The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 29, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #5,926 of 11,341
iPhone 7 Plus.

Clarification- I knew the DragonFly would be better but just surprised on the degree of improvement. Well worth the $100.

However it sounds like the Mojo did not show a significant difference compared to the Dragonfly (for the increase in price) ?

In general what DAC/amp are people pairing with these headphones - in a portable type of setup as above (and what I will be using i.e. iPhone 7+ w/ streaming Tidal uncompressed and ALAC files stored on the phone?

Jan 29, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #5,927 of 11,341
i like them alot a own 2 copies..kinda confused on your reference to neutrality..was the ultrasone signature pro remodified per its sound signature?

No, I meant that the Ultrasone Signature Pro is probably the ONLY Ultrasone to not have boosted highs/bass. Although I haven't tried ALL of their headphones, most of the ones I have are mostly V-shaped in nature.

Jan 29, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #5,929 of 11,341

However it sounds like the Mojo did not show a significant difference compared to the Dragonfly (for the increase in price) ?

In general what DAC/amp are people pairing with these headphones - in a portable type of setup as above (and what I will be using i.e. iPhone 7+ w/ streaming Tidal uncompressed and ALAC files stored on the phone?

I am using Mojo mostly with Z1R. However I do have Dragonfly V1.2, time to take it out of the closet.

Jan 29, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #5,930 of 11,341
  They are pretty darn good aren't they? So do you now feel that the Z1R is, at least for some people, going to impress and engage them even more than an Ether C Flow? I have little doubt the C Flow is awesome, and as you know I almost picked one up, but now that you have had time with the Z1R at home, I wonder if your evaluation as compared with the Ether C Flow has changed?

They certainly are! Their expansive sound stage puts them ahead of the Ether C Flow (but they are awesome too) as are the newly voiced LCD-XC. 
smile.gif

Jan 29, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #5,932 of 11,341

They certainly are! Their expansive sound stage puts them ahead of the Ether C Flow (but they are awesome too) as are the newly voiced LCD-XC. 
smile.gif

I would have been very interested in the XC, but that weight, it was just a no go. Almost a Kg on your head I think.

Jan 29, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #5,934 of 11,341
  I would have been very interested in the XC, but that weight, it was just a no go. Almost a Kg on your head I think.

Its in the 600g range and actually on your head they are not bad at all. The weight distribution and earpads do help quite a bit. Comfort goes to the Ether C Flow though.

Jan 29, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #5,935 of 11,341

I am using Tidal HiFi streaming or whatever the higher quality subscription is called....I really didn't see the justification for keeping the Mojo. I didn't have it at same time as the DragonFly (btw, it's the newer 1.5v version) so it's difficult to describe differences in sound. My point was that, for $100, it offers more than what I need and the Z1R sounds great with it. Obviously it helps to have the supreme quality of the Z1R but I just tried it with the MDR V6 and the results are impressive as well.

One big advantage of the Mojo is the volume control. It is very smooth and increases in small increments. You are tied with the iPhone volume bars with the DragonFly, which is not so subtle as you increase volume.

DragonFly is much smaller and easier to store and handle though. That's a huge plus with portability.

Jan 29, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #5,936 of 11,341
I totally agree.
The Signature series probably didn't get enough traction due to Ultrasone being Ultrasone and pricing them way 'out there' (when the prices had not reached the heights it has these past years...). The Signature Pro initially retailed at $1400 and the Signature DJ at $1000. The main differences (apart from the driver and S-logic configuration), the DJs had a wider soundstage and bigger and more slamming bass (surprisingly the Pro was, and it probably still is, very 'neutral' for an Ultrasone). Like them both even though they are not comfortable and the pads are pricy. If someone is looking for a proper closed-back (not that semi-closed/open/whatever/Fostex/Denon/etc.), these are the first that comes to mind (as well as their Performance 880/840 - depending on budget).

They don't hold a candle to the Z1R... but again, diminishing returns... :wink:
the sony z1r isn't better, just different sound signature in my experience

Jan 30, 2017 at 1:58 AM Post #5,938 of 11,341
Hi guys,

i read here that many of you compared z1r with open back cans (hd800(s), beyer t1 ...) but did someone already compared them with closed back's like beyer t5p, mcintosh mhp1000 & audeze lcd xc?
if "yes"...can someone post some impressions please?

Jan 30, 2017 at 2:08 AM Post #5,940 of 11,341
Hi guys,

i read here that many of you compared z1r with open back cans (hd800(s), beyer t1 ...) but did someone already compared them with closed back's like beyer t5p, mcintosh mhp1000 & audeze lcd xc?
if "yes"...can someone post some imprassions please?

Short bit from my review here.

LCD-2 – $995 USD
LCD-XC – $1,799 USD
LCD-X – $1,699 ISD

Okay let’s hit the ground running.  Bass-wise, the Audeze cans lean toward powerful impact with good speed with variations on this general theme. LCD-2 bass sounds fuller and richer, but isn’t as well controlled as the X/XC.  Extension on all three cans is good.  However, is clear that Z1R is is able to retrieve much more detail from the lowest frequencies, articulating them with better body as well. Unfortunately, the Z1R is correspondingly slower in comparison.  The LCD-X/XC comparison stands out in particular.  My personal preference for a general listening can would rest somewhere in between these two types of bass.

My opinion on the mids of the Audeze line has slowly changed through the course of my testing.  I do feel that LCD-2 mids have better body than the LCD X/XC, and its slightly smoother and richer tone is enticing.  To this extent, there is an odd thinness (and grain) that is present on certain tracks for the X/XC.  In addition, the XC seems to have a minor glare in the upper mids.  These aspects aside, there is sheer power and clarity to the X/XC mids, and all three cans perform better than the Z1R. Male vocals, specifically.  

The treble on the LCD 2 isn’t articulate and extended, and loses out solidly to the Z1R.  The X/XC fare better, but also lack in refinement, coming off as sometimes “hot”. Soundstage is really not too impressive for the LCD-2, and point largely amended on the X/XC.  The separation and air present on the X/XC is better than the Z1R, but imaging does come behind.  At any rate, the primary deal breaker for me is not the sound on either of the cans.  In fact I was rather pleased with the LCD-X despite some of its issues.  The thing is –these cans are really heavy, and are uncomfortable for longer listening sessions. The XC really suffered ergonomically when compared to the Z1R.  As I mentioned to a fellow enthusiast, if the Sony engineers had set out to build a headphone this large/ heavy, the sonics would probably have seen a large leap in performance. I understand that there is a new headband system available though, and I sincerely hope that it’ll come stock with future models.  This could close the perceived gap in usability between the headphones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back