The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 20, 2016 at 3:24 AM Post #1,891 of 11,341
When I received my Z1Rs this afternoon, I was fairly disappointed. I had purchased these because I find most TOTL headphones either too bright (HD800, S or no S, Ethers, SR009) or dark (Audeze). I like deep bass and a warm sound but not too dark. The closest headphones I had found to solve this goldilocks problem was the Fostex TH series of headphones. Sadly, while the bass on the TH900 knocks my socks off, it is way too piercy in the treble and the mids are too recessed (I have bought and sold them three times). The THX00 is much better balanced but lacks the bass heft I need. So, for the past few years, a TH600 with a few mods to bring up the mids and flatten out the treble has been my goto HP.

I was therefore intrigued by the descriptions of the Z1R as a bassy HP with a warm signature and potentially TOTL resolution. I went ahead and ordered from Amazon U.K. What I received this afternoon was not that. My first impressions of the Z1R reminded me of the HD800: shrill and bass-less with an overly-wide soundstage.

Fast forward 10 hours and, be it brain burn-in or driver burn-in, the Z1Rs are knocking my socks off (Denon DP300F ->Denon DL110 -> Schiit Mani -> Feliks Elise > Z1R). It sounds full, organic, natural and open (all that good audiophile stuff) but with a nice, solid, extended bass.

I'm enjoying them so much I can't even bring myself to take them off to take pics so a pic of the inside of the carry case will have to do :)

Another classic in the making, it seems. :thinking:

Oct 20, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #1,892 of 11,341

Yes, please check out some Miles Davis stuff, like Doo Bop or Tutu plus SMV Thunder and Beethoven: Violin Concerto & Romances #1 & 2 Itzhak Perlman; Daniel Barenboim: Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra and add and.........

I'll check the Beethoven for you later tonight. I have several versions:
1. Itzhak Perlman, Giulini & Philharmonia Orchestra
2. Arthur Grumiaux, Colin Davis and LSO

I'll be sure to get the version you suggested later. I imagine it'd be pretty awesome. Beethoven Violin Concerto utilized violin's high register very well. I expect this to bring out Z1R's treble quality.

And I have extensive Barenboim collection, I'll just listen to some and give you an idea to how Z1R renders: 1. Piano & Orchestra, 2. Piano solo.

Personally if you're into piano music I'd say get some Badura-Skoda, he records on a Bosendorfer piano, which has incredible bass impact! A different beast from your usual Steinway D/B sound. Very direct and powerful sounding. Also RIchter and his Yamahas are also interesting in tonality. There's so much possibility in piano that I really don't like how most recordings are done with Steinway nowadays. Sure, it's beautiful and each Steinway has its own sound, but the variation is not greater than the difference between Steinway, Bechstein, Bosendorfer and Yamaha.

Oct 20, 2016 at 3:33 AM Post #1,893 of 11,341
Interesting that such varying initial opinions are appearing. My Z1Rs are a good +3dB in the bass over my HE1000 at approx 80dB volume. The HE1000 is my yardstick for natural sounding, extended bass, so by my own experience I could never call these anything other than bass heavy. Of course, different people will have different yardsticks.

The inflated bass isn't necessarily a problem with all types of music, and can be enjoyable in many cases. It can also be beneficial at lower volume levels. On the flip side, there are tracks that really suffer, as you'd expect from a bass boosted tuning. To generalise, I can see these being enjoyable for a lot of acoustic music, jazz for example. Being able to follow a boosted jazz bass line can be quite fun, and the Z1Rs bass does have some texture to it (though not at the level of the HEK to my ears).

I think it can suffer with some pop/rock tracks where the bass may be overdriven a bit in the recording already,and in these instances the mids do suffer (Fiona Apple - When The Pawn...).

Again, I'd be interested to know what kind of volume people are listening to these, and what music. Like any bass boost, it'll be enjoyable or a problem depending upon these factors.

We're talking about bass a lot (understandably), but I also think it's worth mentioning that the Z1R to my ears could use a bit more air up top. I feel it sounds more closed in than it needs to in this regard. I've found that it responds well to some EQ around 10kHz to bring it out of its shell a bit. In fact, whilst I'd probably switch the bass EQ in and out depending on the music, the high frequency EQ is something I'd leave in for good (based on my experience with it so far). Bear in mind though, I haven't owned a closed headphone for a couple of years so I'm bound to want to recreate some of the airiness of the HEK.

