The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 9, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #511 of 11,341
There's a pdf advert brochure on the bottom of the page there explaining the Z1R's technology and also accessories, something is said about the case, I can't read Japanese so I don't know whether it says something about the case being leather or not, and the Kimber Kable upgrade with 4.4mm balanced plug.

Google Translate's engrish is "Dedicated hard case".
I read that leather was used in the case somewhere, but in most places there are no references to that. I suspect it's just PU Leather, as Sony would probably have mentioned if it was real leather.

Sep 9, 2016 at 8:35 AM Post #512 of 11,341
So, is this now the only Balanced headphone available on the market. I am not aware of any other manufacturer who sells them One has to mod them oneself, of get them modified by a third party agent.

Hmm? There's many balanced headphones available. If you mean the only one using the 4.4 mm, yes I think it may be the only headphone using that standard.

Sep 9, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #513 of 11,341
Hmm? There's many balanced headphones available. If you mean the only one using the 4.4 mm, yes I think it may be the only headphone using that standard.

Thanks, good read.
I thought it was interesting how the engineers say they spent 10 years looking for the right material to avoid resonance in the earcups while still allowing an airy all-around you feeling unlike what one gets in most closed headphones. Interesting comments about speakers and detail too.

Yup, I'm hyped.

Sep 9, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #514 of 11,341
They discuss the case on tab 5 here: http://www.sony.jp/headphone/special/park/products_m1/tech10.html

Indeed it's synthetic leather, but they mention that they put a lot of thought into it's construction, such as aligning the seams so that it's beautiful when viewed from the front. They also mention that there's a plaque inside the case with the serial number on it, and that's it's designed to store the headphones so that the headband and ear pads are not deformed.

That whole page is worth a read actually, there are lots of interesting details listed there. As you'd expect from a Sony flagship product, they put a lot of attention to detail into these. I don't use full size cans much, but I must admit after going through that page I'm wondering if I should check these out :D

Sep 9, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #515 of 11,341
They discuss the case on tab 5 here: http://www.sony.jp/headphone/special/park/products_m1/tech10.html

Indeed it's synthetic leather, but they mention that they put a lot of thought into it's construction

Impressive attention to detail.

For example, interesting how they say they didn't put the logo on the earcups as usual, but instead on the headband to avoid disturbing the uniformity of the air ventilation.

Also, seen many references to the "feeling of air and space" so far. Seems they put a lot of weight in getting good soundstaging and that large roomy holographic sound that is so notorious on the CD3K. I like that type of closed headphones.

Sep 9, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #517 of 11,341
Hi guys!
Wow, i like the way mdr z1r looks!
I wonder how good that headphone is, compared to mcintosh mhp1000 & audeze lcd xc.
Had someone already the hance to compare one of them to mdr z1r?

They're not out yet so no user reviews, not even of samples. Coming out on the 4th October or so, I suppose we'll see some pro reviews before that.

Sep 9, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #519 of 11,341
But.. But.. "In a couple of DAYS" would be perfect :)

Sep 9, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #520 of 11,341
But.. But.. "In a couple of DAYS" would be perfect
smily_headphones1.gif

That would be nice....Oh well, we'll just have to wait for good things to happen.

Sep 9, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #521 of 11,341
Sep 9, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #523 of 11,341
I may not want it now....but I want it ALL!  Great song to start the day, by the way (it rhymes)!

:D Great song, thanks for the laugh. I know you had been keeping an eye out from the corner watching over many nights and day to take this moment and bring this ! Thumbs up

Sep 10, 2016 at 3:14 AM Post #524 of 11,341
I was in the city today and dropped by the new Sony store where they'd put the new high-end Sony headphone rig....next to a bunch of Bluetooth players, all playing music. Stupid. I went and turned them all off. The new Walkman had a few tracks, none of which I knew, but which included some close-mic'ed cello music. I borrowed a set of stock Z7 cables and used the Z1Rs with my Mojo, which I'd brought along, but it wasn't as good by a long shot as Sony's big rig. I'll have to bring a micro SD card next time, and tear the manager a new one for a completely stupid set-up in such a noisy place. They could have, at least, had a computer running TIDAL. 

Anyhow...impressions. If you have tried all the TOTL headphones and feel that they don't have serious enough bass, get the Z1Rs. They are dark-of-neutral in overall tone, but far more cohesive in presentation than the Z7s are. They handled everything I played remarkably well, from music with too much bass, to that which required delicacy (the cello music).  Sometimes I thought that the mids were a bit too far forward, but then I switched to other music and that didn't seem to be the case. Part of it was probably my turning the volume up a bit too much to compensate for the noise of the store. That left me with an impression that they were resolving enough to be honest with the music, hiding nothing, even if they do have their own character to the tuning. I think we may have a true R10 successor on our hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back