The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Jul 19, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #1,966 of 5,761
Is anyone using the TA as a preamp with USB to a computer? Added some powered speakers and now every time a track starts/stops/is changed, there's a mechanical click heard on the DAC. Pretty much the same sound as when you turn the DAC on and off. Anyone else experiences this? I checked every menu and couldn't find anything that might address this.

Jul 19, 2019 at 7:14 PM Post #1,967 of 5,761
Is anyone using the TA as a preamp with USB to a computer? Added some powered speakers and now every time a track starts/stops/is changed, there's a mechanical click heard on the DAC. Pretty much the same sound as when you turn the DAC on and off. Anyone else experiences this? I checked every menu and couldn't find anything that might address this.

Yeah. I don't have that behavior. But not using powered speakers, using it as a headamp.

Jul 19, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #1,968 of 5,761
:) i've just made this set-up today.. heard 1 click but didnt pay to much attention to it... but i remmeber that it was when the file on the PC switched from FLAC to DSD.
I will give it more look tomorrow evevning , now it is 02:00 here :)
WhatsApp Image 2019-07-20 at 01.41.16.jpeg

Dont judge the set-up.. it was a test to see how the speakers will perform in my balcony (30 meters).... and *** the neighbors :) . I'm going to build a nice cabinet for the set-up based on close range sound stage - around 1.5m distance, comfortable chair and legs up ...
Jacob.

Jul 19, 2019 at 7:21 PM Post #1,970 of 5,761
Yeah. I don't have that behavior. But not using powered speakers, using it as a headamp.
This isn't an issue using it as a headamp. But every time it changes bit rate, there's the click/switch when used as a preamp. Starting to annoy me hearing the constant click between tracks when shuffling with Roon.

Jul 19, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #1,971 of 5,761
I have heard some extremely tiny click sounds maybe when switching from PCM to DoP or something like that.

Sorry to hear that you have that, I guess what I do would be upsample from Roon, your computer's CPU likely is better at it anyway, and then just have a constant, upsampled bitrate to the Tazzy.

If it sounds good to you, then you maybe you won't switch and have the clicking ?

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #1,972 of 5,761
THanks "tradyblix" , you are right about the power cable , didnt pay attentin to it ... was more excited that the sound was excelent compared to my "in house" set-up (bad acoustics).
Using TA with headphones - i didnt hear any click .... but i had my HP on me all the time :):) . I will make a thorow check tomorrow.

Jul 19, 2019 at 7:28 PM Post #1,973 of 5,761
For pre-amp you need to change the output selector - so i think that it change the AMP section routing inside (vs headphone AMP) , so probably it is biuld to switch "off" when no sound.... try to setup your PC player to gaples playback . Maybe this will stop this.

Jul 19, 2019 at 7:40 PM Post #1,974 of 5,761
For pre-amp you need to change the output selector - so i think that it change the AMP section routing inside (vs headphone AMP) , so probably it is biuld to switch "off" when no sound.... try to setup your PC player to gaples playback . Maybe this will stop this.
I have Roon set up for exclusive mode. There's no gaps. It's when the bitrate changes that the switch and click occur. DSD Remastering is on, DC Phase linearizer off, auto volume down off, analog in format dsd11.2MHz, pre-out variable, auto standby off. It's just strange that it kills the connection every time audio stops being fed to the preamp section.

Jul 19, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #1,975 of 5,761
I’m pretty sure this is expected behavior when the unit switches clocks (when changing bitrates). This exact same behavior is seen in the portable Walkman (WM1A and 1Z). I only really notice it when I’m playing random songs and the bitrates are all over the place).

I don’t even really pay attention to it anymore, but a lot of new Walkman owners ask the same thing. (I also have a TA-ZH1ES, and sometimes notice this)

Jul 22, 2019 at 4:49 AM Post #1,976 of 5,761
9BD2F688-588C-43F3-A5C9-6E43AC9C0F9C.jpeg

Using my Focal Clear I find the audio experience better with 6.35mm output compared to XLR output of my TA.

I am using the stock Focal Clear cables which are not bad.

I only listen to TV Movies connected to digital optical input of the TA.

Q1. Excuse my lack of knowledge, but I thought XLR output is supposed to be better and more powerful than 6.35mm?
Q2. Can anyone then explain the above in simple terms if possible?
Q3. Perhaps the audio source is supposed to be balanced - whatever that means, to take advantage of XLR?
Q4. OR have others found the XLR not as sweet sounding as the TA’s 6.35mm?

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2019 at 6:24 AM Post #1,977 of 5,761

Using my Focal Clear I find the audio experience better with 6.35mm output compared to XLR output of my TA.

I am using the stock Focal Clear cables which are not bad.

I only listen to TV Movies connected to digital optical input of the TA.

Q1. Excuse my lack of knowledge, but I thought XLR output is supposed to be better and more powerful than 6.35mm?
Q2. Can anyone then explain the above in simple terms if possible?
Q3. Perhaps the audio source is supposed to be balanced - whatever that means, to take advantage of XLR?
Q4. OR have others found the XLR not as sweet sounding as the TA’s 6.35mm?

It does not matter if the source is single ended or balanced as everything gets converted to digital when entering the TA. I have not used the xlr out but to me the 4.4 out is better than 1/4” out but not night and day, just subtle. Some headphones respond more to balanced than others

Jul 22, 2019 at 6:29 AM Post #1,978 of 5,761
It does not matter if the source is single ended or balanced as everything gets converted to digital when entering the TA. I have not used the xlr out but to me the 4.4 out is better than 1/4” out but not night and day, just subtle. Some headphones respond more to balanced than others
Thank you.

4.4? This is the Pentagon right - unfortunately I don’t have such a cable for it.

Ideally the Z1R Sony Headphones have it, but too expensive in uk.

Jul 22, 2019 at 6:33 AM Post #1,979 of 5,761
Thank you.

4.4? This is the Pentagon right - unfortunately I don’t have such a cable for it.

Ideally the Z1R Sony Headphones have it, but too expensive in uk.

Yes that is the Pentacon. However I would have expected the 4.4 and xlr to sound identical

Users who are viewing this thread

Back