The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Mar 6, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #827 of 5,766
  @HiFiGuy528 How is the DAC section of TA-ZH1ES compared to HAP-Z1ES?

The DAC section compare between TA-ZH1ES and HAP-Z1ES is TA-ZH1ES better than HAP-Z1ES. FYI, HAP-Z1ES doens't support USB audio output support last time but Sony launched new firmware to add this function after TA-ZH1ES launched. This means Sony very confident to their signature TA-ZH1ES.

Mar 6, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #829 of 5,766
Sometime ago, I was evaluating 2 products mainly Chord Hugo 2 or Sony TA-ZH1ES to purchase basing on SQ and value for money for their Pcba design and components. Since Hugo 2 is not available on the market, and Hugo is used in comparison . The prices on both Hugo 2 and Sony TA ZH1ES is almost close to each other. Guess which products is value for money?

Mar 6, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #830 of 5,766
Sometime ago, I was evaluating 2 products mainly Chord Hugo 2 or Sony TA-ZH1ES to purchase basing on SQ and value for money for their Pcba design and components. Since Hugo 2 is not available on the market, and Hugo is used in comparison . The prices on both Hugo 2 and Sony TA ZH1ES is almost close to each other. Guess which products is value for money?

Which?

Mar 6, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #832 of 5,766
I've realised that, when one only possesses mid-tier headphones such as the Sennheiser Momentum (2nd generation), buying the TA is not worth it. Why am I saying this? Because my Fostex TH900 are currently being repaired by Fostex themselves and I have only the Momentum at my disposal, which usually are my go-to cans when I need portability.
biggrin.gif

There really is no big difference between the ZX2 alone and the ZX2+TA. Yet, when using TOTL headphones, the difference is quite astonishing, especially when using the balanced out.

I need my headphones back....!
deadhorse.gif

Mar 6, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #833 of 5,766
Still waiting for original poster to reply

And- does the best value one also give the best performance???

Mar 6, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #834 of 5,766
The DAC section compare between TA-ZH1ES and HAP-Z1ES is TA-ZH1ES better than HAP-Z1ES. FYI, HAP-Z1ES doens't support USB audio output support last time but Sony launched new firmware to add this function after TA-ZH1ES launched. This means Sony very confident to their signature TA-ZH1ES.
You should check your software. There should be no problem playing through via USB now

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Mar 7, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #837 of 5,766
Ok - here is a question for TA owners
I think it is pretty much acknowledged that the SE output is not as powerful or as good as the Balanced output.

I have yet to purchase balanced cables for my Utopia however I do want to test out the TA. I will need to test using its SE output. The device I currently use is a Mojo - obviously also run SE.

I hope that I will be able to see the TA able to show its superiority over the Mojo - even in SE mode??? I am going to hope that it is easily BETTER than the Mojo??

One last question - I am going to assume the Balanced out on the TA is of the same quality level from both the XLR and Sony 4.4mm ports???

Mar 7, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #838 of 5,766
I've been using the Z1R with a single-ended Sony Kimber cable.  It's an excellent match.  I would buy the TA even if it were only SE and it probably would be less expensive.  I've been using my HD800S with a balanced cable.  Another excellent pairing.  I'm sure others here can speak to Utopia pairing and synergy.  I don't necessarily believe balanced is better for every amp and headphone, but that's a whole other debate in itself.  I think you'll be happy with the TA in either balanced or single-ended mode.  It's top-notch.  

I have not owned the Mojo in a while so I would be relying solely on memory and I don't necessarily want to do that.  All I can say is that I don't feel the TZ is relatively overpriced for what it does.  Many will argue it is underpriced in comparison to other products even within the Sony lineup.  I do currently have the iDSD BL which is in same price range as Mojo.  Though different in some sonic qualities, I do feel the Mojo and iDSD are equal competitors.  I can easily tell that the TA is a higher end DAC and amp for many qualities already discussed in this thread.  So, better?  Yes.  Worth the price of admission?  I think so, but only you can determine that and you never know, the Mojo + Utopia could have some special magic.  If you can hear the TA + Utopia first then that is of course the best option.    

Quote:
Ok - here is a question for TA owners
I think it is pretty much acknowledged that the SE output is not as powerful or as good as the Balanced output.

I have yet to purchase balanced cables for my Utopia however I do want to test out the TA. I will need to test using its SE output. The device I currently use is a Mojo - obviously also run SE.

I hope that I will be able to see the TA able to show its superiority over the Mojo - even in SE mode??? I am going to hope that it is easily BETTER than the Mojo??

One last question - I am going to assume the Balanced out on the TA is of the same quality level from both the XLR and Sony 4.4mm ports???

Mar 7, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #839 of 5,766
TA single-ended out is not bad, not as in a sense of their Walkman from SE to Balanced. As much as I observed, the balanced has more power while SE is not, in the mean while SE still offer pretty good quality and performances. I had yet to critically compare, but only doing it leisurely here and there.

So...in a senses....TA is ways better than Mojo...

Can we stop comparing a portable device that fit in your hand to a desktop device that can hardly fit in a big backpack ?....

Mar 7, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #840 of 5,766
The only reason for comparison is that the Mojo is acknowledged to be a giant killer - and it is the only device I currently have here at the moment!

It is understandable that whatever desktop source I choose I would want it to be better than what I currently have.

The reality is that I will ultimately have a desktop solution and a portable solution. The TA looks like that something to try for desktop. The Mojo will remain for portable duties - or will be replaced with a Hugo2.

What are people feeding the TA with - aside from a portable i.e. WM1A/Z? I am going to assume a computer - anyone using a Mac Mini? I have been away so long from these forums that I don't know how a MacMini rates these days. If I were to go that route the Mini would be a new purchase. Conversely I have a MacBook Air sitting around unused.

I assume USB out directly to the Mini or Air?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back