The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Jan 3, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #271 of 5,796
The ability to follow and trace after a line of sub-bass, guitar, violin, piano....whatever I wanted to from TA-ZH1ES and Z1R is such a privilege. Vividly following a line of play from the beginning to the end and into the power delivery, the energies, the dynamic headroom, reverb, resonance.....etc..... The first time I don't have the feeling of the separations between lines are mixed up, buried underneath another layer or being overpowered by others. WoooooWwwwOoooooo.

Sony, I thank you for having such excellent DAC, Amp such as TA-ZH1ES. This is really Sony, this is a Statement that "Sony is back, and will be stronger than ever". I believe "what doesn't kill you, make you stronger". I think I am seeing it here

What's your thoughts on the DSD Re-mastering ? I wonder if it's the same DSD Re-mastering feature that is found on their HAP - Z1ES player ??

Jan 3, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #272 of 5,796

What's your thoughts on the DSD Re-mastering ? I wonder if it's the same DSD Re-mastering feature that is found on their HAP - Z1ES player ??

Not sure if it is the same but I read some where is that the one on here is the 2nd generation of DSD Re-mastering.  It maybe a gimmick but I love mine too.  Every file (beside DSD) just sound a little more analog and a touch more warmth.  I do have mine staying on at all time.

Jan 3, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #273 of 5,796
  Not sure if it is the same but I read some where is that the one on here is the 2nd generation of DSD Re-mastering.  It maybe a gimmick but I love mine too.  Every file (beside DSD) just sound a little more analog and a touch more warmth.  I do have mine staying on at all time.

I do have a HAP-S1 player, which doesn't have the DSD Remastering feature, but it sounds excellent, all the same ! I'd love to buy the DAC/ AMP, but wonder how much better it would be, than my HAP-S1 ???

Jan 3, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #275 of 5,796

I do have a HAP-S1 player, which doesn't have the DSD Remastering feature, but it sounds excellent, all the same ! I'd love to buy the DAC/ AMP, but wonder how much better it would be, than my HAP-S1 ???

It should be a substantial improvement especially in a balanced mode.  I really really do like the ZH1ES with all my headphones.  

purk how does it compare to the dac section of your yggy? 

I have not compared but I would say not quite as good but very good as a stand alone DAC; however, as sum of a dac & amp...the ZH1ES is a tremendous all-in-one unit.  For instance, the Yggy into the ZH1ES isn't as good as digital input into the ZH1ES.  However, this is due to the way that the digital amp needing to digitize the incoming analog signal from the Yggy.

Jan 3, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #276 of 5,796
​Quote:
The ability to follow and trace after a line of sub-bass, guitar, violin, piano....whatever I wanted to from TA-ZH1ES and Z1R is such a privilege. Vividly following a line of play from the beginning to the end and into the power delivery, the energies, the dynamic headroom, reverb, resonance.....etc..... The first time I don't have the feeling of the separations between lines are mixed up, buried underneath another layer or being overpowered by others. WoooooWwwwOoooooo.

Sony, I thank you for having such excellent DAC, Amp such as TA-ZH1ES. This is really Sony, this is a Statement that "Sony is back, and will be stronger than ever". I believe "what doesn't kill you, make you stronger". I think I am seeing it here

​I think somebody's in LOVE!
atsmile.gif

Jan 3, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #277 of 5,796

Not quite sure but what you are experiencing is the headphones (Z1R), not the amp. Right?

Jan 4, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #279 of 5,796
If you are living in Europe and want to make a good bargain: Amazon Germany is currently selling the ZH1 for €1698 instead of €1999. Speaking from experience, the price will bounce back to the original price soon. When I pre-ordered the ZX2 from amazon 2 years ago, the price also suddenly dropped by approx. 300 Euros and quickly "recovered". Apparently those price gyrations are normal on amazon.

They told me that units will be shipped between Feb.15 - March 11.

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01LHGLAQ8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jan 5, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #281 of 5,796
To TA owners, the TA does benefit a lot from a simple Powercord upgrade. Better dynamic, deeper soundstage and resolutions across the board. You do not have to pay thousands to buy an upgraded Powercord. What I did was following VH recipes and bought the wires, parts, and turned some screws.

Recipes as follows. You can click on the links provided from there to buy wires.

http://www.venhaus1.com/diymains.html

My cables is a larger size of the Summit from what I gathered from recipes and technical aspects of Powercord cables. I made it for 3 leads, and even though the Ta only uses 2 leads, it worked flawlessly. There is an immediate improvements from listening between Power cables, and the main improvements that is noticeable right away was the Bass dynamic and power delivery

For your interests, the stock cables is cheap 2 wires of 18 AWG unshieled, and general rules of thumbs is that Powercord gotta be the least 16AwG per wire.

