The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Jan 22, 2018 at 8:20 AM Post #1,246 of 5,761
I have a 1Z which I use in a portable scenario. I also have a Moon 430HA which is connected to my two channel system and allows me to use my Linn DS steamer as source.

For some reason I am intrigued by the TA as an additional amplifier - perhaps on a bedside table. In that case I would not use a 1Z connected to it but rather an iPhone running TIDAL so I could stream and check out new releases. There is also the obvious synergy with the Z1R I already own and I have heard it also pairs well with my Utopias

Is the TA wasted with an iPhone running TIDAL rather than a 1Z running ripped files?
It sort of illustrates the one feature lacking in the 1Z imho - the inability to access the streaming services.

And then once again - am I spinning my wheels with a TA as the 1Z on its own is close enough?

Jan 22, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #1,247 of 5,761
I have a 1Z which I use in a portable scenario. I also have a Moon 430HA which is connected to my two channel system and allows me to use my Linn DS steamer as source.

For some reason I am intrigued by the TA as an additional amplifier - perhaps on a bedside table. In that case I would not use a 1Z connected to it but rather an iPhone running TIDAL so I could stream and check out new releases. There is also the obvious synergy with the Z1R I already own and I have heard it also pairs well with my Utopias

Is the TA wasted with an iPhone running TIDAL rather than a 1Z running ripped files?
It sort of illustrates the one feature lacking in the 1Z imho - the inability to access the streaming services.

And then once again - am I spinning my wheels with a TA as the 1Z on its own is close enough?

You've touched on my dilemma here. I have a 1A and Z1R - which is a great value combo, relatively speaking - but keep hankering for the TA-ZH1ES...but also the 1Z! They are both such cool devices.

Selling the 1A would help fund the 1Z - which is a lustworthy piece - but the TA would be more useful as it allows other sources to connect for eg. watching movies or streaming audio from my laptop - or even vinyl playback.

I did actually borrow a TA briefly and connected my turntable and tube phono stage to it, running into the analogue input and upsampling to DSD256. It sounded superb via my Z1R and Harbeth speakers.

It would seem logical that the headphone output of the TA is better quality than the output of the 1Z, seeing as there are no compromises due to size and battery characteristics which MIGHT, in theory, subtly hamper the 1Z. Having said that, the output from the 1A is already superb with the Z1R, so maybe just go with your heart! :D

PS. on a side note, I find myself not using my main speaker system anymore (apart from movie sound use) since I got the Z1R to go with my 1A. I have a Leben CS300XS here which I used to use with LCD3 and my current Harbeth speakers, but I keep thinking of moving totally over to headphones. I don't use the Leben with my Z1R (although they match well), so the TA-ZH1ES might be a good all round choice as I can use it at my desk in the same way I currently do with my 1A/Z1R.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #1,248 of 5,761
I’m currently feeding my TA with a Roon endpoint. Playing well recorded (including DSD) classical music. In audio bliss. TA scales very well as you upgrade your source. I’m currently using Auralic Aries Mini (upgraded linear power supply) + UpTone Regen (to clean up USB signal).

Planning to upgrade further with HQplayer to upsample source and maybe upgrade Auralic to SOtM SMS200ultra + power supply. The upgrade never ends. But all these for a fraction of WM1Z......

Jan 22, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #1,250 of 5,761
I’m currently feeding my TA with a Roon endpoint. Playing well recorded (including DSD) classical music. In audio bliss. TA scales very well as you upgrade your source. I’m currently using Auralic Aries Mini (upgraded linear power supply) + UpTone Regen (to clean up USB signal).

Planning to upgrade further with HQplayer to upsample source and maybe upgrade Auralic to SOtM SMS200ultra + power supply. The upgrade never ends. But all these for a fraction of WM1Z......

X2 for the TA plus Auralic combo. Have the upgraded power supply but not the Regen.

