The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 12, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #587 of 11,341
When are they shipping ETA? I pre ordered a pair already ?

In Europe, I've seen the following ETAs:
- Germany: October 4th
- UK: October 10th (around 10% cheaper here for some reason)
I have a Pre-order on Amazon.UK. There is still stock on UK and DE

At Amazon.com in the US, they seem to be Out of Stock already. Not sure if more will be available soon.

Sep 12, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #588 of 11,341

- UK: October 10th

At Amazon.com in the US, they seem to be Out of Stock already. Not sure if more will be available soon.

Wow!  That sold really quickly.  Guess interest must be pretty high.

Sep 12, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #591 of 11,341
  Wow!  That sold really quickly.  Guess interest must be pretty high.

Could be. Or the initial stock was a really tiny amount. :)
UK & DE Amazons still have them, but strangely they are not showing up in other european Amazons.

Sep 12, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #593 of 11,341
Uk and DE is preorder still. Amazon US says temporarly out of stock with no preorder status or anything useful. Launch window is probably the same.

I remember Pre-Order was open on the US site when I checked UK/DE about a week ago. Not sure when it went out of stock.
They'll probably have more soon.

Sep 12, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #594 of 11,341
The previous points about the Z7 being meant more for the 'average consumer' and being more popular in non-audiophile circles makes quite a bit of sense actually. Still though, I wonder if the Z7, despite its supposed success with that market, was the right move in the long run. After all, as has been pointed out, Sony's not been receiving universal praise from audio enthusiasts with their flagship home and portable headphones in the Z7 and 1A respectively, which leads me to wonder if Sony can so-called win back that crowd again with the Z1R today.
We'll just have to see. Am impatiently waiting for the new stuff to arrive at local Sony retail.

Sep 12, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #595 of 11,341
  The previous points about the Z7 being meant more for the 'average consumer' and being more popular in non-audiophile circles makes quite a bit of sense actually. Still though, I wonder if the Z7, despite its supposed success with that market, was the right move in the long run. After all, as has been pointed out, Sony's not been receiving universal praise from audio enthusiasts with their flagship home and portable headphones in the Z7 and 1A respectively, which leads me to wonder if Sony can so-called win back that crowd again with the Z1R today.
We'll just have to see. Am impatiently waiting for the new stuff to arrive at local Sony retail.

Moving forward, this will definitely be the big question that the Z1R will have to answer.  Hopefully successfully.  

Sep 12, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #596 of 11,341
  Moving forward, this will definitely be the big question that the Z1R will have to answer.  Hopefully successfully.  

Sony has done work on human brains from childhood much like McDonalds.

You know there is better, but its some form of hypnosis.

Sony is so hard to resist!

I start drooling at z7 even with all the mixed reviews. I wont comment on wht happens with Z1R

wink_face.gif

but kudos Sony.

Sep 12, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #597 of 11,341
  The previous points about the Z7 being meant more for the 'average consumer' and being more popular in non-audiophile circles makes quite a bit of sense actually.

I kind of liked the Z7 when I tried it paired with that Sony balanced DAC/amp (forgot the model name). It had a wetter, smoother flavor compared to the dryish and scalpel-like "look at me I'm a poser mastering engineer" presentation so many audiophile approved flagships seem to have these days. A little overpriced as a complete setup, but the signature, despite obvious coloration, was quite enjoyable.

Sep 12, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #598 of 11,341

I kind of liked the Z7 when I tried it paired with that Sony balanced DAC/amp (forgot the model name). It had a wetter, smoother flavor compared to the dryish and scalpel-like "look at me I'm a poser mastering engineer" presentation so many audiophile approved flagships seem to have these days. A little overpriced as a complete setup, but the signature, despite obvious coloration, was quite enjoyable.

Honestly, the stock Z7 also sound like an improved version of Beats headphones.  I find the bass to be quite bloated (lacking tightness) and treble to be dark and rolled off.  You can do a mod (thanks Whitigr) to tighten the sound and improve the imaging but it still lack behind the CD3000 and even the SA5000 hence my post before.  Yes, I have the PHA-3 as well.  To each his own but I couldn't stand the Z7 in stock form.  There is a good reason why Tyll decided not to review it.

Sep 12, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #599 of 11,341

- UK: October 10th (around 10% cheaper here for some reason)

Amazon had issues with the Z7 launch, so one would ponder they want to err on side of caution with these pricey headphones.  And the customers with their higher expectations considering the additional expense...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back