Anyway, more listening to be done today....

Oct 20, 2016 at 3:39 AM Post #1,894 of 11,341
Interesting that such varying initial opinions are appearing. My Z1Rs are a good +3dB in the bass over my HE1000 at approx 80dB volume. The HE1000 is my yardstick for natural sounding, extended bass, so by my own experience I could never call these anything other than bass heavy. Of course, different people will have different yardsticks.

The inflated bass isn't necessarily a problem with all types of music, and can be enjoyable in many cases. It can also be beneficial at lower volume levels. On the flip side, there are tracks that really suffer, as you'd expect from a bass boosted tuning. To generalise, I can see these being enjoyable for a lot of acoustic music, jazz for example. Being able to follow a boosted jazz bass line can be quite fun, and the Z1Rs bass does have some texture to it (though not at the level of the HEK to my ears).

I think it can suffer with some pop/rock tracks where the bass may be overdriven a bit in the recording already,and in these instances the mids do suffer (Fiona Apple - When The Pawn...).

Again, I'd be interested to know what kind of volume people are listening to these, and what music. Like any bass boost, it'll be enjoyable or a problem depending upon these factors.

We're talking about bass a lot (understandably), but I also think it's worth mentioning that the Z1R to my ears could use a bit more air up top. I feel it sounds more closed in than it needs to in this regard. I've found that it responds well to some EQ around 10kHz to bring it out of its shell a bit. In fact, whilst I'd probably switch the bass EQ in and out depending on the music, the high frequency EQ is something I'd leave in for good (based on my experience with it so far). Bear in mind though, I haven't owned a closed headphone for a couple of years so I'm bound to want to recreate some of the airiness of the HEK.

Anyway, more listening to be done today....

Interesting, you seem to be a candidate to produce an Amazon warehouse deal. Don't hesitate, send it back. Just kidding, I hope you don't mind.

Oct 20, 2016 at 4:16 AM Post #1,896 of 11,341

I think I understand your comments and I've had those thoughts myself. They do have a heavy low end but I listen to lots of very different music and haven't found many cases where it's overwhelming, although it does happen in some tracks.

Considering how good they are with acoustic and well recorded stuff that isn't bass-boosted at mastering, I think it might be a good trade-off versus safer choices that lack that extra fun.

It might be your habituation to open headphones. I find them very airy, with an excellent sense of space. However, they are behind open models, the 800S in particular. In some tracks, surprisingly close. I don't think any closed model will come close of those or the HE1000.
So that lack of air is something you'd have to accept I'm afraid.

What I wouldn't mind is a bit more brightness at the high-mids and above. Just a little bit. Right now they are bright but my ears usually like a bright sound, which often gets me some fatigue with harshness and stridency in some tracks - the Z1R never have that drawback and can still be bright and detailed, but... just a tiny little bit more beyond the reasonable would make me happy. :D

Quote:
I was therefore intrigued by the descriptions of the Z1R as a bassy HP with a warm signature and potentially TOTL resolution. I went ahead and ordered from Amazon U.K. What I received this afternoon was not that. My first impressions of the Z1R reminded me of the HD800: shrill and bass-less with an overly-wide soundstage.

Your initial description fully surprised me, a sI spent a couple of days doing a hot of hopping between the HD800 S and the Z1R and my ears/brain trio didn't have that impression at all. Bass is a lot better (and substancially more) than on the 800 S.  Soundstage is wide indeed, but not as wide, they're still quite holographic and for some times of intimate music (some Jazz for instance) it kinda works out even better with a wide-but-not-exaggerate sense of space.

Fast forward 10 hours and, be it brain burn-in or driver burn-in, the Z1Rs are knocking my socks off (Denon DP300F ->Denon DL110 -> Schiit Mani -> Feliks Elise > Z1R). It sounds full, organic, natural and open (all that good audiophile stuff) but with a nice, solid, extended bass.

I'm enjoying them so much I can't even bring myself to take them off to take pics so a pic of the inside of the carry case will have to do
smily_headphones1.gif

I am intrigued with the Z1R myself because I am not a believe in burn-in at all, at least not when it comes to significant audible differences. However. my appreciation of the Z1R great considerably after several hours. Is it brain burn in, as we adjust to the sound and start being able to spot its strenghts better? Is it perhaps the loss of that initial "These are godlike headphones, I will be amazed when I first put them on" aura that comes with all long pre-orders?

