The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
May 31, 2023 at 4:04 AM Post #5,551 of 5,762
Last week ,I attempted to upgrade the software on one my TAs from 1.0 to 1.03. It wouldn't allow me to update ,and after various feedback from other forum members ,I decided to give up on the idea.
I tried to use the unit just now , and no sound at all! Everything lights up fine. We've swapped over this unit with the other. The other is fine ,so something to do with my attempt to update the software?
Any ideas?
Thanks!
Why didn't it let you update the software? Can you link the post with the error message? Maybe you're stuck with an half done upgrade or something like that

Jun 1, 2023 at 7:55 AM Post #5,552 of 5,762
Why didn't it let you update the software? Can you link the post with the error message? Maybe you're stuck with an half done upgrade or something like that
Thanks for your input.I've only just noticed your post. I'm pretty sure I didn't execute the procedure as I should have. Computers and me.....My son will take a look at it next week ,I imagine it will be something simple ,again!
Cheers!

Jun 1, 2023 at 9:17 AM Post #5,553 of 5,762
Thanks for your input.I've only just noticed your post. I'm pretty sure I didn't execute the procedure as I should have. Computers and me.....My son will take a look at it next week ,I imagine it will be something simple ,again!
Cheers!
ask him if he can get a windows laptop as a backup.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2023 at 9:22 AM Post #5,554 of 5,762
ask him if he can get a windows laptop as a buckup.
Yes, especially one that is made out of plastic.

Sounds stupid, but i had several issues with firmware updates of smartphones and amps and other stuff with devices whose cases where out of metal. Sometimes the upgrade processes are very senstivie and issues with grounding of an notebook can cause the upgrade to abort.

I remember trying to flash my Xperia XZ (quite some time ago^^) and i failed to do it several times and was unable to find the issue, until i borrowed the cheap plastic notebook of my father which worked flawless.

I later found out that a lot of notebooks that are made out of metals have grounding issues that can cause this. As the TA-ZH1ES itself is also sensitive to any sort of grounding issue, that might be an potential cause.

Jun 1, 2023 at 9:54 AM Post #5,555 of 5,762
i remember the days at university when friends could not "install" or "connect" almost anything with a macbook. So they used a windows pc for this kind of issues.

Jun 10, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #5,556 of 5,762
Well the firmware update isn't really that important. It just fixes a specific issue where the display shows the wrong sampling rate or bit depth at a particular high res frequency. There's no sound changes or new features introduced. so I wouldn't toss the machine for it if you can't get it to upgrade. Try a different cable, sometimes cables cause issues.

Also I upgraded mine fine from a mac. Don't blame the mac.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #5,557 of 5,762
After a bunch of back and forth in the forums, I finally purchased a second hand Taz for the IER-Z1R.
I think I probably can't go wrong with that decision reading exclusively positive feedback about this device.
The excitement is reaching critical levels and I should stop reading threads.

In any case, how do people connect the device to their systems?
Are there many people running a USB cable from PC into the TAZ?
Are there many people bypassing the DAC in the TAZ and just using it as an amp - I love my Yggy, so that may be a thing I do.
I saw you can also connect your walkman to it, that seems like a thing to shoot for in the future.

Anyway, I hope I can join the cult of Taz - one comment in particular got me extremely excited: someone said that it's like a tube amp without the tubes.
I'll believe it when I hear it, but that is definitely what I'm looking for.

Jun 18, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #5,558 of 5,762
you will find any kind of combination here. Most of the people connect it to the wm1z/a in the past - via the cable that is included.
Others preferred a better usb a to b cable - audioquest carbon is the one recommend most - to connect it with a streamer or tablet (using uapp app for bypassing the android standard mixer).

Jun 18, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #5,559 of 5,762
you will find any kind of combination here. Most of the people connect it to the wm1z/a in the past - via the cable that is included.
Others preferred a better usb a to b cable - audioquest carbon is the one recommend most - to connect it with a streamer or tablet (using uapp app for bypassing the android standard mixer).
Thank you! I actually have a couple of audioquest cables, so that'll be one to add potentially.
A question regarding the IsoTek EVO3 you have (according to your signature), is that the standard C13 version and does that fit without any issues?

Jun 18, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #5,560 of 5,762
A question regarding the IsoTek EVO3 you have (according to your signature), is that the standard C13 version and does that fit without any issues?
yes and it fits perfectly.

Jun 18, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #5,561 of 5,762
After a bunch of back and forth in the forums, I finally purchased a second hand Taz for the IER-Z1R.
I think I probably can't go wrong with that decision reading exclusively positive feedback about this device.

Are there many people bypassing the DAC in the TAZ and just using it as an amp - I love my Yggy, so that may be a thing I do.
I saw you can also connect your walkman to it, that seems like a thing to shoot for in the future.

Anyway, I hope I can join the cult of Taz - one comment in particular got me extremely excited: someone said that it's like a tube amp without the tubes.
I connect an Auralic Aries Mini streamer with a 4TB ssd with my library via the rear usb port and my bed room tv via optical. Use it only to drive the 2 Z1R’s via balanced

Jun 18, 2023 at 11:52 AM Post #5,562 of 5,762

Welcome to the cult.

The majority of my listening is done via USB from a PC. But I do make use of the Walkman port for my WM1AM2 (you may be able to too if you have a DAP that supports USB audio out)

Jun 18, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #5,563 of 5,762
Auralic Aries Mini streamer
is there a streamer like the auralic but where you can put a (micro) sd card into it directly?

Jun 18, 2023 at 1:01 PM Post #5,564 of 5,762
is there a streamer like the auralic but where you can put a (micro) sd card into it directly?
I don't know of any and for me that would be no good anyway as my library is close to 2 TB

Jun 18, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #5,565 of 5,762
Are there many people bypassing the DAC in the TAZ and just using it as an amp
Yeah I use the Hugo 2 as a DAC a lot. Because it's a better DAC than the DAC in the Tazzy. The Tazzy DAC is really good, but it's a more laidback, relaxed sony house sound, while the Hugo2 just has that Chord Magic that only they have.

It was hesitant to do it because it sounds like a nightmare - take an analog output, re-digitize it at the analog in and then run it through the s-master circuitry again? But it works really well. You cannot use any of the Tazzy's filtering options when doing this, there's no DSD remastering (as you are already re-digitizing) or DSEE HX. But that's okay. You can choose to digitize the Analog input in any format you want. Naturally I chose 11.2 Mhz DSD.

I don't notice a loss of quality and I get the best of both worlds of the Tazzy's deeper bass and nicer volume control knob and the Hugo's pace rhythm and timing clarity. Hugo does have a 3v line level output mode for this use case so that might help. I use an expensive cable with silver to connect them as well.

When I am using the Tazzy with it's dac I just use a USB-B connetion to connect it to my PC. I use audioquest jitterbugs in parallel as well on any usb inputs.

I get great results this way. It's a cool amp. It gets some flak for not having ridiculous power in single ended mode, but most people are going way overkill on power requirements for their headphones anyway. I would choose to run balanced whenever I could to get the 1.2 watt output per channel tho.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back