The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Jul 6, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #1,952 of 5,761
The Soundstage is narrower on the ADI-2?
In comparison to the TA definitely in every direction (more focused to the width). But that does not mean the ADI has a small Soundstage. It is more like my Hugo 2 in that regard.

Jul 7, 2019 at 3:19 AM Post #1,953 of 5,761
In comparison to the TA definitely in every direction (more focused to the width). But that does not mean the ADI has a small Soundstage. It is more like my Hugo 2 in that regard.
Would I be able to use the WM1A as a USB source for the ADI-2? Or is that just a Sony TA-ZH1ES feature?

Jul 7, 2019 at 3:29 AM Post #1,954 of 5,761
Would I be able to use the WM1A as a USB source for the ADI-2? Or is that just a Sony TA-ZH1ES feature?

It should work as a usb source for any usb dac

Jul 7, 2019 at 3:55 AM Post #1,955 of 5,761
It should work as a usb source for any usb dac
Sweet. Thanks
I need 2 dacs for my speaker setups, getting a Buchardt S400 Bookshelf speaker with my Magnepan 1.7i.
I can get 2 ADI-2s for the price of 1 Benchmark Dac3.
Gotta save money wherever I can :)

The Bookshelf speakers will only have the WM1A as a source.
The Magnepans are going to connected to my computer.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #1,956 of 5,761
Considering the TA-ZH1ES but mainly as a DAC using the PRE OUT to an Integrated Amp. Does the TA-ZH1ES perform well as a DAC in that scenario? I'm interested in its ability to upsample to DSD, but not if it's either compromised as a DAC or in the PRE OUT section.

I connected TA-ZH1ES to the integrated amp (which has by pass pre-amp input). For the source, I have AK240 (via USB) and CD player (optical) connected to TA-ZH1ES.

I am quite satisfied with the sound quality, better than the DAC of the CD player.

Jul 8, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #1,958 of 5,761
I think you are a good person to ask since you have both.

If you had to keep only one which would it be - TA or AFI?
That is a tough one :) because I use the ADI just for mastering work and the TA is for my fun listening. To come to a conclusion, if both were for my music listening system I would stick with the TA (I do not need eq or all the extras) just for sound. It depends though which headphones you are using. For example I have got the Sony MDR-Z1R and they sound brilliant with the TA but do loose some fun with the ADI. But this is completely different with my Audeze LCD-X (my mastering headphones) which do sound a bit muddy with the it. But to be fair the most of my headphones sound awesome with the TA (just some of them with the ADI).

Jul 8, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #1,959 of 5,761
I've noticed a couple of interesting things about this unit along the way. It looks like Sony has cooked up their own USB receiver setup using a TI chip. I gather they have done it to be able to receive DSD512 in the manner they want to without conversion. Their setup does use the +5V from the USB and it is by far the device most susceptible to presenting USB issues that I have ever listened to. Cleaning up the USB connection made a big difference in imaging and detail for me and has made a good unit into a great one. I now have it connected to a motherboard that allows me to disable the +5V on the USB connection, and then I have it going through an old iUSB 2.0 that provides an isolated +5. A split cable and a battery works well too so not an expensive tweak.

The sound is just fabulous like this, liquid silky and detailed. I've compared the Sony to a lot of other units over the past year and while there have been some setups that I have thought sounded fun it's the Sony that has remained on my desk.
Is this on the Walkman micro USB or the PC USB-B?

Jul 9, 2019 at 6:11 AM Post #1,960 of 5,761
That is a tough one :) because I use the ADI just for mastering work and the TA is for my fun listening. To come to a conclusion, if both were for my music listening system I would stick with the TA (I do not need eq or all the extras) just for sound. It depends though which headphones you are using. For example I have got the Sony MDR-Z1R and they sound brilliant with the TA but do loose some fun with the ADI. But this is completely different with my Audeze LCD-X (my mastering headphones) which do sound a bit muddy with the it. But to be fair the most of my headphones sound awesome with the TA (just some of them with the ADI).

Thank you for the Clear explanation which makes me think I should get another TA. just need to save up a bit for it.

Does the TA have enough power to drive the Z1R via the quarter inch input/6.35mm?

Jul 9, 2019 at 6:42 AM Post #1,961 of 5,761
Thank you for the Clear explanation which makes me think I should get another TA. just need to save up a bit for it.

Does the TA have enough power to drive the Z1R via the quarter inch input/6.35mm?
Headphones like the Z1R, LCD-X, Sennheiser 660S or Utopias are no problem at all. Even the unballanced connection has more than enough power. You ll probably never reach more than 70% with it (for example I can not listen above 50%)

Jul 12, 2019 at 7:21 PM Post #1,962 of 5,761
I am looking to get some active speakers and connect to the TA.

I know this is a headphone DAC, but will it do well to connect to active speakers?
I am not very technical so don’t know what type of speakers are compatible.

My budget is £750.

Jul 12, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #1,963 of 5,761
I have the Audioengine A5+ powered and S8 Subwoofer connected to the TA in my office, works great.

Jul 13, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #1,965 of 5,761
The S8 subwoofer is also from Audioengine and connects directly to the A5+.

The A5+ is their best wired powered speaker and has had great reviews. So that's why I went with it and the price was right. I didn't look at the KEF LSX since it's wireless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back