The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Jan 5, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #286 of 5,799
My cables is a larger size of the Summit from what I gathered from recipes and technical aspects of Powercord cables. I made it for 3 leads, and even though the Ta only uses 2 leads, it worked flawlessly. There is an immediate improvements from listening between Power cables, and the main improvements that is noticeable right away was the Bass dynamic and power delivery

Does your power socket have 2 or three pins? Usually they should have 3 pins, but all pictures show the socket with 2 pins. Maybe it's just an Asian thing?

All aftermarket cable support 3 pins. Can't wait to get my ZH1ES. D

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #287 of 5,799
Does your power socket have 2 or three pins? Usually they should have 3 pins, but all pictures show the socket with 2 pins. Maybe it's just an Asian thing?

All aftermarket cable support 3 pins. Can't wait to get my ZH1ES. D

That is right, there is only 2 pins. My upgraded Powercord is 3 sockets, but that should not matter because the 3rd one is Ground.

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #288 of 5,799
That is right, there is only 2 pins. My upgraded Powercord is 3 sockets, but that should not matter because the 3rd one is Ground.

And we don't need ground?

God, I will spend approx. €900 on cables for the Z1HES (including an Audioquest Diamond cable....
rolleyes.gif
)

How can things get much better in the future?

Jan 5, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #289 of 5,799
And we don't need ground?

God, I will spend approx. €900 on cables for the Z1HES (including an Audioquest Diamond cable....:rolleyes: )

How can things get much better in the future?

No need for ground. It is most often connected to the chassis from the inside anyways. It can get better if you upgrade the inner wires that lead from the female socket into the board pins :D. This was advertised from EBay and china forum people. This is only example picture, and you can see the 3rd wires go into the chassis. TA does not use it, so we only has 2 main leads.

Jan 5, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #290 of 5,799
No need for ground. It is most often connected to the chassis from the inside anyways. It can get better if you upgrade the inner wires that lead from the female socket into the board pins
biggrin.gif
. This was advertised from EBay and china forum people. This is only example picture, and you can see the 3rd wires go into the chassis. TA does not use it, so we only has 2 main leads.

We audiophiles keep coming up with new ideas to spend even more money. 
biggrin.gif

Made my day!

Jan 5, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #291 of 5,799
We audiophiles keep coming up with new ideas to spend even more money.  :D

Made my day!

Lol, could be seen that way, but it made a lot of senses. These wires are typically multi stranded tinned copper, and it is no where as good as Ultra pure OCC....let alone pure silver or even silver gold :D. If Powercord shows that much improvements, then the last bottle neck would be this inner IC

Jan 6, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #293 of 5,799
The one I have is DIY, and as I linked, VHaudio do sell pre assembled Powercord. You can get it here. For how well mine is worth, yeah I do recommend it

https://www.vhaudio.com/powercables.html
Maybe try Isotek made in England. $75 and really assist the power supply on any amplifier.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jan 7, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #294 of 5,799
So curious about this amp/DAC! Not looking for any detailed A-B, but wonder if anyone has impressions of Z1HES vs. Grace m902, which seems at a comparable price point. Or even Simaudio Moon Neo 430HA...

Jan 7, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #295 of 5,799
  So curious about this amp/DAC! Not looking for any detailed A-B, but wonder if anyone has impressions of Z1HES vs. Grace m902, which seems at a comparable price point. Or even Simaudio Moon Neo 430HA...

I don't have the Grace M902 but I can tell you that the Z1HES falls just short of a dedicated top of the line balanced amp such as the GS-X MKII and such but totally best the Oppo HA-1.  It even best the Sennheiser HDVD-800 at driving the Senn HD800.  I am superbly impressed by the Z1HES.  Honest, I don't really think the Grace will stand any chance againt the ZH1ES.  Sony is truly back in the game.  Not only that it sounds great but the build quality is also the best in the business...and that's including Headamp GS-X MKII.

Jan 7, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #296 of 5,799
I don't have the Grace M902 but I can tell you that the Z1HES falls just short of a dedicated top of the line balanced amp such as the GS-X MKII and such but totally best the Oppo HA-1.  It even best the Sennheiser HDVD-800 at driving the Senn HD800.  I am superbly impressed by the Z1HES.  Honest, I don't really think the Grace will stand any chance againt the ZH1ES.  Sony is truly back in the game.  Not only that it sounds great but the build quality is also the best in the business...and that's including Headamp GS-X MKII.

Thanks for your input, Purk! You sold me. Perhaps Sony can return to their past form when they used to be the cutting edge, e.g., their VFET amps of yesteryear? If so, sign me up.

Jan 7, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #297 of 5,799
Yes, I agree with Purk. The TA is an immediate and day/night away from the Ha-1. It is very obvious that TA is just ways better than Ha-1. I don't have other desktop system to compare, but I can tell you that I know what good sounds should be like, and the TA is one of the very few that can express it. Especially the soundstage rendering , separations, the vividity of each layer, and that inner circle of the soundstage rendering is to die for. I have heard all kind, and to have the inner circle and the outer stage rendering to be this Spherical, wide, deep with vivid layering ? It is excellent

The TA in my opinion is worth every penny. The ability to follow an instrument from the beginning of a chord to the end of it, into the vibrator, then reverb....echo effects so vividly and so clear .

Jan 8, 2017 at 2:30 AM Post #299 of 5,799

Nice to read, that promises a lot. The quality of a GS-X but smoother with some warmth sure is appealing.

Don't forget TA is also a DAC. That has to be taken into account when comparing it to other amps and/or dacs.

Feature/spec-wise a TOTL dac if I got it right?

Jan 8, 2017 at 3:03 AM Post #300 of 5,799

Nice to read, that promises a lot. The quality of a GS-X but smoother with some warmth sure is appealing.

Feature/spec-wise a TOTL dac if I got it right?

By all accounts it's a very nice DAC. One limitation of the design however is that since the DAC and amp are integrated with each other the analog input is converted to digital then back to analog again. Users have stated that the sound quality suffers if you use an external DAC, so there's no real upgrade path with this amp. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back