The Official Massdrop/Fostex TH-X00 Owners' Impressions and Discussions Thread
Oct 30, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #361 of 419
If you have the TH900, why would you upgrade the Ebony? Couldn't you swap the TH900 cups with the Ebony cups? I think I'm missing something.
Th900s drivers are way better than the Ebonys drivers.

Oct 30, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #362 of 419
Th900s drivers are way better than the Ebonys drivers.

and they should be given their 2x the price.
is it easy to swap out these drivers? ...might be something to consider vs upgrading.
i would like tighter bass all around...the ebony thx00 are fine for low end but that's not the whole bass spectrum for me.

my audiophile friend is trying to woo me into the latest massdrop for the hifiman xx drop as an upgrade from the ebonys. (he's always trying to get me to take the deep dive back into the wormhole of audio, lol)
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-hifiman-edition-xx-headphones

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018 at 7:24 AM Post #364 of 419
Does anyone have experience with both Eikon and Ori pads on the TH-X00/TR-X00 (mahogany in particular)? Interested in which one would be better. Either with or without attenuation rings.
I have TH-X00 Mahogany and have tried the Ori pads with and without the attenuation rings. They are much more comfortable and give a bigger sound stage. You loose a little bass and some presence. The attenuation rings help some. I have tried Dekoni Fenestrated, Dekoni Hybrid, Dekoni TH900 Sheepskin, TH900 Stock, Mr Speaker Alpha, and Ori. None of them sound as good as the stock pads. I like the Ori the best. The Stock TH-X00 pads are very narrow and claustrophobic.

I may be interested in selling the Ori pads with the attenuation rings. PM me if you are interested.

Nov 8, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #365 of 419
Lawton mod really helps them out for detail and instrument separation.

For upgrade to a TH-X00 I would say the Argon Mk3 is a nice choice that keeps a similar 'Fostex' sound but is unique as well. Very impressed with the Argon Mk3 - might not be expensive like the others, but like it much better than any other planar I've ever heard... including ANY Audeze. Focal Clear is very nice, compares favorably to my STAX L300 Limited setup when I heard it on my warm leaning Gustard X20U DAC and modded H10 amp combo. Still not Argon nice or unique to me though, and WAY more expensive...

Argon Mk3 won't hit as hard as the TH-X00, but it has greater low end extension and a much better level of detail while still giving really good punch and a decent full bodied sound uncharacteristic of most planars (why I don't particularly care for most planars). Still not as full bodied sounding as a TH-X00...but nicely done while still being much more articulate and fine in the details. Sound presentation is massive, very large feeling of space compared to the TH-X00 - but even with that large of a presentation it keeps excellent detail, clarity, and imaging. Absolutely great for movies and gaming. I don't think I've had the urge to listen to my Purplehearts at all since getting the Argon Mk3 and properly powering it... And speaking of that, yeah, properly powering the Argon Mk3 is a MUST - if they aren't properly powered they don't sound nearly as good and come across as lacking and disappointing like most planars.

Oh man, I've been on the fence about the Argons for a while but I think I might have to dive in. Cheers for the impressions!

Nov 9, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #366 of 419
I am hoping someone can answer this. Does anyone know if the stock cable is 4 wires to the 1/4 inch connector? I looked under the metal cover and you can't see anything. There is some type of glue/caulk over everything and you can't see the wires. I am thinking of cutting this cable near the 1/4 connector end, and add male and female XLR connectors. I want to be able to try the TH-X00 balanced. I am also curious about the TH900 cable as I may want to do the same.

