The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 17, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #7,021 of 11,341
The Poly/Mojo combination will cost aporoximately $1100 - more than double the new Sony.

As stated in my post above if the new Sony provides more synergy with the Z1R I have no problem keeping that and the Mojo at the same time. Obviously the new PHA-2A would be used exclusively with the Z1R.

As for the flexibility of the Poly I really don't find the PHA-2A to be lacking in functionality. . It still has an iPhone connected to it so it can stream from Tidal and stream from an in house NAS/Hard Drive using UpnP etc. Yes no SD card (not an issue for me) so I still have yet to see the advantage of the Poly in this situation. From what I have read (and understand) the only advantage I see is being able to have a tether free connection between the Mojo and iPhone.

Are you sure the Poly is that expensive? When Chord e-mailed me the info there was no pricing with it. It is a HUGE advantage to not be tethered by a cable in my opinion. WiFi right on the device, MicroSd is also nice. That said, if the Poly is indeed almost $600 as you seem to be suggesting it will be then no, not worth it for me anyway. If it is around $300 that is affordable for many people (not for me at this point anyway regardless). I would also point out that finding used Mojo's is not much of a problem so there is far less need to pay full retail for the Mojo at this point also bringing the price down. Cheers.

Feb 17, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #7,022 of 11,341
  Are you sure the Poly is that expensive? When Chord e-mailed me the info there was no pricing with it. It is a HUGE advantage to not be tethered by a cable in my opinion. WiFi right on the device, MicroSd is also nice. That said, if the Poly is indeed almost $600 as you seem to be suggesting it will be then no, not worth it for me anyway. If it is around $300 that is affordable for many people (not for me at this point anyway regardless). I would also point out that finding used Mojo's is not much of a problem so there is far less need to pay full retail for the Mojo at this point also bringing the price down. Cheers.

it is already pre-order in uk ,, price is correct :frowning2:
https://www.audiosanctuary.co.uk/chord-poly-bluetooth-wifi-sd-card-adapter.html

Feb 17, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #7,024 of 11,341
Originally Posted by @227qed 
Congrats on the new Sonys friend!  Care to give an estimate % wise of how much bass impact/quantity there is with the Z1R vs SZ2000 when eqing a lot of subbass in and feeding it a lot of power?  Thanks in advance!

I listened to the SZ2000 and the Z1R with a Micro iCan Special Edition, an iPhone 6+ and using an app called Equalizer and after elevating the sub-bass region, I would say with confidence that the Z1R has at least 90% of the bass that the SZ-2000 have. I hope I don't insult anybody by comparing these two headphones but I'm just talking here about pushing the sub-bass and bass. I'm still working on my audiophile vocabulary but even though the SZ2000 has more impact, the Z1R bass and sub-bass just sounded more engaging to me, and I just enjoyed more listening to the Z1R. When you go to the headphone thread for bassheads, the top 3 are the SZ2000, TH900 and the XB-1000. Well, in my opinion when you push the bass on the Z1Rs I would probably squeeze them between the SZ2000 and the TH900. Yes, I've heard the TH900 too and also used the same EQ app and the same AMP and to me, because they are semiclose, I feel that they didn't rumble as much as the Z1R, but that's just my opinion. Also the TH900 when I cranked up the volume, they got too hot on the treble and didn't like it. On the other hand the Z1R scales very very nicely with an amp and EQ, just like the Sony Z5 which is my favorite IEM right now. I also forgot to mention that I had the iCan Micro XBASS switch at the highest level and the gain switches also at max which is I think +24db. I hope this helps.

Feb 17, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #7,025 of 11,341

As others have posted that is indeed the price.  If you check the Poly thread you will see the overwhelming number of posts complaining about the price - it is more expensive than the Mojo.

As for your statement - "wifi right on the device" - I have yet to understand the implications of this.  These is no operating system on the Poly.  One still needs an iPhone (or Android) to control pass music files to the Mojo.  It is the iPhone which does the pulling of the Tidal streams, streams from NAS etc.  I believe the Wifi is used for the iPhone to communicate with the Poly wirelessly (instead of Bluetooth which will not be able to pass hi res files along due to bandwidth (I speculate)).  So it is not as if the Poly is able to pull music files from Tidal, a NAS, etc.

The Poly thread is interesting.  I stopped reading it the past few weeks however the overwhelming initial consensus was $600 for something whose entire functionality can be boiled down to losing the hard wire connection between the MoJo and iPhone.  That is the general consensus - not mine as I will wait until there is more clarification and usage videos from Chord before passing judgement.

Feb 17, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #7,027 of 11,341
Also battery life seems to be an issue with this new Sony Amp. It is only around 4-5 hours in balanced mode at certain power output and with Apple product it may reduce further as per their manual.

You're not the guinea pig, don't worry. That would be me. I've been listening to the PHA-2A and the Z1R for several days now... Fantastic little DAC/amp.

Construction is excellent, it's very cleanly designed, and very solid. It looks and feels more expensive than the $1000 PHA-3.

