The Official Massdrop/Fostex TH-X00 Owners' Impressions and Discussions Thread
Feb 19, 2019 at 11:59 PM Post #391 of 419
Only thing not on that list I have also tried is the MrSpeaker Alpha pads... honestly don't remember what those pads sound like, guess I need to put them on and make observation on them and add them to the list.

I had two Purplehearts (converted one to different cups [E-MU Palo Santo]) but before did anything to the second Purpleheart I compared them both head to head, both with stock pads but my original one with the Lawton damping installed. I have a TASCAM MH-8 amp which you can use to compare up to 8 headphones with simultaneously from the same source(s). I also have an Extech 407730 sound level meter, so every factor was exactly the same for them except for the Lawton damping. Was not hard at all to tell the difference between them blind A/B testing. Stock is more bloated and conjested sounding with details harder to make out and less clear sound.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2019 at 4:42 AM Post #392 of 419
Only thing not on that list I have also tried is the MrSpeaker Alpha pads... honestly don't remember what those pads sound like, guess I need to put them on and make observation on them and add them to the list.

I had two Purplehearts (converted one to different cups [E-MU Palo Santo]) but before did anything to the second Purpleheart I compared them both head to head, both with stock pads but my original one with the Lawton damping installed. I have a TASCAM MH-8 amp which you can use to compare up to 8 headphones with simultaneously from the same source(s). I also have an Extech 407730 sound level meter, so every factor was exactly the same for them except for the Lawton damping. Was not hard at all to tell the difference between them blind A/B testing. Stock is more bloated and conjested sounding with details harder to make out and less clear sound.

I assume you mean only the Lawton driver mod and did the mod affect the bass impact and weight? If the bass was taken down a couple notches, I'd be concern about too much treble presence of it remained untouched.

For what it's worth, I found the Alpha Pads to give the headphones an even deeper V shape. But for consistency, I'd be interested in your impression.

Feb 25, 2019 at 10:42 PM Post #393 of 419
So I currently have a Chord Mojo driving the Fostex TH-X00. One thing I notice that that while it drives it nicely, compared to my previous Xduoo xd-05 DAC, I feel the Mojo lacks a bit on the thumping bass end. So the question is this. Should I change to this Liquid Carbon X SDAC and sell my Chord Mojo?
Massdrop Liquid Carbon X + SDAC DAC/Amp
This is only for home, so for the price of what I can get for the Mojo, what are my other options for a home DAC that I'll be plugging to my desktop PC?

Feb 25, 2019 at 10:47 PM Post #394 of 419
So I currently have a Chord Mojo driving the Fostex TH-X00. One thing I notice that that while it drives it nicely, compared to my previous Xduoo xd-05 DAC, I feel the Mojo lacks a bit on the thumping bass end. So the question is this. Should I change to this Liquid Carbon X SDAC and sell my Chord Mojo?
Massdrop Liquid Carbon X + SDAC DAC/Amp
This is only for home, so for the price of what I can get for the Mojo, what are my other options for a home DAC that I'll be plugging to my desktop PC?
Mojo and hugo are grrat in the dac department but are not great in the amp arena. Both do well with iems, yeah on paper ot should but in real life best add a pure amp to the mojo.

Jun 12, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #395 of 419
Hi,
New here.

I just received my second set of TR-X00 Mahogany from Massdrop. The first unit had a defect on the right hinge. The screw that connects into the hinge was stripped while the left side appeared to be unblemished. Long story short, I sent Massdrop a complaint that I had just noticed this after 7 months of ownership. Massdrop sent me a replacement. So kudos to Massdrop for being serviceable, thank you. I appreciate it as this is my first set of headphones (owned many ear phones leading up to November 2018) and I was beginning to panic when I noticed the issue.

I considered selling the second unit which is why I joined head-fi...last night (never came across this forum but glad I did as I see a ton of great insight). The build quality and longevity concerned me. I was glued to my laptop for hours searching for an alternative; Audioquest NightOwl, Final Audio Design Sonorous IV, Meze 99 Noir, and others. In the end I decided to keep the TR-X00 (wasn't exactly easy to let a brand new set of goods sit there all alone, untouched). I just tell myself that like a first car or first nice watch or something along those lines, these guys have a special place in my heart lol.

Okay, I've been listening to them for the past 45 minutes and I am very happy. I was listening to the original unit for a few hours in anticipation of the second unit, and this second unit seems to have more bass. I was always disappointed with the first unit as many reviewers glorified the bass but to me it was underwhelming. I wasn't in love with my $420+ purchase which is a crappy feeling, for anyone. But I am digging this unit a ton. Maybe my brain is releasing dopamine at the moment, I don't know. Also, the wood on this second unit is significantly lighter than the first. I prefer the lighter aesthetic which was advertised on Massdrop.

Lastly, I am not very familiar with DACs/amps so I wanted to ask you owners of TR-X00/TH-X00 if a DAC will significantly improve the sound of these headphones? If it's worth it, I am willing to spend $200-$300 on one. I can't envision a noob like me appreciating a $500+ DAC the way it should be.

Thanks.

Jun 12, 2019 at 10:00 PM Post #396 of 419
^ It's not the build quality that is an issue IMO, it's the sound.

Bass- bloated and theatrical at times

Mids - best of the 3 ranges, but, where the &^%$ is the imaging? What about high volumes and/or complex passages causing sound stage to fall apart apart.

Treble- grainy, lacking detail - to the point of rivaling the Fostex FH500RP as the worst I've heard since I got back into the hobby 5 years ago.

I tried different pads, went to XLR connection, didn't change the spots. Glad I sold them. Friend lent me the ebony - great on pristene recordings with 1 or 2 instruments. but same fall apart sound if you toss them even half way difficult loads.