Jan 7, 2019 at 12:09 AM Post #367 of 419
WARNING: MASSDROP NOT HONORING WARRANTY ON TH-X00 PURPLEHEART

I've had the TH-X00PH for about ten months. About two months ago I started to notice a line-shaped depression forming on the right earcup. In the weeks since, the depression has grown in length and depth making it clear that a crack is forming from the inside. The whole time they have been sitting on my office desk, on the custom stand I had made for them. They have never been transported in a backpack, I do not commute with them, they are not exposed to large changes in temperature or humidity, and they are not exposed to direct sunlight. Yesterday I contacted massdrop support with my story and a photo. Their first reaction was to insist that it was a scratch that I had caused. When I explained that the surface finish is still smooth and the issue is developing in the wood itself, they asserted that it was "normal wear and tear from how long you've had the product" and suggested I should have contacted them sooner. When I reminded them that the warranty advertised is two years, they stopped responding to my emails. Not even an offer to repair the headphones at my expense, let alone fix or replace them under warranty. Needless to say I'm extremely disappointed in the service they're providing for a product approaching $500, and unless they make this right I won't be spending another dollar with massdrop going forward. I will also be sure to warn all the friends and family members I've recommended massdrop to. Hopefully someone at massdrop like @CEE TEE or @WillBright see this and can put me in touch with someone more helpful than the brick wall of a customer service rep I was talking to.
Now:
Crack_New.jpg

A Few Weeks Ago (with angle for depth):
Crack_Old.jpg

Jan 7, 2019 at 12:47 AM Post #368 of 419
WARNING: MASSDROP NOT HONORING WARRANTY ON TH-X00 PURPLEHEART

I've had the TH-X00PH for about ten months. About two months ago I started to notice a line-shaped depression forming on the right earcup. In the weeks since, the depression has grown in length and depth making it clear that a crack is forming from the inside. The whole time they have been sitting on my office desk, on the custom stand I had made for them. They have never been transported in a backpack, I do not commute with them, they are not exposed to large changes in temperature or humidity, and they are not exposed to direct sunlight. Yesterday I contacted massdrop support with my story and a photo. Their first reaction was to insist that it was a scratch that I had caused. When I explained that the surface finish is still smooth and the issue is developing in the wood itself, they asserted that it was "normal wear and tear from how long you've had the product" and suggested I should have contacted them sooner. When I reminded them that the warranty advertised is two years, they stopped responding to my emails. Not even an offer to repair the headphones at my expense, let alone fix or replace them under warranty. Needless to say I'm extremely disappointed in the service they're providing for a product approaching $500, and unless they make this right I won't be spending another dollar with massdrop going forward. I will also be sure to warn all the friends and family members I've recommended massdrop to. Hopefully someone at massdrop like @CEE TEE or @WillBright see this and can put me in touch with someone more helpful than the brick wall of a customer service rep I was talking to.
Now:

man, sorry to hear about. hope you are able to get this issue with md sorted out

Jan 7, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #369 of 419
UPDATE:

After I made a spectacle on reddit and provided several additional photos, they have agreed to honor the warranty.

Feb 9, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #372 of 419
attenuation rings/

yess or no

m usicguy
I'm going to add to this. I tried the ZMF Auteur pads, and bass seems less significant than stock pads.

Question for yall, if there there are more room in the cup, do you lose bass? In terms of impact and heft? I guess there is a reason for the stock pads to have such a shallow and small room like there's barely enough room inside for a complete fit. On the other hand, the Auteur pads brings forward the highs a bit, like to the point of EMU-Teak's highs or actual Auteur's, and to me it's more than I prefer as it sounds a bit peaky, but there maybe some that may think more resolve.

If you compare the stock pads (left) and ZMF Auteur pads (right) side by side, Auteur pads are quite a bit larger. This is probably the reason why bass gets effected. I wonder if there is anybody that has tried stock TH-900 pads (which doesn't have narrow opening) has tried with the TH-X00, and how was the bass?

20190209_164706.jpg

Ok now, if we flip over the stock pads (see below), we can see the attachment ring on the top layer, and then there is an attenuation ring underneath, but the actual pads opening is smaller (or narrower) oval than the attenuation ring itself. Yet, they still put in the attenuation ring, and to me that didn't seem that necessary with the smaller oval opening, but I'm not the designer. What do yall think? Can anybody explain how the attenuation ring works precisely?

I probably would need a set of attenuation rings for Auteur pads right? I wonder if that would bring more bass (the perception of it) with the Auteur pads? Is the purpose of narrowing the port to focus the bass and centralize the bass output to the ears, tightening the sound? For the Ebony, pad difference does effect the highs as well (gets brighter with the Auteur pads).

