The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Jun 18, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #5,566 of 5,762
After a bunch of back and forth in the forums, I finally purchased a second hand Taz for the IER-Z1R.
I think I probably can't go wrong with that decision reading exclusively positive feedback about this device.
The excitement is reaching critical levels and I should stop reading threads.

In any case, how do people connect the device to their systems?
Are there many people running a USB cable from PC into the TAZ?
Are there many people bypassing the DAC in the TAZ and just using it as an amp - I love my Yggy, so that may be a thing I do.
I saw you can also connect your walkman to it, that seems like a thing to shoot for in the future.

Anyway, I hope I can join the cult of Taz - one comment in particular got me extremely excited: someone said that it's like a tube amp without the tubes.
I'll believe it when I hear it, but that is definitely what I'm looking for.
Congratulations, at times there aren't many secondhand ones around.
They've been around a while now, about a year ago Whitigir put some posts up with some positive in-depth under-the-hood tech details that refreshed our appreciation for it. At the time I think he was even using it just as a dac feeding another amp, but see what works for you. I like the all-in-one package but have experimented using my iFi Gryphon as a source.
On this thread there'll be a history of owners that own/owned a Sony Walkman, so you might find that as a common source. The recommended input is the rear USB vs the side connection. For convenience I mostly use PC with the Audioquest Carbon cable that is frequently recommended, but when using my WM1Z with either the dock or adapter (with AQ cable) it proves to be a better source with a blacker background, but any dap should do the same over a PC.
I hope it meets or exceeds your expectations.

Jun 20, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #5,567 of 5,762
I just got the Taz today.

So TLDR: This will blow your socks off if using it with a IER-Z1R.
I wasn't quite ready for this amount of improvement.
A serious amount of bass in these, holy moly.

If you're looking for a DAC/Amp combo to use with the Sony IEM, just get this and be done with it really.
I've not even tried running my Lynx AES16 into Schiit Yggdrasil setup into this - that's how satisfied I am with everything straight out of the box.
Just USB cable into Taz and go (with Intona Isolator, because I had it lying around).
I actually don't think I will hook it up to my other DAC for the forseeable future.

I started using it in High Gain and really enjoyed it, but I simply didn't check what mode I was in before just diving into it.
So now I'm in Low Gain mode, which I think is probably more appropriate - unless people think otherwise?

In any case: yes, grab this if you see it floating around on eBay for a good deal and you have equipment that synergizes with it.
I actually think I got extremely lucky with both IER and TAZ, now that I think about it.

EDIT: I actually forgot to add that the way it reproduces sound is very magical (to use the most overused term in the hobby) and makes shivers run down my spine.
Maybe it's because I'm not that used to IEMs or I have some unknown neurological problem, but I feel like a visceral reaction like that is very rare and should definitely be the goal of the hobby.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #5,568 of 5,762

If you're looking for a DAC/Amp combo to use with the Sony IEM, just get this and be done with it really.
I've not even tried running my Lynx AES16 into Schiit Yggdrasil setup into this - that's how satisfied I am with everything straight out of the box.
Just USB cable into Taz and go (with Intona Isolator, because I had it lying around).
I actually don't think I will hook it up to my other DAC for the forseeable future.

I started using it in High Gain and really enjoyed it, but I simply didn't check what mode I was in before just diving into it.
So now I'm in Low Gain mode, which I think is probably more appropriate - unless people think otherwise?

In any case: yes, grab this if you see it floating around on eBay for a good deal and you have equipment that synergizes with it.
I actually think I got extremely lucky with both IER and TAZ, now that I think about it.

EDIT: I actually forgot to add that the way it reproduces sound is very magical (to use the most overused term in the hobby) and makes shivers run down my spine.
Maybe it's because I'm not that used to IEMs or I have some unknown neurological problem, but I feel like a visceral reaction like that is very rare and should definitely be the goal of the hobby.
I have now packed my MDR-Z1R down as I’m simply not using it. I’m giving all my time to the IER-Z1R fed from the TA and it is great. I’m not getting rid of the MDR as I also love that and want to keep a full size as there are times when the ears don’t like iems.

Jun 20, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #5,569 of 5,762
For sure, low gain.

Jun 20, 2023 at 3:40 PM Post #5,570 of 5,762

Congrats! Taz does have a magical sound. It gives you a wonderful combo of musicality, details, fullness and soundstage competence, particularly re depth as an all in one. It sounds absolutely spectacular w my iems. I think it's okay to say as a rule, if you want to know the potential of what your iems can sound like listen to them on the Taz. You will never hear noise and they will be driven perfectly.

Every so often i listen to HD600 on Taz from the XLR and I'm just blown away at what it can do w the the soundstage on those HPs. Headroom for a HP like the 600 is the only concern but at decent volume fullness and musicality is just great. With NDH30 the headroom piece isn't an issue and the combo is just perfection. I will likely never part w Taz. Only way I could see selling it is if Sony does a Mk2, which I don't see that as likely.

