The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 18, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #7,066 of 11,341
Well, people will not willingly roll the cables and the wires when it is plugged in. However, considering yourself moving, turning your head and all kind of motions with it. It depends on the cables built and ...etc...the cables may try to rotate on it own. Anyways, if it is not a problem for you, then it is ok, no need to stretch it.

The way I see it is that, if it is still rolling easily...why use the screw on connectors ? There are plenty of many more options for connectors. Believe it or not, any good connectors will also affect your end result of sound performances as well. IMO, it makes no senses to use such expensive wires, then settle for screw in connectors that don't even work right.

Feb 18, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #7,067 of 11,341
Well here's my take on the Z1r's-I don't like them on afraid. Not at all.

I really wanted to as well as I listen a lot in bed whilst my wife is trying to get to sleep and I thought these may be the answer. And particularly from the description of the signature that others have given I thought I'd really like them but I just don't.

First problem is not to do with the headphone per se-i really struggle with fully over the ear closed cans. I noticed it with the Bose QC35'S first but thought it more a function of the noise canceling but having tried the Z1r's it's clearly an issue with closed cans-the pressure gives me earache and it's very uncomfortable.

Interestingly I can manage on ear closed but over the ear-no.

Now to the sound. For me they're just not right. I didn't feel involved in the music, didn't feel any emotion. I feel they force the performance on me too much-a bit like an overbearing puppy. Play with me play with me play with me...

They are also very very dark to my ear. Deathly silent when nothing is playing but too dark with it. I thought the AMOLED analogy silly when I first read it but I can sort of understand it now (and I'm not saying one is better than the other!).

They're clearly hugely capable phones and I can see why some people like them and I really wanted to but they're not a keeper for me I'm afraid.

For the money I needed to fall in love with them and it's just not there. That said I guess we're lucky to have such choice avaliable and to be able to afford such luxuries. Something for every ear and all that :) .

Feb 18, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #7,068 of 11,341
Okay I give up lets just agree to disagree about this completely nonsensical pointless issue... I was going to make a video showing just how much force you have to put into them to make them move at all but I really can't be bothered. You believe whatever you want. 

Feb 18, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #7,071 of 11,341
@dannybgoode Personally I prefer open back to closed. Spent a couple of hours on Utopia last week. Wish it's 1K cheaper. But I think I will buy it sooner or later.

Not what I wanted to hear-I'm trying to resist listening to the Utopia in case I like it too much! Currently on the Elear's which I like very much but wanted to see if I liked the Z1r's better but alas not.

Feb 18, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #7,075 of 11,341
biggrin.gif
I wished I could answer them for you LOL...with my limited incomes....I can barely have Utopia and Sony signatures
biggrin.gif

"Limited income" and Utopia in the same sentence hehe 
tongue.gif

Feb 18, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #7,076 of 11,341
The Sony/Kimber cable adds an organic/liquid element to vocals and mids in general that is very welcome. It's hard to quantify, but I wouldn't be without it. At least it stopped me searching for orher aftermarket cables which is something I always do.
I highly recommend this cable for Z1R owners. I don't think you will regret the purchase at all or go back to the stock cable.

Feb 18, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #7,077 of 11,341
I listened to the SZ2000 and the Z1R with a Micro iCan Special Edition, an iPhone 6+ and using an app called Equalizer and after elevating the sub-bass region, I would say with confidence that the Z1R has at least 90% of the bass that the SZ-2000 have. I hope I don't insult anybody by comparing these two headphones but I'm just talking here about pushing the sub-bass and bass. I'm still working on my audiophile vocabulary but even though the SZ2000 has more impact, the Z1R bass and sub-bass just sounded more engaging to me, and I just enjoyed more listening to the Z1R. When you go to the headphone thread for bassheads, the top 3 are the SZ2000, TH900 and the XB-1000. Well, in my opinion when you push the bass on the Z1Rs I would probably squeeze them between the SZ2000 and the TH900. Yes, I've heard the TH900 too and also used the same EQ app and the same AMP and to me, because they are semiclose, I feel that they didn't rumble as much as the Z1R, but that's just my opinion. Also the TH900 when I cranked up the volume, they got too hot on the treble and didn't like it. On the other hand the Z1R scales very very nicely with an amp and EQ, just like the Sony Z5 which is my favorite IEM right now. I also forgot to mention that I had the iCan Micro XBASS switch at the highest level and the gain switches also at max which is I think +24db. I hope this helps.

Wow. Thats incredible, thank you so much for taking the time to post that. I've been after this information for a long time now. I have the standard Ican and run about the same amount of eq and xbass with my sz2k, so I have a pretty good idea where the z1r should be at. I will absolutely have to get these now. Thank you!!!

Feb 18, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #7,078 of 11,341
Wow. Thats incredible, thank you so much for taking the time to post that. I've been after this information for a long time now. I have the standard Ican and run about the same amount of eq and xbass with my sz2k, so I have a pretty good idea where the z1r should be at. I will absolutely have to get these now. Thank you!!!
When you get the Z1R, please also let me know your opinion about these two. Also, I recommend that you get more opinions comparing the bass, that way I won't be the only one carrying the burden of you spending a lot of money on the Z1R :)

Feb 18, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #7,079 of 11,341
When you get the Z1R, please also let me know your opinion about these two. Also, I recommend that you get more opinions comparing the bass, that way I won't be the only one carrying the burden of you spending a lot of money on the Z1R :)

He's not the only one doing this test. I'll be getting my z1r today I hope and testing these two. Findings will probably be posted on Wednesday.

Feb 18, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #7,080 of 11,341
He's not the only one doing this test. I'll be getting my z1r today I hope and testing these two. Findings will probably be posted on Wednesday.

Awesome, another set in Ottawa, now mine have company. Looking forward to your impressions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back