The official "most OVERRATED headphones" thread
Jun 22, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #481 of 666
Every Sony and Bose headphones.

I hate Bose! All of my friends - who are not audiophiles - just can't believe it when i say that my Denon D1000 are better than the triport at a smaller cost. Also.. don't you hate it when people show off their overpriced stuff when you clearly have better equipment than them??

Jun 23, 2008 at 12:37 AM Post #482 of 666
SE530. They don't hold a candle to the UE Triple-fi's, IMO.

Jul 4, 2008 at 1:33 AM Post #483 of 666
The two most overrated to me are:

Sony MDR V150. These things sell like crazy, and at only 25 bucks. While they aren't terrible, they aren't good.

Bose on ear headphones. These actually have good, clear sound, but the bass is extremely overwhelming. You simply cannot hear the mids in some recordings. If it weren't for this, they would be perfect. They are also very overpriced. I could see these things selling for $80, instead of $180.

Jul 4, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #484 of 666
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So they manage to sell trash as if it was very high-end, with a name looking very much like "BOSS" (clothes brand)? Hmmm ... is their stock overvalued, too, or is there a way to get into this con? Go, BOSE, go!

PS: The earbuds accompanying mp3 players are overrated, even at their non-price.

Boss is the drummer/guitar-gear division of Roland. Products include anything from effect pedals to drum machines to instrument tuners.

Jul 4, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #485 of 666
Quote:

Originally Posted by swaffleman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The two most overrated to me are:

Sony MDR-V150. These things sell like crazy, and at only 25 bucks. While they aren't terrible, they aren't good.

They look more sturdy than they are. The wires last a week or two, after that it's usually breakup at the junctions, either jack or cups.
Quote:

Originally Posted by swaffleman
Bose on ear headphones. These actually have good, clear sound, but the bass is extremely overwhelming. You simply cannot hear the mids in some recordings. If it weren't for this, they would be perfect. They are also very overpriced. I could see these things selling for $80, instead of $180.

They've got some black-magic EQ to the midrange as well, to add "sizzle". The bas/sub-bass bloom though is ridiculous.

Jul 4, 2008 at 3:54 AM Post #488 of 666
Bose. People wearing them really think they are the s***. "Look at me, I'm Mr. FancyPants Audiophile with my Bose headphones". When in reality they're a sucker who just bought an expensive piece of crap.

I have to disagree with the Marshmellows. For a lower end product, they're not too bad.

Jul 4, 2008 at 5:21 AM Post #489 of 666
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickdawg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bose. People wearing them really think they are the s***. "Look at me, I'm Mr. FancyPants Audiophile with my Bose headphones". When in reality they're a sucker who just bought an expensive piece of crap.

I have to disagree with the Marshmellows. For a lower end product, they're not too bad.

X2 - I got my marshmallows on amazon for $2.14. top that people!!

Jul 4, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #490 of 666
I hate watching people in the Gym with Tri-ports. First, how can you work out with ear-muffs on? Secondly, they are just being *******.

Grumble. I hate Lifetime Fitness. I was I could just buy my own equipment.

Jul 4, 2008 at 7:13 AM Post #491 of 666
Even though I've listed them in my post as being overrated...the bose tri-port/on ear headphones REALLY aren't as bad as some of you have been saying.

I've just recently been getting into better headphones and all of that which is associated with being an audiophile, but honestly, the bose headphones have great sound.

It's very clear and warm sounding.

The thing that makes them as bad as they are is that the balance is WAY out of whack.

The bass is ridiculous so you can't hear the mids. If they just made a revised version of them where the bass was lowered about %50 or so, and the price was more like $80-$120, they would be great!

But as it stands, they are abotu $50-$60 overpriced and the sound balance is messed up.

The passive noise cancellation on them is great too.

But alas, they aren't well EQ'd or whatever the correct term is.

Jul 4, 2008 at 7:23 AM Post #492 of 666
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2 - I got my marshmallows on amazon for $2.14. top that people!!

mad.gif
I'm jealous!! I spent about $20 on marshmallows and about $15 on Skullcandy(which I see are about $9 at FYE).

$2.14, yet they don't sound like dollar-store headphones.

Jul 4, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #493 of 666
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickdawg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mad.gif
I'm jealous!! I spent about $20 on marshmallows and about $15 on Skullcandy(which I see are about $9 at FYE).

$2.14, yet they don't sound like dollar-store headphones.

If you dont mind the color, there are still some under $6. Great backup headphones for whatever. always nice to have decent backups when you sweat through your workout cans.

Jul 17, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #494 of 666
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmwwhats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AKG K701 can come across as overrated if used with the wrong amp

I don't know what would constitute the right amp for the K701s, but I listened to the K701s side by side with Grado GS1000s and Sennheiser HD650s using a Cayin amp, and the K701s weren't even in the same league as those other cans.

I used to own a pair of K1000s, and I can't believe that AKG considers the K701 as a worthy successor.

["Shields up, Mr. Sulu!"]

Jul 17, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #495 of 666
hopefully it's not too out of line, but I think the sextetts are quite overrated for the prices they command on headfi and ebay. Maybe what people are looking for is a deviation from AKG's normal take on space and detail, but I felt like they were taking the drivers and trying to hermetically seal them against my ears

Users who are viewing this thread

Back