The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 12, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #601 of 11,341

Sony has done work on human brains from childhood much like McDonalds.

You know there is better, but its some form of hypnosis.

Sony is so hard to resist!

I start drooling at z7 even with all the mixed reviews. I wont comment on wht happens with Z1R

wink_face.gif

but kudos Sony.

I've always had a soft spot for Sony.  There's something about that rather safe but pleasing Sony tuning, generally reliable Japanese manufacturing, and very nice packaging that really gets me.  

...and so, two years after its release, the Z7 continues to be very polarizing.

Yeap...

Sep 12, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #602 of 11,341
  I've always had a soft spot for Sony.  There's something about that rather safe but pleasing Sony tuning, generally reliable Japanese manufacturing, and very nice packaging that really gets me.  

Yeap...

Lately the nice packaging is the one that gets me.  I hope the Z1r will be worth the wait for us all.  I rather give my money to Sony rather than Hifiman.

Sep 12, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #603 of 11,341
x3. The longer I'm in this hobby, the more I realise that expert engineering, build quality, customer service etc. are almost as important to me as sound quality. In sports I always root for the underdog, and I prefer a clever independent film to most of the pathetic Hollywood drivel, but when it comes to audio, some of the so-called "boutique" stuff is just appalling on all fronts. Give me a big player anytime! There used to be a time when people thought that you paid a premium for the little Sony branding on their gear, but nowadays, taking everything into account, I feel that the price/performance ratio I get from the Sonys, Panasonics and Pioneers of this world is much, much better than what their boutique counterparts have to offer, and I don't feel like I'm being used as a Beta tester/guinea pig for some half-baked product someone has cooked up in their garage. As stated above, it's the whole package/experience that counts. So, hooray for mainstream! 
biggrin.gif

Sep 12, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #604 of 11,341
Here's hoping the Z1R lives up to the hype - let's face it even Sony has it's work cut out to equal or better the R10 & 010 Qualia.

I had heard back in 2014 at the Australian Sony HQ in Sydney that Sony was working on a new flagship headphone. I'm pretty certain the engineer told me Sony had called some of it's original audio engineers out of retirement to provide guidance on the project. I don't have any further details except the word of the technician who couldn't tell me anything else.

If a manufacturer can top the R10 you would think Sony would be at the top of the list...

Glad Purk is keen to try them as I'm sure he is the most qualified on this thread to assess them against the above 2 mystical objects.

Thanks to themiddlesky & Currawong for their early mini impressions.

Sep 12, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #605 of 11,341
  x3. The longer I'm in this hobby, the more I realise that expert engineering, build quality, customer service etc. are almost as important to me as sound quality. In sports I always root for the underdog, and I prefer a clever independent film to most of the pathetic Hollywood drivel, but when it comes to audio, some of the so-called "boutique" stuff is just appalling on all fronts. Give me a big player anytime! There used to be a time when people thought that you paid a premium for the little Sony branding on their gear, but nowadays, taking everything into account, I feel that the price/performance ratio I get from the Sonys, Panasonics and Pioneers of this world is much, much better than what their boutique counterparts have to offer, and I don't feel like I'm being used as a Beta tester/guinea pig for some half-baked product someone has cooked up in their garage. As stated above, it's the whole package/experience that counts. So, hooray for mainstream! 
biggrin.gif

There's a lot of merit in the innovation and challenge that many recent brands bring to the market. Sometimes totally different ways of tackling problems, compared to the heavyweight dinosaurs from the past, burdened with all sorts of overhead and lacking the agility of new players.

But on the other hand, people are underestimating what the old brands can do if they flex their engineering know-how. Sony can trounce most flavor-of-the-month hype-train boutique brands if they direct the right resources to the task. But do they care or put the resources towards it? We'll see. The Z1R is hitting a dangerous price band... either they have something good or people might start seeing Sony as another Bang & Olufsen.

Semi-offtopic but I spent this evening playing with the HD800S and the CD3000 side by side, each connected to a similar dac/amp and playing the same tracks. It's impressive how close they sound to my ears, strangely close. The 800S have better imaging and sound roomier and a bit warmer, with the CD3K having tighter bass but sometimes sounding a bit muddier with the worse separation, but the difference isn't huge at all. In fact, the extra spark on the highs can make the CD3K sound more detailed (some might find them slightly sibilant). I'd even dare calling the CD3K "closed HD800S" now, weird but that's exactly how I would classify these two.

