The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 8, 2016 at 3:27 AM Post #436 of 11,341
BTW, there is a signature version coming out for pre order on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01KOE8DKU
Supposed to have engineer's signature on them.

Incorrect. The lineup is just called "signature series" it does not mean they are signed or anything like that.

Sep 8, 2016 at 4:20 AM Post #437 of 11,341
Would that person who posted a link to amazon, thinking it's signed, please consider reading just a bit of a thread before posting.

Mistakes happen but get involved and dig in a bit.

It did make me chuckle, though.  LOL

Sep 8, 2016 at 4:53 AM Post #438 of 11,341
  Would that person who posted a link to amazon, thinking it's signed, please consider reading just a bit of a thread before posting.

To be fair, that wouldn't be a bad idea. After seeing the videos with the engineers discussing the product with such passion, it would be interesting if a few units were signed by the team. Wouldn't pay extra for it but it would definitely be nice.

Sep 8, 2016 at 4:59 AM Post #441 of 11,341
The Sony Japan page is now up. Seems to have a few extra pictures.
http://www.sony.jp/headphone/products/MDR-Z1R/

Says that the launch is on October 29 tho. Hmm weird, my preorder says Oct 10th and in Germany it said Oct 4th.

Sep 8, 2016 at 5:13 AM Post #443 of 11,341
"From the late 1990s repeated studies, we were able to finally prototype in 2013. On from there to be commercialized, it took a further three years. In the production of magnesium dome, in the thin as 30μm (microns), in order to Shiboriageru to this so as not to tear shape, special machinery and craftsman skills will be required. Furthermore, as our strengths, the Sony is the development team of the diaphragm, it has developed from the material of the vibration plate in anticipation of even years to come."

https://translate.google.pl/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=pl&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sony.jp%2Fheadphone%2Fspecial%2Fpark%2Fproducts_m1%2Ftech6.html&edit-text=

Sep 8, 2016 at 5:20 AM Post #444 of 11,341
"From the late 1990s repeated studies, we were able to finally prototype in 2013. On from there to be commercialized, it took a further three years. In the production of magnesium dome, in the thin as 30μm (microns), in order to Shiboriageru to this so as not to tear shape, special machinery and craftsman skills will be required. Furthermore, as our strengths, the Sony is the development team of the diaphragm, it has developed from the material of the vibration plate in anticipation of even years to come."

https://translate.google.pl/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=pl&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sony.jp%2Fheadphone%2Fspecial%2Fpark%2Fproducts_m1%2Ftech6.html&edit-text=

I am glad that they posted this. It is reflective of the effort that has gone into this headphone.

Sep 8, 2016 at 5:20 AM Post #445 of 11,341

All the details coming out seem to show they put quote some dedication into this product. Perhaps they're so confident it can be a new icon that decided to raise the price accordingly.

Well, the proof is in the pudding. I have my ears ready and if it doesn't immediately make me feel like a pig in mud I'm returning it the next day.

Sep 8, 2016 at 5:44 AM Post #446 of 11,341
A brief trip back in time:

I've heard most of the world's best headphones, but somehow missed the Sony MDR-R10.
Only 2,000 were made. Production started in 1989, and at $2,500 a pair, it was the most expensive headphone in the world.

The MDR-R10's 50mm "Bio-Cellulose Dome Diaphragms" are credited with producing the headphones' superclear treble and oh-so supple bass.  The headphone also sported real lambskin-covered ear pads, and the large sculpted ear cups are made from aged wood from Zelkova trees.  Sony did make a few other headphones with Bio Cellulose drivers -- the MDR-CD3000, 1991, MDR-E888 in 1995, MDR-CD1700 in 1996, and the MDR-CD2000 in 2000 -- but those headphones never attained the stature of the MDR-R10. No, it's never just one thing that makes the great ones great, it's the whole design.

So the question is raised: If Sony was clever enough to design a world-class, uber-audiophile headphone back in the day, why can't they do it again?  Or make something almost as good and sell it for a lot less? I really don't have a clue, but the MDR-R10 may have really been the Holy Grail, at least as far as dynamic headphones go.