Jul 5, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #398 of 419
Outside of Lawton Audio, does anyone else offer a detachable mod service for the TH-X00? I don't want to have to pay $130 + Cable to Lawton just to get a detachable mod on my headphones. I have all 3, (Mahogany, Ebony, and Purpleheart) and want to get them changed over to detachable so I can use them with a balanced cable. I know their are plenty of guides on how to do it yourself, but I just don't have spare time now a days to work on all 3.

I know there was an Etsy shop awhile ago doing it, but it looks like he closed down his shop. I regret not taking advantage of that while I could.

Sep 6, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #399 of 419
Deleted. Pic below. Worth 1000 words. No more problems with the gimbal.

Attachments

• 5C222032-3C01-4DAE-B396-985F8872F835.png
    5C222032-3C01-4DAE-B396-985F8872F835.png
    8.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 7, 2019 at 4:32 AM Post #400 of 419
Thinking of getting the Mahogany but after reading so many replies on quality issues, I'd consider some other alternatives... Any other headphone is similar to the TR-X00 Mahogany?

Sep 7, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #401 of 419
5-minute epoxy to keep the cup from falling off again and again and again. Works surprisingly well and I may even have a bit more clamping force now too, which is good.

AC36F2E5-5439-4CE3-AEA1-65877F3F7BB2.png

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2019 at 1:32 AM Post #402 of 419
Thinking of getting the Mahogany but after reading so many replies on quality issues, I'd consider some other alternatives... Any other headphone is similar to the TR-X00 Mahogany?

Monoprice M1060 maybe. As you can see, I’ve had some quality issues too, just with the gimbal though. It’s really my own fault. When the screw came loose the first time, I really should’ve just taken the time to add threadlocker...But I didn’t...second time I should’ve...third time too...just tightened it back down and carried on. fourth time, I just decided to get it in position and glue it together with 5 minute epoxy since I lose the spring and screw.

All that aside, I’d do it all over and over again. I’ve read and read and listened to headphones here and there, and the X00 just ticks all the boxes for me at the sub $1000 price point. Don’t know if you’re concerned with the build quality, but it’s manageable and imho worth putting up with for the sound at this price. Ive listened to mine for 2 hrs plus everyday for the last 3 years at least and bought them used, and I abuse them, and they’re still sounding great.

So for what it’s worth, I don’t think there is an alternative here. If there is, I sure haven’t found it. And if you’re just concerned with quality of the build, don’t be. Just take care of them and they’ll be fine. Add threadlocker if the screws come loose. Don’t yank on and rotate the cups. They’ll be fine. I’m not considering anything else until I can afford to break that 1k price point. At which time I’d be considering:

ZMF Eikon
Klipsch HP-3
Fostex TH900 or TH909

Under $500, the M1060 is the only other headphone I’m remotely interested in. Good luck, no fear!

Sep 8, 2019 at 2:59 AM Post #403 of 419
Monoprice M1060 maybe. As you can see, I’ve had some quality issues too, just with the gimbal though. It’s really my own fault. When the screw came loose the first time, I really should’ve just taken the time to add threadlocker...But I didn’t...second time I should’ve...third time too...just tightened it back down and carried on. fourth time, I just decided to get it in position and glue it together with 5 minute epoxy since I lose the spring and screw.

All that aside, I’d do it all over and over again. I’ve read and read and listened to headphones here and there, and the X00 just ticks all the boxes for me at the sub $1000 price point. Don’t know if you’re concerned with the build quality, but it’s manageable and imho worth putting up with for the sound at this price. Ive listened to mine for 2 hrs plus everyday for the last 3 years at least and bought them used, and I abuse them, and they’re still sounding great.

So for what it’s worth, I don’t think there is an alternative here. If there is, I sure haven’t found it. And if you’re just concerned with quality of the build, don’t be. Just take care of them and they’ll be fine. Add threadlocker if the screws come loose. Don’t yank on and rotate the cups. They’ll be fine. I’m not considering anything else until I can afford to break that 1k price point. At which time I’d be considering:

ZMF Eikon
Klipsch HP-3
Fostex TH900 or TH909

Under $500, the M1060 is the only other headphone I’m remotely interested in. Good luck, no fear!

Thanks for your input. Really admire your optimism to continue hsing the Fostex. Guess I may just pull the trigger and handle it really careful.

Sep 8, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #404 of 419

ZMF Eikon
Klipsch HP-3
Fostex TH900 or TH909

The only other headphone that approaches TH-X00 Purplehearts is a closed back modded Sennheiser HD58X with some EQ. It's darker and warmer sounding, and more relaxed, but has the thunderous low end both in impact and extension along with beautiful mids and a more expansive sound. Roughly comes to around $400 with custom wood cups from headphile and the Yaxi Alcantara pads. Incredibly comfortable as well. I think I prefer them to all my Fosters (Denon AH-2000, Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart, Mahogany, and custom Palo Santo):

i-d2bTqsS.jpg

Sep 8, 2019 at 11:30 PM Post #405 of 419
The only other headphone that approaches TH-X00 Purplehearts is a closed back modded Sennheiser HD58X with some EQ. It's darker and warmer sounding, and more relaxed, but has the thunderous low end both in impact and extension along with beautiful mids and a more expansive sound. Roughly comes to around $400 with custom wood cups from headphile and the Yaxi Alcantara pads. Incredibly comfortable as well. I think I prefer them to all my Fosters (Denon AH-2000, Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart, Mahogany, and custom Palo Santo):

i-d2bTqsS.jpg
Did you by chance try the 58X with just the pad swap, before additional mods?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back