Even the difference in soundstage and space in all axis,  the overall holographic sound isn't huge. These huge bean bags on the CD3K make them sound almost as airy as fully open headphones. You can be listening to the 800S, quickly grab the CD3K and there is a clear difference in tone but the sense of space around you changes very little. It's still the same huge room. That leaves me very curious to see what they achieved on the Z1R with those "tit earcups" and the new wood pulp dampening. Wouldn't be surprised to hear HD800-sized sound, or even better.

Considering the ~25 years separating them, and the huge (original) price difference, I have a winner here and it's not made in Germany.  :)
They're both so good that I'm forced to keep both tho, which sucks. Hope the Z1R will kick at least one of these permanently to the Sales forum.

Yup. Given the years/price difference, it is impressive what Sony delivered back then... I see no reason why they can't pull it off again if they bothered engineering something above the usual mass market gear.

Sep 12, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #606 of 11,341

I kind of liked the Z7 when I tried it paired with that Sony balanced DAC/amp (forgot the model name). It had a wetter, smoother flavor compared to the dryish and scalpel-like "look at me I'm a poser mastering engineer" presentation so many audiophile approved flagships seem to have these days. A little overpriced as a complete setup, but the signature, despite obvious coloration, was quite enjoyable.

Honestly, the stock Z7 also sound like an improved version of Beats headphones.  I find the bass to be quite bloated (lacking tightness) and treble to be dark and rolled off.  You can do a mod (thanks Whitigr) to tighten the sound and improve the imaging but it still lack behind the CD3000 and even the SA5000 hence my post before.  Yes, I have the PHA-3 as well.  To each his own but I couldn't stand the Z7 in stock form.  There is a good reason why Tyll decided not to review it.

I agreed with this :D

Sep 12, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #608 of 11,341

I found Z7 tend to be very amp/dac picky...I hope Z1R is not so picky...

the Z1R is superpicky. it played really well with NW-WM1Z, but had a completely different sound from iphone 6s and/or chord mojo.

Sep 12, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #609 of 11,341
  Lately the nice packaging is the one that gets me.  I hope the Z1r will be worth the wait for us all.  I rather give my money to Sony rather than Hifiman.

I like the way Dr. Fang Bian says "HiFiman"

If I had more $$$ to burn I would just say take the $$$

Some of their stuff looks so good.

Sep 12, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #610 of 11,341

I kind of liked the Z7 when I tried it paired with that Sony balanced DAC/amp (forgot the model name). It had a wetter, smoother flavor compared to the dryish and scalpel-like "look at me I'm a poser mastering engineer" presentation so many audiophile approved flagships seem to have these days. A little overpriced as a complete setup, but the signature, despite obvious coloration, was quite enjoyable.

I liked the Z7 and used it with the PHA3, which is what I think you are talking about. The bass quantity was lacking and had a very two dimensional feel about it. I was disappointed as with a 70mm driver I felt the potential was there to have very, very good bass. Hopefully the Z1R is indeed an improvement, but that remains to be seen, well heard. I sure wouldn't be preordering this one, far too many questions to warrant that for me. Still, I'm hopeful as the Z7 was as others have said overall a very nice headphone.

Sep 12, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #611 of 11,341
Sep 12, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #612 of 11,341
Craftsmanship is much much higher on the Sony. Though some Hifiman does sound quite a good bit nicer!

Sep 12, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #614 of 11,341
  Design wise, I'm going to have to agree.  With the exception of perhaps the Edition X, I'm not a fan of most of Hifiman's other designs.  But they sure do sound nice!

I have the HE-1000 and am not pleased with the craftsmanship.  Plus Sony doesn't roll out revisions one after another.

Sep 13, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #615 of 11,341
  I have the HE-1000 and am not pleased with the craftsmanship.  Plus Sony doesn't roll out revisions one after another.

Yeah, as I posted in the hek thread, those are the problems most startup headphone companies are having. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back