The Official Sony NW-WM1Z/ NW-WM1A Flagship DAP (Live From IFA 2016)
Nov 5, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #601 of 1,101
Thanks, do you know if there is any difference in sound between 1a and 1z if we only do digital out to an external DAC/amp? I am just curious if the sound difference describes here only applies to the dap as the differences between the two models seem to be in the DAC (S Master chip) and the subsequent amp components.

If you connect to an external DAC/Amp module then there's no difference, because the external DAC/amp will be doing the conversion

Nov 5, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #602 of 1,101
1/ Correct, you only need this special cables if you want better quality
2/ correct, and AK380 only do up to 1/2 of that
3/ correct, but it is not pseudo balanced. It is Separate ground. This is different than Pseudo balanced. Pseudo balanced is different routing of signals but without inverter, and inner circuitry could be joined ground. Separated ground is totally different. It has nothing joined on the inner circuitry, is totally separated, and provide cleaner signals while keeping the integrity. Sony doesn't release too much info on this technology, they do disclose that it is superior to Single Ended. In my case, Zx2 with this TRRS connection is clearly superior.

My understanding on balance is that each of the left and right channel has its own signal (+) and return (-) and do not share a common ground and hence avoid the possibility of contamination between channels regardless of formats whether it be 2.5, 3.5 or 4.4 mm. So if the 1z's 4.4 and 3.5 out can both do balance, are they the same in terms of sound? But then only the 4.4 can do native DSD? So I assume the the 3.5 can do hires also and in that case will it sounds the same as the 4.4?

Nov 5, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #603 of 1,101
My understanding on balance is that each of the left and right channel has its own signal (+) and return (-) and do not share a common ground and hence avoid the possibility of contamination between channels regardless of formats whether it be 2.5, 3.5 or 4.4 mm. So if the 1z's 4.4 and 3.5 out can both do balance, are they the same in terms of sound? But then only the 4.4 can do native DSD? So I assume the the 3.5 can do hires also and in that case will it sounds the same as the 4.4?

The difference betwenn 3.5 and the 4.4 is that the 4.4 is TRRRS the sleeve (S) is grounded to the chassis ah and both are separate cirduits

Nov 5, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #604 of 1,101

No because the 3.5mm goes to ground (GND), not return.  Only 4.4mm circuit is hot (+) and cold (-).  
Again 3.5mm is separate ground, not balance. 

Nov 5, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #605 of 1,101
No because the 3.5mm goes to ground (GND), not return.  Only 4.4mm circuit is hot (+) and cold (-).  

Got it, thanks.

Nov 5, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #606 of 1,101

Exactly, and not only this, but there are also different quality from separate grounds VS True balanced out quality, beside the Power delivery.

From my own experiences, both equally deserve very high credits. I also believe by using TRRS separate grounds on the 1Z must yield a much better finesses over the 1A. Due to the 1Z having Copper chassis and better FT Caps.

I think Sony WM is a great buy, we have 2 technologies in 1 device, except the power delivery and DSD native capability...assuming FLAC files, having both technologies to enjoy different sound quality is just a dream :D and we thanks Sony for that

Nov 5, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #607 of 1,101

The 4.4mm balanced input on the 1Z and 1A has Native DSD playback up to DSD 256 while the standard input does a DSD to PCM conversion in the DAP.
http://blog.nativedsd.com/brians-corner-trip-denver/

Nov 6, 2016 at 1:05 AM Post #608 of 1,101

Quick Q: does it mean I would be able to use the 3.5 trrs adapter I have for hifiman with a 2.5mm trrs plug that I use for AK DAPs? Thanks!

Nov 6, 2016 at 1:13 AM Post #609 of 1,101

Quick Q: does it mean I would be able to use the 3.5 trrs adapter I have for hifiman with a 2.5mm trrs plug that I use for AK DAPs? Thanks!

yeah and i think sony's Pin wiring is different tan A&K

Nov 6, 2016 at 2:18 AM Post #610 of 1,101

I don't know the pin layout for hifiman, but Sony's 3.5mm TRRS pin assignment is L+/R+/L GND/R GND

http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/img/avw/docs/736/104/html/sony03.jpg.html

Nov 9, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #611 of 1,101
Recently learned about this. Is there any word on a release date for USA/Canada? I have only found references to 2017, but nothing more. Also, I see mentions of capped and uncapped. Is this some sort of volume cap? I was hoping this would be a good device choice for the Sennheiser HD650.

Nov 10, 2016 at 4:33 AM Post #612 of 1,101
Recently learned about this. Is there any word on a release date for USA/Canada? I have only found references to 2017, but nothing more. Also, I see mentions of capped and uncapped. Is this some sort of volume cap? I was hoping this would be a good device choice for the Sennheiser HD650.

Only Europe version has volume cap

Nov 14, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #613 of 1,101
Would like to see someone compare the Sony NW-WM1Z with the FiiO X7
popcorn.gif

And no bias, only an accurate in-depth comprehensive answer would be useful.

Nov 14, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #614 of 1,101
  Would like to see someone compare the Sony NW-WM1Z with the FiiO X7
popcorn.gif

And no bias, only an accurate in-depth comprehensive answer would be useful.

I don't think the FiiO X7 will stand up well to the 1Z.  The stock amp by itself is not even as good that of the ZX1 let alone the 1Z.  I can't say about other amp modules however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back