The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 18, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #7,082 of 11,341
When you get the Z1R, please also let me know your opinion about these two. Also, I recommend that you get more opinions comparing the bass, that way I won't be the only one carrying the burden of you spending a lot of money on the Z1R :)

Haha for sure. It wouldn't be just your opinion, but if it's even close to the SZ then it'll be just fine for me. I'm not extreme extreme basshead since I want my hearing to last haha. And all the talk here about the nice midrange is also very persuasive.

Feb 18, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #7,083 of 11,341
Haha for sure. It wouldn't be just your opinion, but if it's even close to the SZ than it'll be just fine for me. I'm not extreme extreme basshead since I want my hearing to last haha. And all the talk here about the nice midrange is also very persuasive.

Yes, and it is also I'm sure worth having less bass, but better quality bass so the Z1R should really nail it for you.

Feb 18, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #7,084 of 11,341
First problem is not to do with the headphone per se-i really struggle with fully over the ear closed cans. I noticed it with the Bose QC35'S first but thought it more a function of the noise canceling but having tried the Z1r's it's clearly an issue with closed cans-the pressure gives me earache and it's very uncomfortable.

Interestingly I can manage on ear closed but over the ear-no.

Interesting that they give you earache. They do exactly the same with me. My left ear feels blocked and I've had tinnitus in both ears for a few weeks. I thought it was an ear infection, even went on antibiotics for it.

I bought a SPL meter to check i'm not playing too loud, and don't even reach 70 peak db usually, so it's not that. It got to the stage that I couldn't listen to music much for the last week. Last night I tried using my IEMs, Sony MDR-EX1000s. After a couple of hours listening my left ear felt less blocked and the tinnitus had almost gone. Tonight I used the Z1Rs again and after 20 minutes or so my left ear started hurting. EX100s back in and fine.

Any body else come across this?

Also just a head-up that Amazon UK are selling the Z1Rs for £1,433.22 at the moment.

Feb 18, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #7,086 of 11,341
The Sony/Kimber cable add an organic/liquids element to vocals and mids in general that is very welcome. It's hard to quantify, but I wouldn't be without it. At least it stopped me searching for orher aftermarket cables which is something I always do.
I highly recommend this cable for Z1R owners. I don't think you will regret the purchase at all or go back to the stock cable.

I agree 100%.
Vocals is where I noticed the biggest difference.

Feb 18, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #7,087 of 11,341
Yes, and it is also I'm sure worth having less bass, but better quality bass so the Z1R should really nail it for you.

Yeah I'm closer than ever to going for it. I've been waiting for the green light from my girlfriend and more concrete info regarding the z1r bass quantity.

I greased my girlfriend up by buying her a gopro today though, and now I have real bass evidence from a system nearly identical to mine.

It's been a long wait, but today really could be the day! Fingers crossed she'll give me the okay. I don't want to seem like such a weakling here haha, but that woman is the real breadwinner and thus has more say in financial matters . I just can't trade her in for a z1r so I'm being good and patient. :p

Feb 18, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #7,088 of 11,341
Yeah I'm closer than ever to going for it. I've been waiting for the green light from my girlfriend and more concrete info regarding the z1r bass quantity.

I greased my girlfriend up by buying her a gopro today though, and now I have real bass evidence from a system nearly identical to mine.

It's been a long wait, but today really could be the day! Fingers crossed she'll give me the okay. I don't want to seem like such a weakling here haha, but that woman is the real breadwinner and thus has more say in financial matters . I just can't trade her in for a z1r so I'm being good and patient. :p

Whose women doesn't have more say in "financial matters ?" LOL...my wife has no clue what my system cost...she doesn't even bother googling it. She saw my whole TA-ZH1ES, WM1Z, Utopia today....and no care ROFLMAO....I don't even want to imagine

Feb 18, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #7,089 of 11,341

It's been a long wait, but today really could be the day! Fingers crossed she'll give me the okay. I don't want to seem like such a weakling here haha, but that woman is the real breadwinner and thus has more say in financial matters . I just can't trade her in for a z1r so I'm being good and patient.
tongue.gif

Yes, as much as it sometimes sucks, even I have come to realize a good woman and relationship is worth more than audio bliss (but sometimes it is close!). Hopefully she will say go for it.

