The Official Massdrop/Fostex TH-X00 Owners' Impressions and Discussions Thread
Dec 19, 2015 at 4:08 AM Post #49 of 419
Some more early impressions from a few hours of listening and switching pads:

I'm still grasping how it compares to the 1540 w/alpha pads and whether if it was a side grade rather than an upgrade. My early impressions is that, well, it is an upgrade... but only over the stock 1540. Switching to the alpha pads really made them (1540) that much better, and more fitting to its price range. The X00 has a similar u-shaped sound, but the soundstage is definitely wider and maybe slightly deeper, so that is a plus.

Now, I never heard the 600 and 900, but my guess is that those are really bassheads cans which may lead to the over-exaggerated talk about these mids being forward and bass being reduced. Compared to those cans, probably yes, but these are still borderline basshead material. If I kept the 1540 for two years, I can see these sticking around for just as long, if not longer.

PS: Switching to alpha pads on the X00 may be a sonic improvement, as they do tighten up its bass. Unlike on the 1540, however, it reduces the amount of slam, slightly. I prefer the slower decay and thump of the stock pads, so that is how they will remain.

PPS: Amazing job by PETEREK on the mod. The Boompro adapter is top notch, as well.

Dec 19, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #52 of 419
  Some more early impressions from a few hours of listening and switching pads:

I'm still grasping how it compares to the 1540 w/alpha pads and whether if it was a side grade rather than an upgrade. My early impressions is that, well, it is an upgrade... but only over the stock 1540. Switching to the alpha pads really made them (1540) that much better, and more fitting to its price range. The X00 has a similar u-shaped sound, but the soundstage is definitely wider and maybe slightly deeper, so that is a plus.

Now, I never heard the 600 and 900, but my guess is that those are really bassheads cans which may lead to the over-exaggerated talk about these mids being forward and bass being reduced. Compared to those cans, probably yes, but these are still borderline basshead material. If I kept the 1540 for two years, I can see these sticking around for just as long, if not longer.

PS: Switching to alpha pads on the X00 may be a sonic improvement, as they do tighten up its bass. Unlike on the 1540, however, it reduces the amount of slam, slightly. I prefer the slower decay and thump of the stock pads, so that is how they will remain.

PPS: Amazing job by PETEREK on the mod. The Boompro adapter is top notch, as well.

IME, 95% of the sonic change from TH-600 to TH-X00 came from swapping the pads. The other 5% are the wooden cups. I couldn't stand the stock pads on the TH-X00 because of the extra bass and slower decay as you prefer it since I am used to the sound signature of Fostex with TH600/TH900 pads. I am surprised that the TH-X00 were advertised as having bass tuned lower than the 600/900. 

I spent the last couple hours comparing the X00 and 600 using the same pads (pulled off the pads on my 900 and stuck them on the X00).

1. Treble on 600 had a little more sparkle but also a little more sibilant.
  2. Mids on X00 were more forward by a small amount, but pretty much identical otherwise to my ears. 
  3. Bass quality was also identical to me; I thought X00 had a tiny bit more bass quantity.

Dec 19, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #53 of 419
So these headphones are amazing. Finding them a solid choice for almost all music I listen too.
I have noticed that classical could be better.

I need some advice though. I will be getting a Chord Mojo in March next year and was wondering what a good companion hp would be?
I was thinking the hd600 but I have a problem with bright treble and love at least moderate bass.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Dec 19, 2015 at 5:19 AM Post #54 of 419

IME, 95% of the sonic change from TH-600 to TH-X00 came from swapping the pads. The other 5% are the wooden cups. I couldn't stand the stock pads on the TH-X00 because of the extra bass and slower decay as you prefer it since I am used to the sound signature of Fostex with TH600/TH900 pads. I am surprised that the TH-X00 were advertised as having bass tuned lower than the 600/900. 

I spent the last couple hours comparing the X00 and 600 using the same pads (pulled off the pads on my 900 and stuck them on the X00).

1. Treble on 600 had a little more sparkle but also a little more sibilant.
  2. Mids on X00 were more forward by a small amount, but pretty much identical otherwise to my ears. 
  3. Bass quality was also identical to me; I thought X00 had a tiny bit more bass quantity.

I may just have to look for some 600/900 pads, then. Thanks!

Dec 19, 2015 at 7:10 AM Post #56 of 419
http://www.head-fi.org/products/fostex-th-x00-massdrop-exclusive/reviews/14816
My review ^^. Probably will read it and edit here and there.

+1 on this being a non - shipment thread. Although the other thread does have quite a bit of info.

Maybe we can post links to the qoutes we find to be of significance, here? That way it would make it easier to find for those reading up on all the info available.

Dec 19, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #57 of 419
Ok. Head fi Eq-ers. Show us your eq settings for these. Genres, general preferences, etc.

it's fairly subtle (no adjustment larger than 3dB), but does two things: makes the bass more linear and evens out the upper midrange/lower treble hole a bit.  It still maintains the overall character of the headphone's underlying signature.

Dec 19, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #59 of 419
The first post is usually where thread "sticky" goes.

I have linked your review to the first post on this thread.  I hope that is okay with you...

Dec 19, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #60 of 419

Users who are viewing this thread

Back