The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 27, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #9,751 of 11,341
How well can a WM1Z drives a Z1R?

I never go over about 70 on high gain so it's plenty loud enough and to me perfectly controlled and driven

May 28, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #9,757 of 11,341
I use normal gain and never go beyond 82.. does high gain give it more punch?

Pc

It shouldn't make a difference unless using low gain the headphone was being underdriven which doesn't sound like the case.

May 28, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #9,758 of 11,341
review of sony z1r and AQ nightowl carbon in that order
stereophile
https://www.stereophile.com/content/gramophone-dreams-16-sony-audioquest-headphones

in conclusion the reviewer notes if he only had one pair of cans it'd be the AQ nightowl carbons.
(guess when you fit in the SQ to $$$ ratio it's a winner)

Not a Pidgin: AudioQuest's latest cool headphones have become my all-day-long delivery vehicles of music and phone calls, life and art. I wear them everywhere, and feel that the young, handsome headphone master Skylar Gray has nailed it. The NightOwl Carbons combine high-quality, all-natural audiophile sound with spectacular looks, exceptional comfort, and durability.
If I were now forced to live with just one set of headphones, they would be AudioQuest's NightOwl Carbons.

huge kudos to AQ for offering what looks like fab bang for the buck.
might consider checking out the AQ night owls to replace my sony 7520 closed cans for portable usage.

Last edited:
May 28, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #9,759 of 11,341
Wish I knew sorry mate. I only know that the Clapham's Leather Dressing available here (and internationally) is considered museum grade in terms of use for conservation and protection. I know I am using some personally. Good luck with whatever you select and let us know how it works out.
Hi Sonic Defender,
I would like to buy the leather dressing to maintenance my Z1R's earpad and headband, also my leather case for AK240 and WM1Z
but would it be very complicate to do the job? Or just apply the dressing, put it overnight and done?
Applying the dressing will help prevent the leather become dry and crack?

Thanks in advance :bow:

May 28, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #9,760 of 11,341
Many so-called "leather dressing" especially the cheaper ones are no more than silicone based dressing, which does more harm than good. It is important not to shop cheap and go for reputable brands with solid history in this industry.

Leather are just like our skin...they need to breathe so you certainly don't want to layer any oil over them. Good mild conditioner that will moist and feed the leather will work best...just my 2 cents

May 28, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #9,761 of 11,341
Many so-called "leather dressing" especially the cheaper ones are no more than silicone based dressing, which does more harm than good. It is important not to shop cheap and go for reputable brands with solid history in this industry.

Leather are just like our skin...they need to breathe so you certainly don't want to layer any oil over them. Good mild conditioner that will moist and feed the leather will work best...just my 2 cents

The Clapham's stuff has been around a long time and most certainly not of the problematic variety you have rightfully pointed out.

May 28, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #9,762 of 11,341
Hi Sonic Defender,
I would like to buy the leather dressing to maintenance my Z1R's earpad and headband, also my leather case for AK240 and WM1Z
but would it be very complicate to do the job? Or just apply the dressing, put it overnight and done?
Applying the dressing will help prevent the leather become dry and crack?

Thanks in advance :bow:

I haven't used it yet as our dry winter hasn't rolled around, but I will be using it lightly in the fall. Yes, that is my understanding, you put on just a little and it absorbs into the leather, it doesn't sit on the surface and it prevents the potential drying and cracking. Does where you live get very dry? I'm not sure about how leather reacts in humid environments so maybe it doesn't need treatment in such conditions. I do know that in dry conditions leather can dry and crack so potentially if somebody lives in an area that gets dry for prolonged periods, plus they used heating such as we do in all of Canada, potentially treating leather can make sense. If it is required is something I don't know much about.

May 29, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #9,764 of 11,341

Thanks for the advice!
the dressing recommended my Sonic Defender seems the one with history and made of nature ingredient
May give it a try on other leather products first, like the WM1Z case or my mom's handbag :stuck_out_tongue:

I haven't used it yet as our dry winter hasn't rolled around, but I will be using it lightly in the fall. Yes, that is my understanding, you put on just a little and it absorbs into the leather, it doesn't sit on the surface and it prevents the potential drying and cracking. Does where you live get very dry? I'm not sure about how leather reacts in humid environments so maybe it doesn't need treatment in such conditions. I do know that in dry conditions leather can dry and crack so potentially if somebody lives in an area that gets dry for prolonged periods, plus they used heating such as we do in all of Canada, potentially treating leather can make sense. If it is required is something I don't know much about.

Thanks for the answer!

No, I live in HK, very high humid environment, but I do keep the Z1R in my room with humidity control at range 50-60%.

May I ask if any recommendation to keep the leather in better condition?

Last edited:
May 29, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #9,765 of 11,341
Thanks for the advice!
the dressing recommended my Sonic Defender seems the one with history and made of nature ingredient
May give it a try on other leather products first, like the WM1Z case or my mom's handbag :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the answer!

No, I live in HK, very high humid environment, but I do keep the Z1R in my room with humidity control at range 50-60%.

May I ask if any recommendation to keep the leather in better condition?
You want to rub uour leather? I too live in HK. Im on the MTR 3 hrs a day with a TH900 and a Hugo amp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back