The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 19, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #1,876 of 11,341
  Yeah, a good headphone is supposed to reproduce whatever is recorded.
If the music is bassy, HP should be bassy, if it is not, then HP should not.
At least that is what I think of a TOTL HP should be.

Correct, however it's easy to lose your reference or maybe have a different reference than say someone using an HD800 (non-S) vs a TH900. So you've gotta ask - always, otherwise one persons excellent could be another persons too much bass.

HE1000 on the other hand is pretty straight on and can have a lot of bass when the tracks ask for it. Which is why I'm worried that the Z1R might be too bassy?

Oct 19, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #1,878 of 11,341
I can enjoy bassy Jazz music from Miles with Marcus Miller or recordings from Stanley Clarke very much with my Z7. Compared a HD800 feels rather bass anemic. After a week or so i can adjust to the HD800 presentation and the same music sounds complete again. But not in direct comparison. Same goes with my DT1770 and the HD650.

Oct 19, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #1,879 of 11,341
Serial #444 in the house. Much lighter than I imagined, both in sound and in physical weight.

Seriously, what are people listening to to describe these as bass-heavy? They have (much?) less bass than my TH900 and TH600, maybe even the THX000.

Any chance we could meet up? I would love to hear these.

Oct 19, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #1,880 of 11,341

What amp do you use to drive them with?  The GS-X MKII?  If that is the case, then the Z1R is one warm sounding headphones! My favorite warmish sounding headphones is the Stax SR-007 for sure.  Perhaps a silver upgrade cable will do a lot good for your Z1R.  I already have a Silver Dragon ready for the Z1R whenever it gets here.  Do you like the Z1R better than the Elear?

Used the new Sony flagship Walkman, flagship desktop amp/DAC and the Woo WA5LE (all were excellent with them). I preferred the Elears FWIW. Closed headphones are usually disadvantaged here, but the Z1R is a great closed can and in my top 3 I've heard (with the new 2016 LCD-XC and Ether Flow C). If you prefer the SR007 to the SR009, then these might be up your alley. If its the other way around, then I'd suggest you look at the Ether Flow C for a great pair of closed headphones.

Oct 19, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #1,881 of 11,341
@MacedonianHero seeing as how the Ether C Flow is a fair comparison to the Z1R, could you outline what you feel the main distinguishing signature differences are? Related to your opinion on the Elear vrs Z1R, so is it safe to assume that a moderate bass-head (such as myself) who still really likes appropriate detail and tonality would be better served by the Z1R over the Elear? My source that I would be using for the Z1R is not in a position to accept returns so without hearing the Z1R I have to obtain as many comparisons and opinions as possible. Sorry to be a pest, hopefully others in the thread will have the same questions.

Oct 19, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #1,882 of 11,341
  @MacedonianHero seeing as how the Ether C Flow is a fair comparison to the Z1R, could you outline what you feel the main distinguishing signature differences are? Related to your opinion on the Elear vrs Z1R, so is it safe to assume that a moderate bass-head (such as myself) who still really likes appropriate detail and tonality would be better served by the Z1R over the Elear? My source that I would be using for the Z1R is not in a position to accept returns so without hearing the Z1R I have to obtain as many comparisons and opinions as possible. Sorry to be a pest, hopefully others in the thread will have the same questions.

The Elears are more dynamic and in the end more transparent to my ears. The Ether Flow C is more "neutral" than the Z1R, so it depends what you're looking for? Both are great closed headphones, but I did prefer the Ether C Flow (for a closed headphone). With the Elears, I loved them and for $999, its hard to recommend a headphone over them. They are like a "perfected" HD650 (no veil, punchy with taught bass and great punch). 

Oct 19, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #1,883 of 11,341
  The Elears are more dynamic and in the end more transparent to my ears. The Ether Flow C is more "neutral" than the Z1R, so it depends what you're looking for? Both are great closed headphones, but I did prefer the Ether C Flow (for a closed headphone). With the Elears, I loved them and for $999, its hard to recommend a headphone over them. They are like a "perfected" HD650 (no veil, punchy with taught bass and great punch). 

Thanks, yes, if I didn't have the 800S, or the A800 for that matter, I would be all over the Elear. I am just very nervous about the Ether C as it was widely reported that it was quite bass shy for a closed headphone with enough members opining that even the Ether had more pronounced bass. I'm not aware if the Ether C Flow received other treatments to improve bass performance. I'm not likely to want to spend that kind of money on neutral bass with the 800S already on hand. Thoughts?

Oct 19, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #1,884 of 11,341
Thanks, yes, if I didn't have the 800S, or the A800 for that matter, I would be all over the Elear. I am just very nervous about the Ether C as it was widely reported that it was quite bass shy for a closed headphone with enough members opining that even the Ether had more pronounced bass. I'm not aware if the Ether C Flow received other treatments to improve bass performance. I'm not likely to want to spend that kind of money on neutral bass with the 800S already on hand. Thoughts?
The HD800/S are both great headphones. They are both on the light side of bass levels. Any of the Ethers will have a significant bass increase over the HD800/S. The Elear may seem just a hair more bass level over the Ethers. The Flow is about the same bass level as the Elear. The HD800 has the widest sound stage of these, the S next, the Flows, Elear and Ether in that order all slightly smaller on each but still all have great sound stage presentations. HD800's are probably my personal LEAST favorite without mod'ing them. (That's my opinion of LEAST favorite)

