 2017 at 7:24 AM Post #265 of 5,766
To be honest, Japanese companies are quite far behind when it comes to properly advertising their product or achievements. Just think Onkyo/Pioneer released XDP100/DP-X1 when for a while you couldn't find product description or manual in English. Its s shame really. My brother in law (Japanese) works in Hitachi and is doing some really cool stuff on Artificial Intelligence but feels it will all go to dogs as his company doesn't know how to sell it to earn from it...

I am not sure if this is language issue though. Every Japanese product I buy comes with an elaborate paper manual...

Jan 1, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #266 of 5,766

Perhaps Sony thought not worth stating the obvious..... It can be taken as insult in Japanese culture :)

Maybe Sony assumes it is obvious, but sadly there are many other companies that sell amps with balanced out BUT the circuit is not fully balanced from input to output.
I don't want to mention names to start a war on this thread, as many members are tied with companies. 

Jan 1, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #267 of 5,766
No, this is more like a case of Sony trying to not disclose too much about their technology. The following is observations and speculations :

The inner circuitry is S-Master + Analog Hybrid, you can call it Direct Digital and Analog hybrid converter. If you follow Sony WM Walkman, they already stated that they do not use Dual DAC for true balanced out in the Walkman 4.4mm. It is just simply because they revised their technology in S-Master, which allow it to fully act as a Balanced processor itself with the design around true balanced output.

Now, the above means that if someone is using Es9018S (Single DAC chip) and do true balanced out, it still have to be processed by the same single chip. In this case, it is the new S-Master HX.

Beside, I already said that, balanced out is 1200 mW, and unbalanced is 300 mW only. That is the indication of true balanced out. Knowing how well Sony is pushing Balanced connection lately, I say that this is true balanced out. It sounds like one, power output is like 1

What is the equivalent of S-Master in other amps companies?  

Jan 1, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #268 of 5,766
Here is what I found about the S-Master (check bold font):

"S-Master Full Digital Amplifier
Sony’s Systems are equipped with S-Master Digital Amplifier for superb accuracy, clear separation of signals, and balanced sound reproduction using a digital-to-digital process. They are designed to be highly efficient, producing minimal heat while taking up about a quarter of the space of conventional amplifiers. 

S-Master accepts all digital signals in digital and cleanly amplifies the signal in “digital” without needing to convert it into analogue first. Using a simplified signal path and full digital processing, the audio signal is taken directly from DSP stage without additional D/A conversion. This keeps the purity of the digital audio signal right up to the final speaker output, reproducing a realistic sound experience just like the original recording."

Source: http://www.sony.co.in/article/210012/section/product/product/dav-dz150k

Jan 2, 2017 at 3:46 AM Post #269 of 5,766

What is the equivalent of S-Master in other amps companies?  

Class D amplifier?  The first of such amp in the headphone amplifier segment is the Audio-Technica ATH-DHA3000.  I have that amp and the ZH1ES is definitely more superior sounding to it.  "Balanced Sound Production" is different than a balanced amplifier IMO.  And the ZH1ES has a balanced amplification.

Jan 3, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #270 of 5,766
The ability to follow and trace after a line of sub-bass, guitar, violin, piano....whatever I wanted to from TA-ZH1ES and Z1R is such a privilege. Vividly following a line of play from the beginning to the end and into the power delivery, the energies, the dynamic headroom, reverb, resonance.....etc..... The first time I don't have the feeling of the separations between lines are mixed up, buried underneath another layer or being overpowered by others. WoooooWwwwOoooooo.

Sony, I thank you for having such excellent DAC, Amp such as TA-ZH1ES. This is really Sony, this is a Statement that "Sony is back, and will be stronger than ever". I believe "what doesn't kill you, make you stronger". I think I am seeing it here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back