2016:

I want me some Bio-Cellulose Dome Diaphragms, please or will this new dome beat it?  

footnote: content taken from http://www.cnet.com/news/sony-mdr-r10-the-worlds-best-headphone/

final thoughts: 27 years later - these are 200.00 cheaper than the MDR-R10

Sep 8, 2016 at 5:55 AM Post #447 of 11,341
  Only 2,000 were made. Production started in 1989, and at $2,500 a pair, it was the most expensive headphone in the world.

To put that in perspective, adjusted for inflation that would be around $4919.98 at the present date, which is roughly twice the MDR-Z1R cost.

The MDR-R10's 50mm "Bio-Cellulose Dome Diaphragms" are credited with producing the headphones' superclear treble and oh-so supple bass.                                             The headphone also sported real lambskin-covered ear pads, and the large sculpted ear cups are made from aged wood from Zelkova trees.                                                   Sony did make a few other headphones with Bio Cellulose drivers -- the MDR-CD3000, 1991, MDR-E888 in 1995, MDR-CD1700 in 1996, and                                              the MDR-CD2000 in 2000 -- but those headphones never attained the stature of the MDR-R10. No, it's never just one thing that makes the                                            great ones great, it's the whole design.

I know people who prefer the sound of the MDR-CD3000 to the R10, incredibly. I have not heard the R10 myself to comment.
Part of what made the R10 special was also the build quality. The wood and lambskin easily made it more durable and refined than the plastic/PU leather used in the other models.

So the question is raised: If Sony was clever enough to design a world-class, uber-audiophile headphone back in the day, why can't they do it again?  Or make something almost as good and sell it for a lot less? I really don't have a clue, but the MDR-R10 may have really been the Holy Grail, at least as far as dynamic headphones go.

2016:

I want me some Bio-Cellulose Dome Diaphragms, please or will this new dome beat it?  

They can, that's why I preordered them without listening. :D
But just because they can doesn't mean they won't flop. I'm sure the Z1R will be good, but not so sure it will be R10-good or even $2000 good.

Can't wait to do the comparison with the HD800S and MDR-CD3000. I'm actually thinking about selling these two and already have good offers for the latter, but just can't let go before making sure the Z1R aren't a stylish hand-made japanese lemon.

Anyway, thanks for sharing, good food for thought.

Sep 8, 2016 at 6:03 AM Post #448 of 11,341
Innovate on the great's in the past, and make them better. Not the Sony philosophy? We shall see. Indeed not having seen it for so long, it will certainly be a shock if they do. None of this HD-800- 800S nonsense for Sony. 

Sep 8, 2016 at 6:49 AM Post #449 of 11,341
Innovate on the great's in the past, and make them better. Not the Sony philosophy? We shall see. Indeed not having seen it for so long, it will certainly be a shock if they do. None of this HD-800- 800S nonsense for Sony. 

If you produce the best selling premium headphone ever, why is it nonsense to adress the customers critics within a facelift and still keep the price reasonable? And the addition of balanced cable is the only thing that increased the price

Sep 8, 2016 at 7:18 AM Post #450 of 11,341
If you produce the best selling premium headphone ever, why is it nonsense to adress the customers critics within a facelift and still keep the price reasonable? And the addition of balanced cable is the only thing that increased the price

Depends on what reasonable means.
Japan doesn't have cheap labour and they are hand-made, which definitely increases price compared to mass-produced units in other markets.
Having decent materials like beta titanium and sheepskin, along with reasonable accessories (cables, quality case) also costs. And that's excluding R&D and marketing.

That said, I have no idea what the bill of materials is for the Z1R, so perhaps they could be considerably cheaper. But we can't forget that pushing the price up is usually something brands like to do to transmit a [often false] sense of quality/exclusivity.

Being more practical, I would find more acceptable something like 1200-1500, considering that's what the HD800/HD800S (made in Germany) and other higher-end models cost and as far as I can tell, their build quality/labour probably also doesn't justify it. Sony will have to put out something quite good to justify the price tag. I'm a bit of a CD3000 fanboy, otherwise I'd probably skip this one (at least until good reviews appear).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back