The Official Massdrop/Fostex TH-X00 Owners' Impressions and Discussions Thread
Dec 19, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #61 of 419
I just got some TH900 pads...should get here on Tuesday.  

Please let us know how they sound. I am holding off on buying pads until we get some general consensus on how they affect sound. Once I get my thx00 I will keep it stock for a bit to get used to it.

Dec 20, 2015 at 6:55 AM Post #63 of 419
Do TH900 pads come of just as easily a thX00 which just turn off with little connectors....I know grin the fact they turned up with one already dropped off.....if so, it's a doddle to swap.

Should be similar.

Dec 20, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #64 of 419
So my TH-X00 arrived on Friday, serial #350. Two days and I'm already loving them! Best looking cans I've ever laid my eyes upon and the sound is seriously impressive for its price.

Short impression and photos as posted in the other thread:
Serial #350 reporting in!

These look and sound gorgeous. IMO, they sound like a closed version of HD650 with more bass. While slightly overblown in quantity, the bass is textured, detailed and deep, very good quality. The mids are lush, intimate, and actually every bit as good, if not better than the Senns! What surprised me most is the level of transparency in these cans; despite being bass heavy they are very resolving and I could hear things that I could hardly hear on my other headphones more easily. I'm extremely impressed and most likely will be keeping them for a loooong time.

Next step: Pad rolling! (gonna acquire some TH900 pads first)

Here's another shot:

Dec 26, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #66 of 419
Oh Man...these headphones make me smile and bob my head a lot! I've yet to try planars, but this is the most enjoyable low-end I've ever heard (I've owned/own MSR7 & K7XX). Depth like I've never heard before with such a sweet punch. I like the word "subterranean" to describe it. Not thin in the bass but quite fast and clean to me, all without bleeding into the mids to my amazement. Bassy headphone done right IMO. Overall sound is warm, smooth, intimate yet surprisingly resolving with a very decent soundstage. To my ears, the K7XX are better suited for the classical, jazz, choral (and similar "airy") genres but these TH-X00s are still frickin' great. If you're not sure whether you're a basshead or not, these will likely make you one. If you're sure you're not a basshead, these just might change that for you. Cups are beautifully unique and stock pads are quite comfortable on my ears. Well done (again) Massdrop & Fostex! Running on an m9XX; CF off and F2 filter.

Jan 1, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #67 of 419
Eager to see when measurements analysis are posted by guys, maybe it appears somewhere on the web already. Particularly interested in 30 Hz Square Waves - the leading edge, tilt, slope, drop, central dipping, rounded shoulders, and excursion below zero baseline.

Jan 3, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #68 of 419
Does anyone know how these would pair with the Sony pha-2

Jan 4, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #69 of 419
Well, after about three weeks, I've got to say that I am extremely pleased with these headphones, and glad I got into the initial drop. While I can't really vouch for whether they can compete with other high end phones (mid-fi as far as this place is concerned), I can say with complete certainty that my Q701s will probably never be plugged into my desktop setup again, and will instead be relegated to monitoring purposes.

Some people on the "review" thread have complained about these not being suited for jazz, orchestral, or any other acoustic genre, but that's where I've personally found the most enjoyment in them. My Miles Davis album will now receive much more airtime, as well as John Denver's stuff. The detail retrieval is leagues above the 701's and the ample bass really provides a warmer tone that helps immense amounts with male vocals. Baritone saxophones and acoustic guitars have amazing texture that makes me want to melt in my chair. 

As for a few tracks that I would choose as standouts among my collection would be:

Nirvana - Come as you are (Nevermind remastered) ----> this was as close to a "religious" experience as I've ever come

Massive Attack - Angel (Mezzanine)

Journey - Lights (? ---> I have it on their Greatest HIts)

Mastodon - Crusher Destroyer (Remission reissue) -----> I feel this extremely complex noisy track showcases how well these are able to resolve the signal and properly present it

Wiz Khalifa - On My Level (Rolling Papers) -----> Being Head-Fi's "Basshead" thread's test track this shows the full power of the TH X00's bass (I don't think it's a particularly good song)

Royksopp - Sparks (Melody A.M.)

Jan 5, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #70 of 419
These headphones excel in their ability as genre masters. I went from listening to Queen, to Modest Mouse, then some Chaka Khan, then back to Nujabes, then some Big Sean.. all in FLAC because these headphones can make 256kpbs .mp3 sound like turd compared to lossless. Even some of my 320kbps can be barely noticeable for me like when listening to Pixies "Doolittle" I have one in FLAC and one in 320kbps and the lossless one is clearly better and has more details that are lost in the .mp3.

Jan 5, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #71 of 419
These headphones excel in their ability as genre masters. I went from listening to Queen, to Modest Mouse, then some Chaka Khan, then back to Nujabes, then some Big Sean.. all in FLAC because these headphones can make 256kpbs .mp3 sound like turd compared to lossless. Even some of my 320kbps can be barely noticeable for me like when listening to Pixies "Doolittle" I have one in FLAC and one in 320kbps and the lossless one is clearly better and has more details that are lost in the .mp3.

While I have very few mp3s in my stash (most are FLAC or m4a) I did recently download two mp3s albums and they do sound quite lackluster with everything being thin and veiled. I'd wager that when it comes to mp3s, with their "perceptual encoding", sound the same through my phone as my desktop setup.

EDIT: while bit rate and non-compression helps, base recording quality is the most important. I can't listen to my Queen or Blue Oyster Cult albums because there's so much hiss.

Jan 5, 2016 at 2:16 AM Post #73 of 419
I've heard it through DS Pro Gen V -- Decware Taboo -- THX00. It's quite something.

I will try my cellphone -- Spotify later, should be semi decent with the THX00.
Lorde's Royals thru these babies.

mindblowing.

Lorde's Royals thru these babies.

mindblowing.

Jan 5, 2016 at 4:18 AM Post #74 of 419
While I can't really vouch for whether they can compete with other high end phones (mid-fi as far as this place is concerned), 

What makes something high end? Price? People say these compare favourably to the TH-900 which is 3x the price. Certainly when I owned the HD800 there was nothing there for me, would take the TH-X00 in a heart beat.

These cans are really glorious. Look, feel, sound... ticks all the boxes for me. Set and forget comfort, they fit like a glove for me. There are a few genres I probably wouldn't use them for but for rock and metal especially they're fantastic.

Jan 5, 2016 at 4:32 AM Post #75 of 419

What makes something high end? Price? People say these compare favourably to the TH-900 which is 3x the price. Certainly when I owned the HD800 there was nothing there for me, would take the TH-X00 in a heart beat.

These cans are really glorious. Look, feel, sound... ticks all the boxes for me. Set and forget comfort, they fit like a glove for me. There are a few genres I probably wouldn't use them for but for rock and metal especially they're fantastic.

Even high-end is subjective I guess, something high-end is considered expensive or has good quality. The Fostex TH-X00 might not be extremely expensive (relative to other higher-end headphones), but if it has extreme quality for it's price you can certainly say they are high-end in your book.

Heard the Fostex at a friend's house and I fell in love with the bass quality. They're fantastic for EDM too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back