The Official JRPG Thread (aka Japanese Role Playing Games)
Aug 6, 2012 at 3:57 AM Post #226 of 1,038
Enjoying Xenoblade Chronicles right now. Spectacularly good. Battle system is pretty interesting, and certainly fresh for a JRPG. It has a good combination of strategy and intensity. Characters are much less archetypical than what you find in most games, much more human and relateable. Soundtrack is solid overall. Some songs are just sort of "there," but there are some gems too. The game has a knack for really intense, immersive cinematics. Easily the best JRPG I've played in a long time.

Aug 15, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #227 of 1,038
My pre-order of The Last Story just shipped today! I'll probably have to wait a few extra days since I opted for the free shipping, but thanks to a Newegg promo code, it only cost me $40 instead of $50.

Does anyone else here already have it or is looking forward to it?

Aug 17, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #228 of 1,038

!!
And thus I have now two Play-Asia coupons ($5 off $60+ order)
Exp. 27/09/12 & 04/10/12
If anyone wants them let me know, otherwise I'm posting it on Play-Asia's FB page.

Aug 19, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #230 of 1,038
Quote:
I would take those of you if you dont mind.

The coupons? Send me a PM--gotta run for an errand right now.
I'll likely hold onto one of them for the moment, in case I can use it for an eventual DJmax Technika. If I buy a VITA.
Games + Audio = both expensive hobbies.

Aug 22, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #232 of 1,038
Gaming, computers, and now audio thanks to this forum.

Thankfully, I'm not too into photography to the point where I feel like spending the big bucks on DSLRs to displace this Pentax Spotmatic I found at a thrift store in great condition for under $16. Modern digital bodies are expensive enough as is, and don't get me started on the lenses.

But all of these hobbies combined have nothing on cars when it comes down to wallet hurt, I'm sure...

Aug 22, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #234 of 1,038
Oh, I almost forgot: I'm a videophile at heart, certainly far moreso than I am an audiophile, but I can't afford the video gear I really want.

If front projectors were an option, a Barco Cine 9 or Sony G70 would be really nice. But since they're not, I'd have to opt for a working Sony GDM-FW900 as the holy grail of PC monitors. Even in 2012, you still can't beat CRTs for gaming, but they're getting tougher and tougher to find in tip-top shape without screwed-up colors (which tends to plague later FD Trinitron monitors, FW900 included).

Then I want one of these capture cards specifically. Why? They capture 240p RGB signals very well, in addition to handling everything up to 1080p and possibly beyond. For a moment, I thought I was going to be in a lot of wallet hurt since Micomsoft products are difficult to get outside of Japan, let alone for a low price, but then some board members pointed out a nearly-identical card that sells for a mere US$125 locally. Yes, please! (And they're easier to find than those rare Immersive Holo3DGraph II cards...)

As a bonus, 240p RGB input capability gives me the option to use pretty much any PC monitor out there with my retro consoles at maximum image quality, instead of having to hunt down the few displays available in North America with 15 KHz RGB input capability (since SCART doesn't exist here). The cost is a frame or two of input lag, but at least I can record my console games at the video quality I demand! Anything less than RGB or component/YUV just doesn't do it for me. S-Video has color artifacts. Composite video makes everything blurry in addition to more color artifacts. RF...oh god no.

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #235 of 1,038
7847846726_2a47136f2b_z.jpg

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/08/24/persona-4-golden-solid-gold-premium-edition/

OMG!!! I'M ORDERING THIS EVEN THOUGH I DON'T HAVE A VITA YET!!!!

Aug 25, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #236 of 1,038
I have to pre-order that soon-ish.

Ironically, I've never been a fan of Persona... GASP.

Aug 25, 2012 at 6:02 AM Post #238 of 1,038
Again, I'm not a big fan of Persona. I didn't like any of them. I didn't like the random-esque dungeons in Persona 3. It's all a bit basic.

I liked SMT: Nocture and Digital Devil Saga okay, but I didn't LOVE them. I guess I'm just not a fan of their rpgs. That being said, I'll be getting P4 (the $40 one). I need something to play on my Vita, and this is as good as it's gonna get for awhile.

Aug 25, 2012 at 8:09 AM Post #239 of 1,038
Quote:
Again, I'm not a big fan of Persona. I didn't like any of them. I didn't like the random-esque dungeons in Persona 3. It's all a bit basic.
I liked SMT: Nocture and Digital Devil Saga okay, but I didn't LOVE them. I guess I'm just not a fan of their rpgs. That being said, I'll be getting P4 (the $40 one). I need something to play on my Vita, and this is as good as it's gonna get for awhile.

Aww...where's the love? Well, you have your own preferences, so I'll leave it at that.
Anyway...Can't wait! Though I was hoping a P4G Vita but hey, this will do

Aug 27, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #240 of 1,038
I would have to say.

1. FFVI
  2. FFIX
  3. Chrono Cross - I never played Chrono Trigger and didn't even know it existed until many years later. I also didn't know this game had multiple endings so I only ever beat it once.
  4. Ar Tonelico
  5. Star Ocean
  6. Tales of <insert title here>

I have played a lot of others however the ones above are the ones that I consider to be really good.

Oh, another that I'm most likely the only one here that has played is Guardian's Crusade which was one of my first JRPG if not my first (I was very young then, don't remember).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back