The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 18, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #7,052 of 11,341
That's disappointing to say the least. I don't care how much higher quality Hicon is than Switchcraft is when they have the same mechanism. Damn why can't sony sell that connector separately...

I really don't get why everyone seems so hung up on this... They won't come out, won't rotate unless you really try to and the contact is just as good as the Sony plugs so what the hell is the problem?!?!

Feb 18, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #7,053 of 11,341
That was one of the main reason why I traded it away for Utopia. I don't know about others, but for me, and to be able to lay in the bed with my headphones is very important. The Z7 was awesome in this regard, but not Z1R. It is too big to do this comfortably

I lie in bed with mine multiple times a week (that sounds weird lol). In fact, it's where I do the predominant amount of listening. Just put your pillow upright a bit (hospital or hotel bed style) and it should be fine. At worst they sit a tiny bit more forward on your head than they usually do, but they essentially sound the same. 

Feb 18, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #7,055 of 11,341

I'd strongly suggest the Cayin i5...just brilliant!

cayin i5
wow, one of the nicest layouts on a product i've seen...good pics, explanations, illustrations, etc
kudos to cayin.
http://en.cayin.cn/products_info?itemid=87#nv
but does it support tidal streaming?

my dap is currently an ipod touch 6 with either a dragonfly red or chord mojo.

Feb 18, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #7,056 of 11,341
If the mechanism is the same as Switchcraft ones, then yeah they won't come out, and those Hicon connectors might be even better than stock Sony-Kimber kable, but if they roll of when inserted, its useless

I can easily roll the cable with two fingers on my fully connected stock cable. Between thump and index finger. But why would I do that?

Feb 18, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #7,057 of 11,341
Yep I'd be curious too about the Toxic SW cable. I have one for my HD650 and it is truly excellent, a transformative cable. 
(I was thinking about asking Frank to redo it for the Sony, but I'm kind of settled and happy with the Sony/Kimber. I'll probably sell the 650+Toxic as a package deal.)
By the way, I see no physical problems with the design of the Z1R at all, IMHO.

Feb 18, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #7,058 of 11,341
  ... I'll probably sell the 650+Toxic as a package deal.)

I notice that when it comes to selling custom cables it is really hard to get close to the price you paid for them, or so it seems. I hope that isn't the case for you as I know those Toxic cost an arm and a leg to buy.

Feb 18, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #7,060 of 11,341
After a lot of A/B testing I have concluded that:
1. The Sony/Kimber cable suits the z1r much better than the Silver Dragon
2. Any doubts I has regarding how much a cable can affect a sound signature are gone: quite a bit

Feb 18, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #7,061 of 11,341
  I notice that when it comes to selling custom cables it is really hard to get close to the price you paid for them, or so it seems. I hope that isn't the case for you as I know those Toxic cost an arm and a leg to buy.

It depends on the cable. For instance, I can't seem to find a Norne cable for my HEKv2 at any price. When I first got my pair of Toxics and mentioned them in the 650 threads, I got unsolicited offers for them from people who did not want to wait out the long delivery time.

Feb 18, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #7,062 of 11,341
such an enticing pair of cans to perhaps replace or compliment my senn 650s.
.....ugh...but i just shelled out 1k for a microrendu and uptone lps power supply.
then trying to upgrade my TT DAC (am considering a benchmark or new hugo 2 or sim 280d to replace my
''tt'' ifi micro idsd or dragonfly red or chord mojo.)

you know how it is in this gig: once you upgrade one part of your chain, then launches upgrades on the other parts
to avoid the FUD factor (fear uncertainty and doubt) 'from kicking in:
you're only as strong as your weakest link' 

Feb 18, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #7,063 of 11,341
If the mechanism is the same as Switchcraft ones, then yeah they won't come out, and those Hicon connectors might be even better than stock Sony-Kimber kable, but if they roll of when inserted, its useless

Like I said before this whole "rolling" thing is completely ridiculous. Once the screws are tightened the only way this is going to twist is if you really really force it... WHO THE HELL DOES THAT TO A $2000 HEADPHONE!!!

Feb 18, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #7,064 of 11,341
You don't understand what I am trying to say. I am not talking about whether it will loose or not, they are perfectly fine when tightened, but the cable will rolled and strained as well. I know because I ordered FAW Noir HPC for Z1r before with those same connectors, and quickly sold it off because of that problem

Feb 18, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #7,065 of 11,341
Yep I'd be curious too about the Toxic SW cable. I have one for my HD650 and it is truly excellent, a transformative cable. 
(I was thinking about asking Frank to redo it for the Sony, but I'm kind of settled and happy with the Sony/Kimber. I'll probably sell the 650+Toxic as a package deal.)
By the way, I see no physical problems with the design of the Z1R at all, IMHO.

The biggest difference I ever noticed between cables was with my HD650... But I think a big part of that is how poor the stock cable is for that headphone. So upgrading the overall build as well as a change-up with regards to the cable material definitely has the potential to be transformative. The stock Z1R cable is a pretty nice rope, however. So I feel the Sony Kimber option to not be nearly as dramatic as the HD650, since it isn't a real upgrade as far as the sort of build quality that actually affects sound... Just a materials change, which I always find to be pretty subtle.

I myself prefer the Sony Kimber to the stock, but I find it to be a much, much subtler change than when I upgraded cables with the HD650. Switching to balanced, I prefer the stock sony balanced cable to listening to the Sony Kimber via 3.5mm... I'm probably going to pick up the Sony Kimber 4.4mm now.

What was your takeaway with the Sony Kimber? Big change? Or little?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back