20190209_164919.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #373 of 419
I'm going to add to this. I tried the ZMF Auteur pads, and bass seems less significant than stock pads.

Question for yall, if there there are more room in the cup, do you lose bass? In terms of impact and heft? I guess there is a reason for the stock pads to have such a shallow and small room like there's barely enough room inside for a complete fit. On the other hand, the Auteur pads brings forward the highs a bit, like to the point of EMU-Teak's highs or actual Auteur's, and to me it's more than I prefer as it sounds a bit peaky, but there maybe some that may think more resolve.

If you compare the stock pads (left) and ZMF Auteur pads (right) side by side, Auteur pads are quite a bit larger. This is probably the reason why bass gets effected. I wonder if there is anybody that has tried stock TH-900 pads (which doesn't have narrow opening) has tried with the TH-X00, and how was the bass?

Ok now, if we flip over the stock pads (see below), we can see the attachment ring on the top layer, and then there is an attenuation ring underneath, but the actual pads opening is smaller (or narrower) oval than the attenuation ring itself. Yet, they still put in the attenuation ring, and to me that didn't seem that necessary with the smaller oval opening, but I'm not the designer. What do yall think? Can anybody explain how the attenuation ring works precisely?

I probably would need a set of attenuation rings for Auteur pads right? I wonder if that would bring more bass (the perception of it) with the Auteur pads? Is the purpose of narrowing the port to focus the bass and centralize the bass output to the ears, tightening the sound? For the Ebony, pad difference does effect the highs as well (gets brighter with the Auteur pads).

The best pads I know of for the TH-X00 that maintains the Bass are the Stock pads. The attenuation rings do help with some pads, but can't match the stock pads. The TH900 pads do not work well with the TH-X00, but are the best I have found for the TH900. It looks like Fostex spent a lot of time designing the best pads for both. I have tried TH900 Stock, Dekoni TH900 Lambskin, Dekoni Fenestrated, Dekoni Hybrid. Alpha pads, and ZMF Ori. I Got most of these from a frustrated TH-X00 Ebony owner that gave up looking for pads that maintained the Bass and were comfortable. My choice for the pads that sounded the best overall including comfort were the ZMF Ori. They still didn't maintain the Sub Bass.

Feb 9, 2019 at 8:50 PM Post #374 of 419
The best pads I know of for the TH-X00 that maintains the Bass are the Stock pads. The attenuation rings do help with some pads, but can't match the stock pads. The TH900 pads do not work well with the TH-X00, but are the best I have found for the TH900. It looks like Fostex spent a lot of time designing the best pads for both. I have tried TH900 Stock, Dekoni TH900 Lambskin, Dekoni Fenestrated, Dekoni Hybrid. Alpha pads, and ZMF Ori. I Got most of these from a frustrated TH-X00 Ebony owner that gave up looking for pads that maintained the Bass and were comfortable. My choice for the pads that sounded the best overall including comfort were the ZMF Ori. They still didn't maintain the Sub Bass.
I could imagine even with my single experience with the Auteur pads. The stock TH-X00 gives off that unsatisfactory feeling of the fit over the ears, as it makes me think about it (maybe slight OCD developed over years into this hobby). Good headphone design should strive for the user to take the mind off the headphone, so that all the focus is onto the music/sound.

By the way, does the TH-900 pads use any attenuation rings? If not, why is there is such a design difference in terms of opening of the sound port?

Feb 10, 2019 at 5:26 AM Post #375 of 419
I could imagine even with my single experience with the Auteur pads. The stock TH-X00 gives off that unsatisfactory feeling of the fit over the ears, as it makes me think about it (maybe slight OCD developed over years into this hobby). Good headphone design should strive for the user to take the mind off the headphone, so that all the focus is onto the music/sound.

By the way, does the TH-900 pads use any attenuation rings? If not, why is there is such a design difference in terms of opening of the sound port?
I don't hate the stock pads for comfort, but I have to agree that many pads are more comfortable. The stock TH900 pads do not have attenuation rings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back