Re gain, use what sounds best. I find that high gain tends to give a fuller sound at lower volumes.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #5,571 of 5,762
Hi ,
sorry if I do not go through 400 thread pages,
a fast question :

I am a 1zm2 owner - very pleased , at the point I dismissed using my desktop setup .

Any users owning both the 1zm2 and the TA can comment on sound improvements /differences between the two ?

many thanks for giving advice
much appreciated

Jun 24, 2023 at 5:59 AM Post #5,572 of 5,762
After having spent a long time with this amp I can still confirm that it's absolutely mind-blowing with the Sony IEMs.

I have one issue though: I think I have ground loop problems.
There is a *very* slight hum that persists even if I remove every other cable apart from the power lead.
It's also doing it while the unit is off.
When I hold my finger to the amp the hum disappears completely.

I have used two different power leads and I tried using the iFi GND Defender already - to no avail.
Would someone happen to know how I can properly ground this, if that is in fact the issue?
There seemed to have been other instances or ground loop shenanigans in this thread.

Maybe I just have a magical hum eliminating finger.

Any help would be appreciated, as I've never had to deal with any sort of ground situation.

Jun 24, 2023 at 6:11 AM Post #5,573 of 5,762
After having spent a long time with this amp I can still confirm that it's absolutely mind-blowing with the Sony IEMs.

There is a *very* slight hum that persists even if I remove every other cable apart from the power lead.

I have used two different power leads and I tried using the iFi GND Defender already - to no avail.
Would someone happen to know how I can properly ground this, if that is in fact the issue?
There seemed to have been other instances or ground loop shenanigans in this thread.

Any help would be appreciated, as I've never had to deal with any sort of ground situation.
Try to turn your wall power plug 180 degrees to reverse the polarity, that has sometimes made a difference for me

Jun 24, 2023 at 6:34 AM Post #5,574 of 5,762
Try to turn your wall power plug 180 degrees to reverse the polarity, that has sometimes made a difference for me
Unfortunately that doesn't work for me, as UK plugs only have one way of plugging in.

I'm thinking of maybe grounding the amp to the chassis of my desktop PC potentially via some scuffed methods (I saw someone else do this here on headfi) or would going RCA from the Schiit Yggdrasil DAC maybe work?
That way I at least have the DAC hooked up as well for more options.

I have no spare cables to try anything at the moment.

It's obviously not dramatic, but I'd still like it to be perfect.

Jun 24, 2023 at 8:26 AM Post #5,575 of 5,762
Unfortunately that doesn't work for me, as UK plugs only have one way of plugging in.

I'm thinking of maybe grounding the amp to the chassis of my desktop PC potentially via some scuffed methods (I saw someone else do this here on headfi) or would going RCA from the Schiit Yggdrasil DAC maybe work?
That way I at least have the DAC hooked up as well for more options.

I have no spare cables to try anything at the moment.

It's obviously not dramatic, but I'd still like it to be perfect.
Ah yes, in UK there is only one way. Normally a grounding loop only happens when several pieces of equipment are wired together so it’s strange that you get it when the TA is not connected to anything else

Jun 24, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #5,576 of 5,762

I have solved this.

Using the Intona USB Isolator (which I just threw in there as I had it lying around unused for years now ever since switching away from USB in general) between my computer as source and the Taz actually INTRODUCED a ground issue.

So:

no cables (other than power plug) = hum
USB cable WITH Intona = hum
USB cable straight to PC WITHOUT Intona = no hum

As they say, don't fix what isn't broken.

Anyway, user error as per usual.
Nothing to see here.
Moving on.

EDIT: Highlighting this question again, as I interrupted it I feel like:

Hi ,
a fast question :

I am a 1zm2 owner - very pleased , at the point I dismissed using my desktop setup .

Any users owning both the 1zm2 and the TA can comment on sound improvements /differences between the two ?

much appreciated

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2023 at 6:20 PM Post #5,577 of 5,762
Deleted - wrong forum

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2023 at 2:23 AM Post #5,578 of 5,762
Hi ,
a fast question :

much appreciated
The differences are very marginal. Since i own the WM1ZM2, i rarely, if ever, use my TA-ZH1ES anymore.

I still think its very very slightly better... but not sure.

I have not made a blind test yet, but i doubt i would be able to pick them apart. Not sure though, maybe will do that soon.

But if i would have owned the WM1ZM2 first, i would have not bought the TA-ZH1ES

Jul 2, 2023 at 12:18 AM Post #5,580 of 5,762
Anyone else bypassing the internal Sony DAC entirely? As great as it was when I got it, I just got a Chord Qutest and tries running that as source to the analog in. It is audio nirvana with my totl Grados, maintaining the katana sharp details but yet manages to take all fatigue away at the same time with the Tazzy’s processing. This is a true end game combo right here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back