Or are those big-ass 70mm crystal polymer-edge drivers really benefiting from a few hours of use?

I don't know. Still not a burn-in believer. But just in case, I'm now at work and once again the Z1R are at home playing music for the cat. When I left I could clearly hear "She Wants Revenge" coming from the desk and I recall thinking "Damn... sucks that I have to go to work to be able to pay for these things and then can't listen to these things because I have to go to work" Then I waved goodbye and left it burning
biggrin.gif

Oct 20, 2016 at 6:13 AM Post #1,898 of 11,341
We are fast building up a database of serial numbers... And some serial number and address label series may sound better than others? Keep those photos, serial numbers and sound impressions coming!

Very unlikely unless either Sony have ridiculous QC or they suddenly changed their mind in terms of tuning without any user feedback.

No need to go full blown paranoid here.

Oct 20, 2016 at 6:30 AM Post #1,899 of 11,341
Indeed. It's important to remember that people's opinions of any headphone will vary wildly depending on their yardsticks, preferences, music and listening levels. In other words, don't take our word for it...go listen yourself
wink.gif

Oct 20, 2016 at 6:42 AM Post #1,900 of 11,341
That may be true, but I have seen many measurements where the left/right frequency response vary by quite a bit.. and this includes reputable brands .as well. I certainly hope that Sony's QC is better than others... The point is that ometimes the model we listen to is not exactly the same as what is delivered in a sealed box.

Oct 20, 2016 at 6:52 AM Post #1,901 of 11,341
Very unlikely unless either Sony have ridiculous QC or they suddenly changed their mind in terms of tuning without any user feedback.

No need to go full blown paranoid here.

On the Z7 the headband comes assembled when you need a spare part. I guess Sony buys it from a supplier in one piece. Imagine your Chinese sub supplier sends you 10000 headbads without your company address lasered in and you did already launch the product. I am in supply chain, medical devices, for us it would be impossible to accept the parts, but in Hifi audio you can probably say so what, we take the part as is, the address has nothing to do with the sound, only with our pride....

Oct 20, 2016 at 7:42 AM Post #1,902 of 11,341
That may be true, but I have seen many measurements where the left/right frequency response vary by quite a bit.. and this includes reputable brands .as well. I certainly hope that Sony's QC is better than others... The point is that ometimes the model we listen to is not exactly the same as what is delivered in a sealed box.

True. Plus different head shapes, different ear canals and auditory state, different brains (metal DSPs), different source gear and listening environments, different past experience/baselines, etc.

There can be quite a variation in the way these products are perceived. Still, some aspects are not subjective. For instance, it's very unlikely that someone will find the Z7 to have a wider soundstage and more airy sound than the HD800, or find the 800 easier to drive, or find the Z7 too thin in bass and so on. Other aspects like build quality are also easy to measure.

But taste.. especially when comparing two products in the same class and type of design (closed/open)... that can be tricky.
Anyway, I didn't have time to listen to my Z1R much yesterday, so I'm annoyed. They'll be playing Morphine the whole day today while I'm at work who, so at least the cat is probably enjoying himself.

Oct 20, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #1,904 of 11,341
Wait... You're leaving you headphone with your cat? Mine had eaten several cables I've owned..

Oh, that little person screwed me several times before. Last victim was an audio extension cable. I know his modus operandi by now.

The Z1R are on a desk he avoids, and the cables are discretely hidden below the unit. But now you made me think about it and get nervous. Maybe the little weasel will still find a way to get to them...
If that happens, instead of returning the Z1R I'll be buying upgraded cables and giving a cat away for free!

Oct 20, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #1,905 of 11,341
I just discovered the operating manual... a few details.

It says that all the leather used on Z1R is natural leather, which is good.

It also says, "Please don't force the headphones into your ear canals because the high-density solid chassis might damage your ears. Pressing the headphones deeper into your ear canal might induce clicking sound. This is not a malfunction."(Rough translation from Chinese but it really says "into your ear canal"

So MDR-Z1R is designed to be an in-ear monitor? Wow, now this is truly an eye opener.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back