The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Mar 7, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #843 of 5,802
Milking SQ maximum potential from Sony TA-ZH1ES with :-
Transport Onkyo dpx1 connected into Walkman macro USB input.
Amp. McIntosh Mac 200 Bypass their DAC.
Speakers Dynaudio contour S 1.4
Cable furutech.

I really think that your power cables look super cool. If they weren't so bloody expensive, I'd have bought Audioquest's TOTL power cable.

Mar 7, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #845 of 5,802
If you are going into a Mac amp are you also bypassing the TA amp and just using it as a DAC?

Mar 7, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #846 of 5,802
If you are going into a Mac amp are you also bypassing the TA amp and just using it as a DAC?

Yeah. Except there is little point in doing that unless you have a really great amp. Since the TA's amp is quite good. 

But that's why people are bitching about not having a balanced pre out. Because those with super nice amps want to use this in a balanced stack. 

Mar 7, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #849 of 5,802

Your are much better off getting the Yggy as a dedicated DAC. Again, a DAC out is an after thought of any Digital amp module.

Mar 7, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #850 of 5,802
Yes, powercables brings improvements, and not only that but USB cables as well
biggrin.gif

Not sure if you're serious or taking the mick but it was noticeable to me 
beyersmile.png

Has anyone noticed how ancient the headphones in the emoticons are ? I think we need a new set with focal utopia, HD800, Z1R, et al 
jecklinsmile.gif

Mar 8, 2017 at 3:48 AM Post #851 of 5,802
Milking SQ maximum potential from Sony TA-ZH1ES with :-
Transport Onkyo dpx1 connected into Walkman macro USB input of Sony TA-ZH1ES and RCA out into
Amp. McIntosh MA 5200 Bypass their Mac DAC. ( Mac amp:- modifications with German capacitors and crystal quartz oscillator to improve the clock timings and replace some OEM parts)
Speakers Dynaudio contour S 1.4
Cable 1.5m ( sheilded) and connectors - furutech.
All cables and connectors are Diy.

Footnote :- Too simplify on earlier threads - hope it help now.

Mar 8, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #852 of 5,802
Cool, I have one of these that came with the LC2.0 (https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-67-036-02-Audioquest-NRG-X3-3FT/dp/B0055ON00I/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1488989068&sr=1-4&keywords=AudioQuest+NRG-).  I'll try it out, but its a 3 prong grounded cable.  Probably not good to use with the TA-ZH1ES which doesn't need a grounded cable.  Is this correct or would the X3 be ok?  Not sure.  

This one seems to be right way to go... https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-NRG-X2-2-Pole-Power-Cable/dp/B00VMR3UUC

Quote:

You can improve the TA-ZH1ES with audioquests' NRG-X2 cable and that's not even too expensive. I noticed immediately that it's better with it. 

Mar 8, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #853 of 5,802
Although I personally don't know whether I should laugh or cry when people insist on aftermarket cables, I do admit that they look damn good, and it's not my money so why should I care
biggrin.gif
. Using a grounded 3-conductor cable would be no problem at all. The third wire is just an extension of the many feet of ground wire already running inside your walls, which again are star-grounded near your circuit breakers and from there terminated at an earth rod somewhere near the building.

I'm not sure why Sony opted for floating ground, but I think it is in order to minimize the risk of ground loops. Since the only analog inputs/outputs are single ended, a ground loop can potentially be created if both the connected equipment and the ZH1 were chassis grounded. I probably wouldn't plug/unplug the RCAs when the ZH1 was on, though.

Mar 8, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #854 of 5,802

If you haven't ever used them. Try it out. You might be surprised. You can always return it. And yes, it does look awesome. 

To me it's part of the fun. Honestly the power cable made a difference to me. USB hasn't really done anything the past I don't think. But I upgrade them all. 

Mar 8, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #855 of 5,802

Yeah that is the one that I got. Not crazy priced and I think, a well made cable. This bad boy deserves it IMO. 

The 3 foot one is pretty damn short tho. It reaches my surge protector, but just barely. And it is right next to the damn thing on a table.

Might be better to go with 6 foot, it's not as long as you think. 

In fact, this is the only one AQ makes that has the C17 connector. Which is good as the other ones are more expensive.

I tend to buy the cheaper AQ stuff as I get the solid conductors, geometry and insulation in those and don't go for you know, DBS or silver stuff, although I probably would if I had the cash. I'd probably not go higher than Big Sur for analog, Evergreen for USB and for power and speaker cables whatever is cheapest. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back