The Official MLB World Series Thread
Oct 24, 2004 at 4:49 AM Post #16 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by bootman
The cards made a nice comeback but the sox in the end pulled it off with the long ball.

The word "comeback" should be plural.
tongue.gif

Let's see how Mr. Red Sock himself can do tomorrow.

Oct 24, 2004 at 8:36 AM Post #17 of 70
I thought Manny's kneecap was gonna pop out. That second error he made in the bottom of the 8th (or 7th) was just horrific.. a slide down on his left, right leg straight out, and his foot locked into the turf and he stumbled (missed the catch, of course). He's the highest paid player in the league (yes, a half-million higher than A-Rod).

I thought it was a good game. Steven Tyler doing the anthem had to motor, but other than that, it was good. I caught a couple of innings @ Jude's on HDTV and it rocked. Also had a pair of wireless AKGs with surround, which made the game even more fun to watch. Kelly Clarkson did a good job.. better than Manny - no errors.

It's amazing to see how many pitchers are on the roster, isn't it? During the game intro, it was almost comical when they went down the pitching lineup. And did you know David Ortiz is only 29 years old? Dude's a monster. And man, isn't his bat speed just unreal? Looks like movie special effects when he swings the bat.

Oct 24, 2004 at 3:04 PM Post #18 of 70
Fenway is a great park for playoff baseball; the scoring is fun to watch. Pitching duels are better when you are in the park! I still think the Cards will take it in 7.

Oct 25, 2004 at 3:47 AM Post #19 of 70
Looks like the Cards have their work cut out for them, coming home trailing 0-2 to the Red Sox in the series.

Game 1 (at Fenway Park): Red Sox 11, Cards 9
Game 2 (at Fenway Park): Red Sox 6, Cards 2

What's more, the Red Sox committed a whopping 8 errors in these two games (4 errors in Game 1, 4 errors in Game 2) - and got away with them (so far). The Cards committed just 1 error in Game 1 and no errors in Game 2 - yet they lost both games.

Oct 25, 2004 at 3:58 AM Post #20 of 70
i was just talking to a friend about how great it would be for the sox to go up 3 games to none and lose 4 straight. that would be a beautiful enforcement of the curse
very_evil_smiley.gif

anyways, go sox.

Oct 25, 2004 at 4:11 AM Post #21 of 70
And the cardinals will tie it in the 11th of game 7 with an error by Ramirez, and Wakefield will walk the winning run. Now THAT would be enforcing the curse. Of course, the Red Sox will bat in the bottom of the innings if there is a game 7, so that theory goes out the window.

Oct 25, 2004 at 5:47 PM Post #22 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by usc goose
i was just talking to a friend about how great it would be for the sox to go up 3 games to none and lose 4 straight. that would be a beautiful enforcement of the curse
very_evil_smiley.gif
anyways, go sox.

That's the meanest thing I heard so far. Who knows what will happen??? I think game5 will be determining factor in this ws...

Oct 25, 2004 at 10:48 PM Post #23 of 70
I think it will be game 4. If the cards can pull even by then, we have a series. if by game 4 the sox are up 3-1, the cards are down, and PRETTY much out. but hey the sox came back, why not the cards right? 4-0 of course means the discussion is useless concerning a game 5 lol.

Oct 26, 2004 at 9:32 PM Post #24 of 70
I'd LOVE to see how the Red Sox fans react when the Cards tie it at 2-2.
biggrin.gif

On the otherhand, I read this column from Ron Sirak on espn.com... I just cannot stop smilling when I read this kind of opinion.

"they had Scott Brosius, Paul O'Neill and Tino Martinez on the roster. They have been replaced with Alex Rodriguez, Gary Sheffield and Jason Giambi. I'll take those first three guys -- the ones who knew how to play for the team -- over the last three any day. ... Call it the Curse of the Checkbook. Somebody in Yankeeland lost sight of the fact that great teams are composed of a couple of great players and a bunch of role players willing to play the team game"

I think this is one of most often quoted BS in the sports journalism. Some baseball players "know" how to win and play "for the team." Geez, last time I checked Ortiz isn't best known for his "intangibles." and we know how Tino Martized helped his teams to win after he left the Yanks. The Yanks would've won the series if the pitching staff(especially Rivera) were as effective as they had been before. As for "a couple of great player and a bunch of role players" theory, I think it works in basketball where the offensive posession is limited but it's another BS for baseball. Just look at the Cards' lineup.

Oct 27, 2004 at 3:51 AM Post #25 of 70
3-0 (after the BoSox won 4-1)

Either Boston's going to win their first WS in a long time...or the unlucky streak is going to continue in a most heinous way.
eek.gif

Oct 27, 2004 at 3:57 AM Post #26 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by strohmie
3-0 (after the BoSox won 4-1)

Either Boston's going to win their first WS in a long time...or the unlucky streak is going to continue in a most heinous way.
eek.gif

Who are you kidding.
Boston has this in the bag.
Done deal.

The curse is finally broken!!!
(and fittingly so on the 100th anniversary of the world series.)

Congrats to all true BoSox fans.
The suffering is finally over.
(now what are you going to do with yourselves?)

Oct 27, 2004 at 4:18 AM Post #27 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by bootman
Who are you kidding.
Boston has this in the bag.
Done deal.

...but you wouldn't have said this about NY after game three?
tongue.gif

I know the likelyhood of something like that happening is almost nil. But I'm a born pessimist.

Oct 27, 2004 at 4:42 AM Post #29 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepkyng
'Dro hurled a gem.

haven't seen him this good since that cg mid season.

<<claps in the general direction of sleepy's avatar>>
tongue.gif

Oct 27, 2004 at 4:48 AM Post #30 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by strohmie
...but you wouldn't have said this about NY after game three?
tongue.gif

I know the likelyhood of something like that happening is almost nil. But I'm a born pessimist.

I thought the exact same thing and it bit me in the butt!

I'm not a BoSox fan (but I do admire true BoSox fans)
So if this one comes to bite me again, I wouldn't mind as much.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back