The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 24, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #1,021 of 11,341
Sorry for raving about the cans. It could be I'm overly emotional. But definitely pack your own MicroSD if you have the chance.

The Z1R sound harsh on the WM1A. Treble has some sibilance. The 1Z just ran out of battery so I'm now on 1A with Pharrel Williams' Happy.

I have confirmations that 1A Walkman perhaps has more trebles edges "harsh" VS 1Z "sweet and fluid" like you said. Thank you for this impression. I really believe the A is more neutral and Z is more musical kind of impressions from the sources that I gathered. I love Zx2 for it musicality and warmth, I don't see how 1Z is not a worthy successor :D....pricing aside

Sep 24, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #1,022 of 11,341
I have confirmations that 1A Walkman perhaps has more trebles edges "harsh" VS 1Z "sweet and fluid" like you said. Thank you for this impression. I really believe the A is more neutral and Z is more musical kind of impressions from the sources that I gathered. I love Zx2 for it musicality and warmth, I don't see how 1Z is not a worthy successor :D....pricing aside

The 1A and 1Z is noticeably slower than the ZX2 in terms of touch operation... It's appalling, I've recorded some footage and will post it later when I get home. I'm used to the snappy monochromatic PCM-D100 controls. Why can't they just do that? Maybe bring back the insanely beautiful PCM-D1 illuminated shoji screen? Kinda fits the Shoji used in the cans, no? Sadly Sony has a habit of "improving" their products with lesser design...

There's some interesting DSPs on the Walkmans like simulating tube amp response curve and whatnot... They packed a lot of EQ functionality into it, and the DSEE HX can have modes like "strings" or "percussive"... So if you'd like maybe you can EQ the hell out of those.

I'll be sticking with my plan to buy the ZH1ES, which is nowhere to be found and will ship later than the Z1R... Perhaps I can drive them with my iPhone until then ;p

Sep 24, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #1,024 of 11,341
Yes the Sony non Android UI is very fast and responsive.

Sep 24, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #1,025 of 11,341
So, I'm back home with my Z1000 & UDA-1 PC setup (DSEE HX is amazing on Youtube videos), and I grabbed the same track and listened to it. Z1R has more "resonance" in the sound and gives you distance between the melodies. Of course this comparison is a bit extreme because Z1000 has narrow soundstage (albeit very precise) and is tuned as a monitor.

Whether people like the "Air" quality of the Z1R is up to debate. I suppose this concludes my comparison today.

The soundtrack that amazed me with the Z1R is in this album, the third track:  Saint-Saens Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso Op. 28
An amazing d​uet between piano and violin arranged by Bizet, not the original orchestral version.

don't get scared off by the anime cover art, this is a seriously good classical music album with GREAT MIXING AND RECORDING QUALITY. Sometimes I listen to my Badura-Skoda collection and the left and right channels are not even balanaced...

https://www.amazon.com/Girl-Under-Full-Bloomed-Cherry-Blossoms/dp/B00N23RGU4/ref=pd_sim_15_1?ie=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00N23RGU4&pd_rd_r=9EPYFN43RV1QR6EMWSXW&pd_rd_w=Kxtiw&pd_rd_wg=iZHls&psc=1&refRID=9EPYFN43RV1QR6EMWSXW

Sep 24, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #1,026 of 11,341
So, I'm back home with my Z1000 & UDA-1 PC setup (DSEE HX is amazing on Youtube videos), and I grabbed the same track and listened to it. Z1R has more "resonance" in the sound and gives you distance between the melodies. Of course this comparison is a bit extreme because Z1000 has narrow soundstage (albeit very precise) and is tuned as a monitor.

Whether people like the "Air" quality of the Z1R is up to debate.

really appreciated your extended report, that you were upfront with your own preferences that you went back and had a second listen.

Sep 24, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #1,027 of 11,341
really appreciated your extended report, that you were upfront with your own preferences that you went back and had a second listen.

I gave some raving reviews but I don't want to misguide people ;p  If people actually bought a 2000$ headphone because I was too excited, they might get upset.

Me right now:

Sep 24, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #1,028 of 11,341

The soundtrack that amazed me with the Z1R is in this album, the third track:  Saint-Saens Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso Op. 28
An amazing d​uet between piano and violin arranged by Bizet, not the original orchestral version.

Just listened to this on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8QFHrPSYTA

Surprisingly excellent performance and SQ 
smile.gif
, but borderline ruined by all the heavy breathing throughout the track.
mad.gif

The violinist seriously needs to work on his breath control.
redface.gif

Sep 24, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #1,030 of 11,341
  Yeah. Well Arrau had that problem too so maybe they didn't care that much. Also, Gould's humming.

Sadly, that's why I can't enjoy any of Gould's musically amazing performances (except for that 'reperformance' that Sony Classical did a while back).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah392lnFHxM

Obnoxious distractions during a musical performance is a pet peeve of mine (in case you couldn't tell
rolleyes.gif
 ).

Sep 24, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #1,031 of 11,341
I hope somebody who listen to other genres besides classical or jazz gives these a good listen. While I can in small doses enjoy classical, and jazz more easily, frankly I want to know how these handle EDM, nu-Jazz, rock, pop and electronica in general. I try to enjoy classical, but it will never really penetrate into my listening rotation worth mentioning. Live performances are much more engaging, but for headphone listening, well, it makes me sleepy. Plus so many of those pieces just go on and on. I guess as I'm getting older I'm getting less musically complex. At this pace in a few years I'll be back listening to Ravi.

Sep 24, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #1,032 of 11,341
I gave some raving reviews but I don't want to misguide people ;p  If people actually bought a 2000$ headphone because I was too excited, they might get upset.

Me right now:

Of course, you will cry if u get a chance to listen to the orpheus system.

Sep 24, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #1,033 of 11,341
Sadly, that's why I can't enjoy any of Gould's musically amazing performances (except for that 'reperformance' that Sony Classical did a while back).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah392lnFHxM

Obnoxious distractions during a musical performance is a pet peeve of mine (in case you couldn't tell :rolleyes:  ).

much easier to enjoy via loudspeakers :wink:

listening to Keith Jarrett solo performances over analytical headphones reminds me of the film Being John Malkovich :p

Sep 24, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #1,035 of 11,341
much easier to enjoy via loudspeakers :wink:

listening to Keith Jarrett solo performances over analytical headphones reminds me of the film Being John Malkovich :p

You should remember, the music was made by a human being, not by a robo. I enjoy every noise that was captured on the records like Köln Concert or Sun Bear Concerts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back