The Official Massdrop/Fostex TH-X00 Owners' Impressions and Discussions Thread
Jan 8, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #91 of 419
Thank you both! So can anyone compare the 2 as far as sound goes?

sorry, I've never heard a T500RP, only builds using the driver, which varied a lot, and probably don't tell you much about the T500RP.

Jan 15, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #92 of 419
First impression: Game changer, amazing SQ for the money. 

New to this hobby, coming from ATH M40x and HD 598. The bass can be absolutely thunderous if you want it to be, all without hurting the mids much at all to my novice ears. Soundstage seems to be at least equal to the 598, just less "airy". Extremely fun and enjoyable sound without feeling like a gimmick. As many others have said, these are how Beats should sound. 

Heavy set of cans but comfort level is high. Stock pads fit my ears fine, no heat issues. 

Only real gripe is the stock cable - way too long for my use. 

Overall, I'm loving these. 

Jan 21, 2016 at 5:27 AM Post #93 of 419
My impressions. 

These sound incredibly fun. These are definitely not a studio grade headphone, man, what magic these do with those low bit-rate mp3s. Everything sounds juicy and airy through these headphones.

For me Fostex are a 100% kipper.. Perhaps the best office headphones I might ever purchase.

Had played with the pads. Purchased a pair of HM5 pads. Well, these Brainwavz pads are more comfy, it's a common knowledge, but they change the sound to a degree that the original signature is gone.

If you want an ultimate fun headphone, just buy Fostex TH-X00 . If they fit your ears properly, as mine did, don't waste your time and money on different pads. The stock one give it the most juice.

Jan 21, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #94 of 419
  My impressions. 

These sound incredibly fun. These are definitely not a studio grade headphone, man, what magic these do with those low bit-rate mp3s. Everything sounds juicy and airy through these headphones.

For me Fostex are a 100% kipper.. Perhaps the best office headphones I might ever purchase.

Had played with the pads. Purchased a pair of HM5 pads. Well, these Brainwavz pads are more comfy, it's a common knowledge, but they change the sound to a degree that the original signature is gone.

If you want an ultimate fun headphone, just buy Fostex TH-X00 . If they fit your ears properly, as mine did, don't waste your time and money on different pads. The stock one give it the most juice.

Unless they're Alpha pads. I'd say it's worth it to give those a shot. I swapped those for stock and haven't bothered to switch back. The sound is much better, bass is tighter and faster as well. I don't blame people for liking the stock pads, they're great and the sound signature is fine.. but the Alpha pads made these end-game headphones for me.

Jan 21, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #95 of 419

Unless they're Alpha pads. I'd say it's worth it to give those a shot. I swapped those for stock and haven't bothered to switch back. The sound is much better, bass is tighter and faster as well. I don't blame people for liking the stock pads, they're great and the sound signature is fine.. but the Alpha pads made these end-game headphones for me.

I agree that alpha pads are an upgrade to my ears as well. The mid bass hump/bloat is gone, which allows the bass to tighten up, get faster and the sub bass to be heard much more clearly.

Jan 23, 2016 at 1:08 AM Post #97 of 419
  I agree that alpha pads are an upgrade to my ears as well. The mid bass hump/bloat is gone, which allows the bass to tighten up, get faster and the sub bass to be heard much more clearly.

I have got the alpha pads, but I have never tried them on the TH-X00, because the stock pads fit me well, and do not bother me, apart from which, I am a sort of "don't-fix-it-if-it-ain't-broke" kind of guy...  In short, I normally won't do any DIY tinkering or modding with my cans, unless I absolutely have to...  Okay, I have swapped the pads on my He-6 and my He500, but that is all the modding I have ever done, (i.e. if one can call swapping pads "modding")

One of these days, I am going to summon the courage to put those alphas on the unit, and I shall report back... In short, you guys have convinced me... It is your fault
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2016 at 1:25 AM Post #98 of 419
I have got the alpha pads, but I have never tried them on the TH-X00, because the stock pads fit me well, and do not bother me, apart from which, I am a sort of "don't-fix-it-if-it-ain't-broke" kind of guy...  In short, I normally won't do any DIY tinkering or modding with my cans, unless I absolutely have to...  Okay, I have swapped the pads on my He-6 and my He500, but that is all the modding I have ever done, (i.e. if one can call swapping pads "modding")

One of these days, I am going to summon the courage to put those alphas on the unit, and I shall report back... In short, you guys have convinced me... It is your fault:)

Sorry about your wallet:wink:

Feb 3, 2016 at 5:00 AM Post #99 of 419
anyone running these out of a portable amp? (by any chance the Oppo HA-2?)

Feb 3, 2016 at 7:50 AM Post #100 of 419
anyone running these out of a portable amp? (by any chance the Oppo HA-2?)

They sound great out of a Mojo (when the awful 1/4" to 3.5mm adapter they ship it with works).

Feb 9, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #102 of 419
Just ordered these, pairing with an O2. Damn, went from HD25-1 ii + E6 + iPod Classic to TH-X00 + O2 + iBasso DX80 (using iPod until my wallet regains life)

I've just realised how expensive audiophilia actually is... Thanks mom and dad. :p

Feb 9, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #103 of 419
Dx80 may work great enough on its own with TH-X00. Sell the O2 and save some bread. I admit I sold mine, but I also admit they sound great, just pair. Just needed something a little more accurate. But I still love the miss and treble. My DX90 paired with the TH-X00 wonderfully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back