The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 24, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #1,036 of 11,341
  I've read reviews that were impressed in every way, but one point more than one was that they can be a little bright and strident at times. What's your view on that?

Really depend on the tube.  The HEV90 reacts well to tube rolling so a vast variety of 12AX7 tubes can sound varies.  Still it is euphoric, lush, sooth, and supremely relaxed.  Headphone wise, the HE90 is warmer than the SR009.

Sep 25, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #1,038 of 11,341
My guess is it will be along the lines of "love it or leave it" at its price point. The Z7 took care of the of the rest of us.
p.s. I LOVE my Z7's! Serial# 18729.
You'll see them if I send them for your mod, bro!

You should really send it over!

Sep 25, 2016 at 5:25 AM Post #1,043 of 11,341
Sep 25, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #1,048 of 11,341
  Please ask them if we can get an improved version of the R10 & Qualia.  If so, when.  Many thanks!

I've been asking since 2011. I'm pretty sure this is it. 

I hope somebody who listen to other genres besides classical or jazz gives these a good listen. While I can in small doses enjoy classical, and jazz more easily, frankly I want to know how these handle EDM, nu-Jazz, rock, pop and electronica in general. I try to enjoy classical, but it will never really penetrate into my listening rotation worth mentioning. Live performances are much more engaging, but for headphone listening, well, it makes me sleepy. Plus so many of those pieces just go on and on. I guess as I'm getting older I'm getting less musically complex. At this pace in a few years I'll be back listening to Ravi.

I'm scratching my head what I might listen to next time I'm in the city, but being on the warm side of things, modern brighter-mastered music is going to be a better match with them IMO.  I guess Shpongle is up next! 
biggrin.gif

Sep 25, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #1,049 of 11,341

I'm scratching my head what I might listen to next time I'm in the city, but being on the warm side of things, modern brighter-mastered music is going to be a better match with them IMO.  I guess Shpongle is up next! :D

Try - How the Jellyfish Jumped Up the Mountain plenty going on in that track!

Sep 25, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #1,050 of 11,341

I hope to hear it one day and decide for myself.  The Qualia can sound vastly better with a simple cable upgrade.  Same can be said with the R10, but one can simply reterminate the existing cable for a balanced drive amplification.  When the Z1R will be available for purchase from Japan?  Do you know someone with a Qualia or R10 in Japan that would allow you to do a proper shoot out with the Z1R?  I hope you do given that an auditory memory is rather shot and not that accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back