Jan 22, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #1,251 of 5,761
A year ago I was shopping for the Focal Utopia. I first audition it with WM1Z feeding the TA and I found the sound heavenly. I bought the Utopia but always missed the way it sounded with the Sony TA and WM1Z. I've had the TA for two weeks now and I think I need the WM1Z.

One other note, the TA-ZH1ES does not come close to driving my HE1000 correctly.

I currently own TA, WM1Z and Z1R. But every now and then I have the urge to purchase Utopia but can not justify it :)
Another alternative is to buy an open back headphone (HD800S) rather than getting a 2nd closed.

Did you have chance to compare Z1R vs Utopia with TA+WM1Z set-up? I'd like to hear your impressions if you did.

Jan 22, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #1,252 of 5,761

Okay maybe you can save me some time researching this out. I also run a ROON server on a downstairs iMac. I'm looking to possibly put the TA on a bedside table upstairs. Is there a way to wirelessly stream from the iMac downstairs (running Roon) to the upstairs TA ? Is the Auralic unit Wifi capable in that it could receive a wireless Roon stream from the downstairs iMac?

Jan 22, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #1,254 of 5,761
Yes the Auralic Aries Mini is WIFI enabled. I did try it initially. It was good as I remember. I didn’t have any problems with it but I subsequently ran a long CAT 7 cable to Ensure max stability and sound quality. Roon recommends LAN connections where possible.

I’ve order my SOtM SMS200 ultra so I’m eagerly waiting to do some comparison.

Jan 22, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #1,255 of 5,761
Okay maybe you can save me some time researching this out. I also run a ROON server on a downstairs iMac. I'm looking to possibly put the TA on a bedside table upstairs. Is there a way to wirelessly stream from the iMac downstairs (running Roon) to the upstairs TA ? Is the Auralic unit Wifi capable in that it could receive a wireless Roon stream from the downstairs iMac?

Other than the Auralic Mini are there any other units I should be looking at, WiFi capable, which can connect to the TA and grab ROON from my downstairs iMAC

Jan 23, 2018 at 5:13 AM Post #1,256 of 5,761
Does anyone know if I can use the line out to pass a signal thru another device before sending it back into the TAZH1ES through the RCA In?

Jan 23, 2018 at 6:59 AM Post #1,257 of 5,761
Does anyone know if I can use the line out to pass a signal thru another device before sending it back into the TAZH1ES through the RCA In?

I dont think that will work. The amp can only have one active input at a time and this will be the signal that after processing by the amp will be send out from the line out. I assume you want to have the digital signal in then pass it on to somethinh like an equalizer and then send that signal back to the amp. To get that signal to the equalizer has to have digital in selected as input. If you the select RCA in that is the signal the amp receives and passes out and no longer the digital input signal

Jan 23, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #1,258 of 5,761
I have Focal Utopia and Clear going into my Sony TA-ZH1ES ... but wonder how good the Z1R would sound compared to what I have ... does anyone have the Focal's and a Z1R that can comment ?

Jan 23, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #1,259 of 5,761
I have Focal Utopia and Clear going into my Sony TA-ZH1ES ... but wonder how good the Z1R would sound compared to what I have ... does anyone have the Focal's and a Z1R that can comment ?

This is purely my opinion so please take it with a grain of salt. I extensively demo'ed both Utopia and Z1R with the TA, and found Utopia to be the best match. It was so good that I ended up selling my other gear to get the combo.

For the comparison, I thought Z1R sounded a little congested with less treble air compared to the Utopia. To my ears, there was almost a veil in the Z1R. Both were connected through balanced connectors.

Jan 23, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #1,260 of 5,761
This is purely my opinion so please take it with a grain of salt. I extensively demo'ed both Utopia and Z1R with the TA, and found Utopia to be the best match. It was so good that I ended up selling my other gear to get the combo.

For the comparison, I thought Z1R sounded a little congested with less treble air compared to the Utopia. To my ears, there was almost a veil in the Z1R. Both were connected through balanced connectors.

Have you had the chance to listen to the Z1R through the WM1Z? If so did the TA improve upon the 1Z?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back