The Official Sony NW-WM1Z/ NW-WM1A Flagship DAP (Live From IFA 2016)
Nov 28, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #650 of 1,101
i have done the comparo and the Questyle is more on the accuracy side whereas the Sony is more musical. Just updated the NW-WM1Z to the new firmware 1.02 released today, so we'll see what's going on once things settle. My full review link from RMAF was posted here earlier, though Google also tags it.

BTW: Did a direct comparo to my ZX2 within the review. Want to get more hours on the WM1Z before doing a final full review versus the hands-on one from RMAF.

Nov 28, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #651 of 1,101
i have done the comparo and the Questyle is more on the accuracy side whereas the Sony is more musical. Just updated the NW-WM1Z to the new firmware 1.02 released today, so we'll see what's going on once things settle. My full review link from RMAF was posted here earlier, though Google also tags it.

BTW: Did a direct comparo to my ZX2 within the review. Want to get more hours on the WM1Z before doing a final full review versus the hands-on one from RMAF.

Well, I don't know about other people, but to me, being accurate is easy in music and audio. For example, a singer can practice to be precise and accurate....but could he/she express the soul of the lyrics and the track itself ? These are two very different scenarios where as being "soulful and expressive" is considered better and unique in this instance

Nov 28, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #653 of 1,101
Well, I don't know about other people, but to me, being accurate is easy in music and audio. For example, a singer can practice to be precise and accurate....but could he/she express the soul of the lyrics and the track itself ? These are two very different scenarios where as being "soulful and expressive" is considered better and unique in this instance

Very true. Within the recording studio you can easily add effects, yet it is hard to add 'emotion' (or talent, though even that's up for debate).

Now comes the uploading of ~60GB of music files to the internal memory (for starters). Tom Petty is right, the waiting is the hardest part :frowning2:

Nov 28, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #654 of 1,101

I do agree i was nauseated with a mozart recital last year... the pianist played wa too robotic and unexpressive

Nov 29, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #657 of 1,101
lets see with which FW my A comes with, it is recommended that I instal FW 1.01 and then 1.02 or go straight to 1.02 and skip 1.01

Nov 30, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #658 of 1,101

Well everyone will have different goals and preferences, but it's definitely what I am looking for and I don't regret jumping on the WM1A. I don't know what the consensus is as I haven't read as much on the A as the Z and not all the 44 pages of the thread but it does strike me as pretty engaging & soulful and it's right out of the box day fresh first impression, apparently the Z is even more euphonic (but way out of my price range). 

Nov 30, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #659 of 1,101
...apparently the Z is even more euphonic (but way out of my price range). 

Yes, Sony likes a bit of "euphoric" sound. This may be why many love 'pure DSD' as it seems to add in the type of sound signature. FYI i compared my master 24/192 of a live concert to the same master in DSD and the DSD has that sound signature whereas my master does not. Both signals were fed off the same mix board output and the sound engineer was one of Sony's finest guys. So we're talking top-level stuff :)

PS: Have been a bit skeptical of MQA, as they repeatedly refuse to give us guys the encoder to do an indy comparo. That's why i've held off saying much about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back