The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 27, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #11,087 of 11,341
Never mind, i just realized that one of the joy of being in the forum itself is the ability to read and see people reactions on different point of views.
Yeah, it is pretty funny though. It's just headphones guys.....I need to continually remind myself.

Jun 28, 2017 at 1:34 AM Post #11,090 of 11,341
Do these reviewers do measurement before listening impression being written?
My question is, if they do measurement first then listen to the headphone base on it,
how can they be neutral on the impression.
If one believe in measurement tells it all, one might be led to same conclusion per measurement.
I have said it before, measurement is just a "data" for the headphone, it doesn't necessarily represent
its performance.
See there are many headphone measured the same but perform and impress people differently.
So, I think it is just that Z1R doesn't meet Tyll's style, that is all.

Jun 28, 2017 at 2:55 AM Post #11,091 of 11,341
My question is, if they do measurement first then listen to the headphone base on it,
If one believe in measurement tells it all, one might be led to same conclusion per measurement.
I have said it before, measurement is just a "data" for the headphone, it doesn't necessarily represent
its performance.
See there are many headphone measured the same but perform and impress people differently.

It really depends on your definition of "neutral", or one can make similar arguments about how can the reviewer be "neutral" after watching reviews on Internet/hearing others' opinions/ knowing the price tag/ opened the box and check the headphone/likes the brand a lot, etc. The whole impression/ review is meant to be biased because we want to know other's opinion.

And the measurement is just a data (accurate or not), that literally presents some specific performance of a headphone in an understandable way according to an objective standard. What it cannot shows, is that if it meets your preference. And how to interpret the data is entirely up to you.

For example, you can have a better driving experience on one car over another, that is your preference. At that same time if both cars has the same fuel consumption, they have the same performance in terms of energy economy.

Jun 28, 2017 at 3:02 AM Post #11,092 of 11,341
its performance.

i understand that tyll hertsen listens first and then measures

Jun 28, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #11,093 of 11,341
its performance.
neutral impression? sorry we're all out of Spock. you will have to settle for human reviewers for a little longer. ^_^

Jun 28, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #11,094 of 11,341

Please name two headphones that measure the same and perform differently. I'm highly skeptical, but trying to keep an open mind. If there are indeed many of them, as you say, it shouldn't be hard for you to name just two. Thanks in advance.

Jun 28, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #11,096 of 11,341
Please name two headphones that measure the same and perform differently. I'm highly skeptical, but trying to keep an open mind. If there are indeed many of them, as you say, it shouldn't be hard for you to name just two. Thanks in advance.
What I meant the same was there are headphone out there with 10k peak, which is emphasized here.
I read some where, the 10k peak is deliberately designed to compensate for headphone listening on
The music which are mostly recorded for speaker environment.
If you check most headphone measurement they all have 10k peak, that is what I meant.

Jun 28, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #11,097 of 11,341
Jun 28, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #11,098 of 11,341
re:

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/h...different-results.751100/page-2#post-13569173

This aligns with what Bob-P has said elsewhere. Aha. So measurements are not helpful in reviews and can only provide the vaguest of brushstrokes. And yet we've been subjected to no end of lectures from measurement supporters where the Z1R is concerned.
I agree, but you're not going to the end of your own reasoning: people will have different opinions about a headphone, and they can also change opinion over time, so I guess people aren't helpful in reviews. ^_^

there is a huge difference between staying aware of measurement limitations, and just deciding that full on subjectivity is less flawed. or even that there was ever a need to reject one of several sources of information to make our mind about a device. it's not like getting less information has ever been a way to know more.

Jun 28, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #11,099 of 11,341
So, I hear that people is having pretty hard time on finding replacement parts for Z1R. I made a couple inquiries and this comes from Sony authorized place, pads, and frontplates with drivers. Enjoy guys :) I hope none of the Z1R owner is having any issues with it just yet as I am hoping Sony and made in Japan is to be more reliable than this.

https://www.encompassparts.com/item/11013838/Sony/A-2166-863-A/Ear_Pad_(r)_Assembly
Part #A-2166-863-A Sony Ear Pad (R) Assembly
A Sony Ear Pad (R) Assembly
Part #A-2166-710-A Sony PLATE, FRONT (R) ASSY (Including Driver)

Part #A-2166-862-A Sony Ear Pad (L) Assembly
Part #A-2166-709-A Sony PLATE, FRONT (L) ASSY (Including Driver)

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 7:37 PM Post #11,100 of 11,341
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back