Feb 18, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #7,090 of 11,341
Yes, as much as it sometimes sucks, even I have come to realize a good woman and relationship is worth more than audio bliss (but sometimes it is close!). Hopefully she will say go for it.

My women never said "go for it"...I just snook out my money :wink: and keeping it away from her attentions.

Feb 18, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #7,091 of 11,341
My women never said "go for it"...I just snook out my money
wink.gif
and keeping it away from her attentions.

That is always my preferred option as well.

Feb 18, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #7,092 of 11,341
Just received my Kimber Kable (MUL-B30UM1) used with Z1R. Haven't done extensive testing but first impression comparing to the original cable is that high-end seems a bit less "extended" and low-end are more controlled but less "boomy". The soundstage seems to improved a bit, overall, it seems to give a more "live" feeling. (I do like how original cable sounds a lot).

I am curious on how others feel about Kimber sound.

Feb 18, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #7,093 of 11,341
  I listened to the SZ2000 and the Z1R with a Micro iCan Special Edition, an iPhone 6+ and using an app called Equalizer and after elevating the sub-bass region, I would say with confidence that the Z1R has at least 90% of the bass that the SZ-2000 have. I hope I don't insult anybody by comparing these two headphones but I'm just talking here about pushing the sub-bass and bass. I'm still working on my audiophile vocabulary but even though the SZ2000 has more impact, the Z1R bass and sub-bass just sounded more engaging to me, and I just enjoyed more listening to the Z1R. When you go to the headphone thread for bassheads, the top 3 are the SZ2000, TH900 and the XB-1000. Well, in my opinion when you push the bass on the Z1Rs I would probably squeeze them between the SZ2000 and the TH900. Yes, I've heard the TH900 too and also used the same EQ app and the same AMP and to me, because they are semiclose, I feel that they didn't rumble as much as the Z1R, but that's just my opinion. Also the TH900 when I cranked up the volume, they got too hot on the treble and didn't like it. On the other hand the Z1R scales very very nicely with an amp and EQ, just like the Sony Z5 which is my favorite IEM right now. I also forgot to mention that I had the iCan Micro XBASS switch at the highest level and the gain switches also at max which is I think +24db. I hope this helps.

THANK YOU SIR!!!

Feb 18, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #7,094 of 11,341

Interesting that they give you earache. They do exactly the same with me. My left ear feels blocked and I've had tinnitus in both ears for a few weeks. I thought it was an ear infection, even went on antibiotics for it.

I bought a SPL meter to check i'm not playing too loud, and don't even reach 70 peak db usually, so it's not that. It got to the stage that I couldn't listen to music much for the last week. Last night I tried using my IEMs, Sony MDR-EX1000s. After a couple of hours listening my left ear felt less blocked and the tinnitus had almost gone. Tonight I used the Z1Rs again and after 20 minutes or so my left ear started hurting. EX100s back in and fine.

Yes, I have the same problem with my left ear.  IEMs are fine, but any type of closed headphone causes problems, some worse than others. 

Some suggestions I have are to try to get as much pressure off the surrounding area of your ear (loosening the headband helps).  At least try to make the clamp pressure as equalized as possible around your entire ear so it's not focused in one spot.  

And make sure you don't have any impacted wax or something like that.  I have allergies and have been trying some decongestants like Zyrtec-D which seems to help sometimes.  It might just be the winter that's worse for it too, now that the weather is warming up and there's more humidity in the air, it's not quite as bad for me lately.  

Feb 18, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #7,095 of 11,341

Yes, I have the same problem with my left ear.  IEMs are fine, but any type of closed headphone causes problems, some worse than others. 

Some suggestions I have are to try to get as much pressure off the surrounding area of your ear (loosening the headband helps).  At least try to make the clamp pressure as equalized as possible around your entire ear so it's not focused in one spot.  

And make sure you don't have any impacted wax or something like that.  I have allergies and have been trying some decongestants like Zyrtec-D which seems to help sometimes.  It might just be the winter that's worse for it too, now that the weather is warming up and there's more humidity in the air, it's not quite as bad for me lately.  

That is really interesting as I am moving away from your earphones/iems and more into headphones precisely because I've been reading about Adel technology and how earphones can place a lot of pressure on the eardrums by blocking the passageway...Didn't think you'd get ear pressure issues with cans , esp if played at moderate levels...Or is it also due to closed vs open cans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back