Sound sig is a lot like the ZX2 (which is a sig I love) but there's obviously more juice on tap. A very rich, textured sound, with a good amount of space and openness. Balanced mode adds seperation and detail to the bass, and brings the vocals slightly more forward. The highs remain liquid and resolving. The Z1R is surprisingly slightly more detailed than an HD800 balanced, but it never becomes rude or harsh. (Although I haven't heard the 800 balanced). Long story short, the PHA-2A is a fantastic pairing with the Z1R... In balanced mode, the two are made for each other. Perhaps literally... I wouldn't be surprised if the PHA-2A played a prominent role in the tuning of this can. I'm loving this combination. I think you'll be very happy.

Using it with an iPad Pro, and I have yet to drain the battery, but then again I rarely listen for 5 hours straight.

Feb 17, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #7,028 of 11,341

As others have posted that is indeed the price.  If you check the Poly thread you will see the overwhelming number of posts complaining about the price - it is more expensive than the Mojo.

As for your statement - "wifi right on the device" - I have yet to understand the implications of this.  These is no operating system on the Poly.  One still needs an iPhone (or Android) to control pass music files to the Mojo.  It is the iPhone which does the pulling of the Tidal streams, streams from NAS etc.  I believe the Wifi is used for the iPhone to communicate with the Poly wirelessly (instead of Bluetooth which will not be able to pass hi res files along due to bandwidth (I speculate)).  So it is not as if the Poly is able to pull music files from Tidal, a NAS, etc.

The Poly thread is interesting.  I stopped reading it the past few weeks however the overwhelming initial consensus was $600 for something whose entire functionality can be boiled down to losing the hard wire connection between the MoJo and iPhone.  That is the general consensus - not mine as I will wait until there is more clarification and usage videos from Chord before passing judgement.

I'm changing my position, when I look at what the Poly brings to the table, while it is too expensive for me, I actually feel for those who are going to use the full functionality will get full value. For somebody like myself primarily interested in Bluetooth connectivity, I would be paying for quite a bit of un-utilized capability. Anyway, back OT, sorry for the diversion folks.

Feb 17, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #7,029 of 11,341
  Yes, at that price there isn't a chance I would buy it either. Bluetooth and WiFi adapters are inexpensive to put into devices. Something like the Poly in terms of functionality should be no more than $300US. I agree with those complaining that it costs more than the Mojo itself seems really poorly conceived. As you said, maybe there is something else about it that can help warrant that price? Bummer, and thanks for letting me know about the pricing, although I'm disappointed now as I was looking forward to wireless. Cheers.

I'd rather buy a separate DAP for that price, there are many in that price range that sound excellent and IMO gets close to the mojo.

Feb 17, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #7,030 of 11,341
I'd rather buy a separate DAP for that price, there are many in that price range that sound excellent and IMO gets close to the mojo.
Huh? A good DAP at or under $300? Am I understanding this correctly?

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Feb 17, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #7,031 of 11,341
You're not the guinea pig, don't worry. That would be me. I've been listening to the PHA-2A and the Z1R for several days now... Fantastic little DAC/amp.

Construction is excellent, it's very cleanly designed, and very solid. It looks and feels more expensive than the $1000 PHA-3.

Sound sig is a lot like the ZX2 (which is a sig I love) but there's obviously more juice on tap. A very rich, textured sound, with a good amount of space and openness. Balanced mode adds seperation and detail to the bass, and brings the vocals slightly more forward. The highs remain liquid and resolving. The Z1R is surprisingly slightly more detailed than an HD800 balanced, but it never becomes rude or harsh. (Although I haven't heard the 800 balanced). Long story short, the PHA-2A is a fantastic pairing with the Z1R... In balanced mode, the two are made for each other. Perhaps literally... I wouldn't be surprised if the PHA-2A played a prominent role in the tuning of this can. I'm loving this combination. I think you'll be very happy.

Using it with an iPad Pro, and I have yet to drain the battery, but then again I rarely listen for 5 hours straight.

Thanks a lot. I think I will take a plunge and try it out.

Feb 17, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #7,032 of 11,341

Best DAP under $500 is likely the FiiO X5 Gen3.  This recently released X5 is quite a performer but still quite lacking next to the Mojo.  The best test to any DAP is a hard to drive headphones such as the HD800.  The MOJO was able to handle the HD800 reasonably well while most DAPs have tough time to drive the HD800 properly.

Feb 17, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #7,035 of 11,341
  Best DAP under $500 is likely the FiiO X5 Gen3.  This recently released X5 is quite a performer but still quite lacking next to the Mojo.  The rest test to any DAP is a hard to drive headphones such as the HD800.  The MOJO was able to handle the HD800 reasonably well while most DAPs have tough time to drive the HD800 properly.

You are right in this regard, I guess my statement only applies if you don't have hard to drive headphone.

there is also Cayin I5, which sounds quite nice.

It is definitely not as good as the mojo (especially in detail retrieval), but good enough for me for portable duties rather than 1100 for mojopoly combo if you don't have mojo already.

back on topic, have anyone tried the Z1R from DAPS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back