The Official Sennheiser IE800S thread!
Apr 11, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #1,246 of 1,278
To tack onto my post above, I will say that Radius Deep Mount tips not only fasten securely to the IE800S, but they improve the sound considerably in my opinion.

The bass is flattened and perhaps lowered in level overall, but still extends into the abyss. The biggest difference for me is that the treble response is greatly improved for me, where the overall "spikiness" of the signal is toned down appreciably, yet the treble detail may actually have improved. The sound still tilts towards bright, but the presentation is much more natural than the stock tips.

Apr 11, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #1,247 of 1,278
To tack onto my post above, I will say that Radius Deep Mount tips not only fasten securely to the IE800S, but they improve the sound considerably in my opinion.

The bass is flattened and perhaps lowered in level overall, but still extends into the abyss. The biggest difference for me is that the treble response is greatly improved for me, where the overall "spikiness" of the signal is toned down appreciably, yet the treble detail may actually have improved. The sound still tilts towards bright, but the presentation is much more natural than the stock tips.

Thanks. Do you mean this product? Or are there various types of these Radius Deep Mount tips? It's Japan import only, right?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275028503766

Apr 11, 2023 at 5:02 PM Post #1,248 of 1,278
Apr 11, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #1,249 of 1,278
Thanks. And did you find that size-wise you ended up using the same size as the stock Sennheiser tips, i.e., if you were using M Sennheiser IE-800S the same was true for this Radius?

Apr 11, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #1,250 of 1,278
Good question. The radius tips come in four sizes and the Sennheiser tips come in three. I would slot the smallest and largest of each tip together, and the other two are slightly larger and slightly smaller than the medium Sennheiser tip. I use the medium tip for the Sennheiser and use the second largest tip for the radius.

I'm dying to know what you think of them because I think they cleaned up the image and addressed a little bit of the issue without robbing them of their magic the way the symbiotips did.

Apr 12, 2023 at 2:57 AM Post #1,251 of 1,278
Thanks. I'll order the All Sizes then and see what works for me. It will be a while, as these will have to make their way from Japan.

Just last confirmation, it's the black ones, surely not the light/white ones that say they provide "bass boom", right?

Apr 12, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #1,252 of 1,278
Thanks. I'll order the All Sizes then and see what works for me. It will be a while, as these will have to make their way from Japan.

Just last confirmation, it's the black ones, surely not the light/white ones that say they provide "bass boom", right?
Didn't know that was a thing! The ones I have are black.

Bass boom, eh? Do you have a link?

FWIW I got mine in a couple weeks. Untracked, but relatively quick.

EDIT: To clarify, here are the ones I have:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/204053051624
The packaging is white, the tips are not. I know there's a set with black packaging.

If the ones I just linked are "bass boom", get those because I think they nailed the bass.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #1,253 of 1,278
Didn't know that was a thing! The ones I have are black.

Bass boom, eh? Do you have a link?

FWIW I got mine in a couple weeks. Untracked, but relatively quick.

EDIT: To clarify, here are the ones I have:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/204053051624
The packaging is white, the tips are not. I know there's a set with black packaging.

If the ones I just linked are "bass boom", get those because I think they nailed the bass.

OK, thanks for the link. I'll try to get those.

These are the other ones I was referring to, I think they are the same but different packaging: https://www.ebay.com/itm/364065720580

And the white ones: https://www.ebay.com/itm/256025067678 -- I don't want more bass, so I won't get these.

Jul 30, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #1,254 of 1,278
And so I got them, some two months ago. I finally got around to test the sound. It's crazy, but I think you might be right. What you said is true:

"The bass is flattened and perhaps lowered in level overall, but still extends into the abyss. The biggest difference for me is that the treble response is greatly improved for me, where the overall "spikiness" of the signal is toned down appreciably, yet the treble detail may actually have improved."

Except I would say it's not a considerable improvement, but it's an improvement for sure.

Thanks for the advice!

The only downside is that it takes considerably longer to get the tips on than the stock ones and I had an incident of the tip remaining in the ear after listening, which never happens with the stock tips.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #1,255 of 1,278
For me, the stock tips were intolerably splashy, and at times/certain volumes they'd hurt to listen to. Those Radius tips smoothed the spikes out to the point it was no longer intolerable. For me, that's significant.

I will say, after a few months of tip swapping, they don't stay on well, so be aware of that (especially if you use the tips on other earphones with wider bores in the meantime). I now use the long discontinued narrow bore Symbio tips I decried as boring earlier in the thread, hah.

I also tried Azla Crystal TWS tips that fit perfectly and stayed put. They smoothed out the treble perfectly. They also reduced bass response by, oh, 15db. It converted the IE800S to an earbud.

Jul 31, 2023 at 4:09 PM Post #1,256 of 1,278
The IE800S does change sometimes significantly in the bass and treble with different tips. I could never get a good seal with the stock tips, my size is right in the middle of the stock small and medium, medium is too big and small is too small. So I tried a few others, Spinfit W1, CP100, Moondrop Spring Tips, Penon's generic tips, and stock Comply foam tips. Of the bunch, the Spinfit W1 sounds the most balanced and most resolving in the bass and treble, but unfortunately falls off very easily because of the short nozzle on the IE800S. The CP100 is a close second, but the treble is not as clean and soundstage suffers a bit. The stock Comply tips actually take away a peak I'm hearing at 5.5kHz, but also cuts out a lot of treble extension makes the bass sound too muddy for me. So I'm sticking with the CP100 and EQ for now, until I can find a solution to securely fit the W1 tips on the nozzle. If anyone knows a good solution for that, let me know (aside from using tape or something).

Jul 31, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #1,257 of 1,278
I insist that the "treble sharpness" is from the hard plastic tube of the stock tip!

Oct 1, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #1,258 of 1,278
Hi all

I wrote a review of this little marvel of a headphone. Hope Sennheiser brings it back :)

https://www.headphoneer.com/sennheiser-ie800s-mini-review/

wp-1695419412498.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back