Also, while you are at it, the stock USB cables is also of very bad quality. It is 2x24Awg for power lines and 2x 28AWG for data transmission lines. To be acceptable, the general rules of thumbs would to have the least of 24 AWG for all wires. It is not only technically speaking, but by using upgraded USB cables and power cord cables, you are doing your TA huge favors and bringing it sound performances into even higher standard. I can observe it, and I am sure you can as well

Jan 5, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #282 of 5,796
A combination of both, but no...the TA is the main improvements as I used it with SA5000 and 3000 as well

Great synergy with the HD800, R10, Qualia, and CD3000 too.

Jan 5, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #283 of 5,796
To TA owners, the TA does benefit a lot from a simple Powercord upgrade. Better dynamic, deeper soundstage and resolutions across the board. You do not have to pay thousands to buy an upgraded Powercord. What I did was following VH recipes and bought the wires, parts, and turned some screws.

Recipes as follows. You can click on the links provided from there to buy wires.

http://www.venhaus1.com/diymains.html

My cables is a larger size of the Summit from what I gathered from recipes and technical aspects of Powercord cables. I made it for 3 leads, and even though the Ta only uses 2 leads, it worked flawlessly. There is an immediate improvements from listening between Power cables, and the main improvements that is noticeable right away was the Bass dynamic and power delivery

For your interests, the stock cables is cheap 2 wires of 18 AWG unshieled, and general rules of thumbs is that Powercord gotta be the least 16AwG per wire.

Also, while you are at it, the stock USB cables is also of very bad quality. It is 2x24Awg for power lines and 2x 28AWG for data transmission lines. To be acceptable, the general rules of thumbs would to have the least of 24 AWG for all wires. It is not only technically speaking, but by using upgraded USB cables and power cord cables, you are doing your TA huge favors and bringing it sound performances into even higher standard. I can observe it, and I am sure you can as well

Do u recommend a power cable and USB that u tested by yourself?
I don't want to go through cutting and shielding cables by myself. 

Jan 5, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #284 of 5,796
Do u recommend a poor cable and USB that u tested by yourself?
I don't want to go through cutting and shielding cables by myself. 

Neither of my DIY cables is poor....it is only cheaper and I can cater it to what I need. The only thing poor that I would recommend is from audio quest or Pangea for Powercord and USB cables. I am not sure of how much that improvements would be, but it would show improvements as long as you purchase the minimal recommended sizes

This is a good starting out USB cable. It has solid core data lines and affordable with those minimal sizes of 25 AWG if I am not mistaken

https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Cinnamon-Digital-Audio-Cable/dp/B0041E3RLA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1483643282&sr=8-3&keywords=audioquest+usb+cable

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00725BVOK?psc=1&smid=A2XGE4CX5AV74X

Pangea silver

https://www.amazon.com/Pangea-Audio-cable-solid-silver/dp/B005AUH8SM/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1483643664&sr=1-3&keywords=pangea+audio+-+usb+cable

This one is also very budget friendly and should bring about noticeable improvements and will be good for a starting point as it use Long grain crystal, I believe it is another technology that is very similar to OCC, only because OCC is patented and only 1 company still producing it so far. Those connectors look to be Brass and gold plated which is better than steel in stock cable. It should be 14-16 AWG per wire if I am not mistaken

https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-NRG-2-AC-power-cord/dp/B0006VPP12/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1483643450&sr=1-1&keywords=Audio+quest+power+cord

Jan 5, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #285 of 5,796
Neither of my DIY cables is poor....it is only cheaper and I can cater it to what I need. The only thing poor that I would recommend is from audio quest or Pangea for Powercord and USB cables. I am not sure of how much that improvements would be, but it would show improvements as long as you purchase the minimal recommended sizes

This is a good starting out USB cable. It has solid core data lines and affordable with those minimal sizes of 25 AWG if I am not mistaken

https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Cinnamon-Digital-Audio-Cable/dp/B0041E3RLA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1483643282&sr=8-3&keywords=audioquest+usb+cable

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00725BVOK?psc=1&smid=A2XGE4CX5AV74X

Pangea silver

https://www.amazon.com/Pangea-Audio-cable-solid-silver/dp/B005AUH8SM/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1483643664&sr=1-3&keywords=pangea+audio+-+usb+cable

This one is also very budget friendly and should bring about noticeable improvements and will be good for a starting point as it use Long grain crystal, I believe it is another technology that is very similar to OCC, only because OCC is patented and only 1 company still producing it so far. Those connectors look to be Brass and gold plated which is better than steel in stock cable. It should be 14-16 AWG per wire if I am not mistaken

https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-NRG-2-AC-power-cord/dp/B0006VPP12/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1483643450&sr=1-1&keywords=Audio+quest+power+cord

SORRY!

I meant to say POWER not POOR! 
biggrin.gif

Sorry again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back