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Oct 19, 2016 at 11:45 PM Post #1,885 of 11,341
The HD800/S are both great headphones. They are both on the light side of bass levels. Any of the Ethers will have a significant bass increase over the HD800/S. The Elear may seem just a hair more bass level over the Ethers. The Flow is about the same bass level as the Elear. The HD800 has the widest sound stage of these, the S next, the Flows, Elear and Ether in that order all slightly smaller on each but still all have great sound stage presentations. HD800's are probably my personal LEAST favorite without mod'ing them. (That's my opinion of LEAST favorite)

Thanks, great input. I plump up the 800S bass lightly with a gentle bump via parametric EQing and it helps. I also did this for the LCD2F mind you. Typically I find open headphones can use just a slight boost. I never boost much as I'm not the type who thinks you can really overcome design realities via software, but a little boost even if imperfect seems to help nicely. Funny that I like the 800S so much, frankly I didn't expect to as odd as that may sound (odd as in why did you buy them then?) and I do prefer bass centric headphones in general (as long as it is well done bass). There is something about the poise and the tone of the 800S that just works for me. I did also really enjoy the DT 880 with good amplification (SPL Auditor). Anyway, thanks for the thoughts. I know MacedonianHero is quite impressed with the newly tuned LCD XC, what has your experience with that headphone been?

Oct 20, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #1,886 of 11,341
Hmmm ok I'll preface by stating I prefer "open back" cans over closed personally. Also all of our Audeze we recently refreshed to the most current versions and likely only have 20-30 hours on them. I do think the new XC stages nicely and places bass in a plus attitude. Mids & Hi's are more detailed than the previous version. Build quality seems improved on fit and finish. I believe Audeze LCD-XC is a great headphone .....I prefer the X :smile::thumbsup_tone1:

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Oct 20, 2016 at 1:08 AM Post #1,887 of 11,341
Got mine Z1R. 
L3000.gif

Oct 20, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #1,888 of 11,341
When I received my Z1Rs this afternoon, I was fairly disappointed. I had purchased these because I find most TOTL headphones either too bright (HD800, S or no S, Ethers, SR009) or dark (Audeze). I like deep bass and a warm sound but not too dark. The closest headphones I had found to solve this goldilocks problem was the Fostex TH series of headphones. Sadly, while the bass on the TH900 knocks my socks off, it is way too piercy in the treble and the mids are too recessed (I have bought and sold them three times). The THX00 is much better balanced but lacks the bass heft I need. So, for the past few years, a TH600 with a few mods to bring up the mids and flatten out the treble has been my goto HP.

I was therefore intrigued by the descriptions of the Z1R as a bassy HP with a warm signature and potentially TOTL resolution. I went ahead and ordered from Amazon U.K. What I received this afternoon was not that. My first impressions of the Z1R reminded me of the HD800: shrill and bass-less with an overly-wide soundstage.

Fast forward 10 hours and, be it brain burn-in or driver burn-in, the Z1Rs are knocking my socks off (Denon DP300F ->Denon DL110 -> Schiit Mani -> Feliks Elise > Z1R). It sounds full, organic, natural and open (all that good audiophile stuff) but with a nice, solid, extended bass.

I'm enjoying them so much I can't even bring myself to take them off to take pics so a pic of the inside of the carry case will have to do :)

Oct 20, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #1,889 of 11,341
Thanks guys...keep the impression rolling in.

Oct 20, 2016 at 3:20 AM Post #1,890 of 11,341
Lol....if you have SA5000 and in Single Ended to compare to something that can do Balanced....it would be just....not right. My 2 cents
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah. And the SA5000s can also be recabled into cable? But I'm running the Z1R on single ended 3.5mm kimber cable now. I don't have a balanced amp with me until ZH1ES arrives. All my other stuff are just too bulky to take with me so I left them in US. I'm cable, balance and burn-in agnostic, but I of course look forward to the performance of Z1R and SA5000 on balanced amp or better cable, per yours and Purk's suggestions.

I think Z1R does fine with 3.5mm, and the SA5000 sounded fine to me on single ended output. Both are really beautiful headphones.. But I think it's time I retire my extensive SA5000 collection and put them in the humidity-free container now : )

Maybe until I get my hands on some Q010s  
very_evil_smiley.gif

I was therefore intrigued by the descriptions of the Z1R as a bassy HP with a warm signature and potentially TOTL resolution. I went ahead and ordered from Amazon U.K. What I received this afternoon was not that. My first impressions of the Z1R reminded me of the HD800: shrill and bass-less with an overly-wide soundstage.

Fast forward 10 hours and, be it brain burn-in or driver burn-in, the Z1Rs are knocking my socks off (Denon DP300F ->Denon DL110 -> Schiit Mani -> Feliks Elise > Z1R). It sounds full, organic, natural and open (all that good audiophile stuff) but with a nice, solid, extended bass.

I'm enjoying them so much I can't even bring myself to take them off to take pics so a pic of the inside of the carry case will have to do
smily_headphones1.gif

Wow... and you have the exact opposite impression of Z1R before starting to enjoy it. I thought it was too impactful (sub-bass) and too congested with imaging all over the place. And after spending some time with it I'm throughly thrilled by its performance...

Got mine Z1R. 
L3000.gif

Wait... You also have the address printed on it? Are you in EU or NA? I'm in Asia and my headband doesn't have this cool Sony signature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back