The Official JRPG Thread (aka Japanese Role Playing Games)
Sep 8, 2012 at 6:27 AM Post #256 of 1,043
I'm thinking of buying Tales of Graces F : first day edition since I saw a seller selling it at about the same price as the normal one. Is there anything that I should know of the game? Like how it relates to other Tales Of series?

I guess I have to sell my  Doomsday bundle to buy me new games...

Sep 8, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #257 of 1,043
i havent been able to get into even 1 jrpg this entire generation save maybe lost odyssey which im just now starting to play, anyone got any recommendations? 

last rpg i could play was persona 4, but i dont count ps2 rpgs as this gen, almost 100 percent of jrpgs this gen seem garbage to me or after playing them, actually ARE garbage (resonance of fate, ff13)

Sep 8, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #258 of 1,043
Quote:
i havent been able to get into even 1 jrpg this entire generation save maybe lost odyssey which im just now starting to play, anyone got any recommendations? 

last rpg i could play was persona 4, but i dont count ps2 rpgs as this gen, almost 100 percent of jrpgs this gen seem garbage to me or after playing them, actually ARE garbage (resonance of fate, ff13)

You're absolutely right. Even the Atelier series, which I used to adore, on PS3 were not as fun. They are fun it their own way, but not so much fun in terms of a jRPG setting. I own:
-Ar Tonelico 3
-Atelier Rorona & Totori & Meruru
-Neptunia
-Star Ocean: The Last Hope
-Valkyria Chronicle (not really jRPG?)
-Tales of Vesperia

I liked most of them, with exception to Neptunia that I regret buying even to this day, but they certainly don't cater to the general jRPG/RPG gamer. In terms of story I think quite a lot of people aren't so happy with Star Ocean but I really liked it. Valkyria Chronicle, is fantastic, but it is not a jRPG through standard classification... worth getting IMO. Tales of Vesperia... well, there's no English PS3 version. I guess the only one that remains is Ar Tonelico 3, but it might be bizarre for many.

The 3 Atelier games mentioned above are entertaining for the scenarios/event scenes. There's not much to it in terms of story, as opposed to the Atelier Iris series on PS2. Haven't started Mana Khemia yet so I can't comment on that. If gameplay is not that important to you, it can be quite fun... All 3 of them have time limit; the new Atelier Ayesha apparently does not, and probably means it will have better story involvement.

Otherwise Demon Souls and Dark Souls are both REALLY fun, if not on the difficult side. Love them.

The RPGs I enjoyed the most lately though, are on PSP. If playing in Japanese is okay for you, try Zero no Kiseki and Ao no Kiseki. The previous series, Sora no Kiseki is also excellent--one or two of the latter series has a English release. Otherwise in English, Ys games are also quite fun! FALCOM (the maker company) is awesome when it comes to RPG and music.

Sep 12, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #259 of 1,043
Wii U is coming out and so far there are no J RPG's Being listed -.-, there's not even a RPG other than Zelda being annouced atm. Still I'm hoping the MULTITUDE of J Rpgs on PlaySation will get Ports to Wii U :D 

Sep 17, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #261 of 1,043
http://www.ign.com/top/rpgs

10 Fallout 3
9 Mass Effect 1
8 World of Warcraft
7 Skyrim
6 Diablo 2
5 FF IV
4 Pokemon Red/Blue
3 Baldurs Gate 2
2 chrono Trigger
1 FF VI

WHAT THE HELL IS WITH NO 6-10?!?!

THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THE WHOLE LIST?!?!?!

Sep 17, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #262 of 1,043
The certainly got the first two right. I mean, FFVI isn't my personal fave, but overall, it is indeed the best RPG ever made.

And I agree, 6-10... is What

Sep 17, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #263 of 1,043
My top 5 (in terms of personal opinion, and overall quality)....

5. Xenogears
4. Final Fantasy VII
3. Suikoden II
2. Chrono Trigger
1. FFVI

Just off personal love...

3. Chrono trigger
2. FFVII
1. Suikoden II

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #266 of 1,043
i cant take any list serious that doesnt include ff7 in their top ten, all fanboy aside that game was revolutionary and deserves the praise it gets, also that entire list is ******** but pretty much any list dealing with that many rpgs is going to be controversial 

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #267 of 1,043
Quote:
i cant take any list serious that doesnt include ff7 in their top ten, all fanboy aside that game was revolutionary and deserves the praise it gets, also that entire list is ******** but pretty much any list dealing with that many rpgs is going to be controversial 

Not really. The biggest controversial is No. 6-10. THAT'S CONTROVERSIAL!

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #268 of 1,043
Quote:

Not really. The biggest controversial is No. 6-10. THAT'S CONTROVERSIAL!

10 Fallout 3
9 Mass Effect 1
8 World of Warcraft
7 Skyrim
6 Diablo 2

5 FF IV
4 Pokemon Red/Blue
3 Baldurs Gate 2
2 chrono Trigger
1 FF VI

Aye. World of Warcraft? Seriously? Even if it had RPG elements to it, how can they...
If MMO's could count, then TalesWeaver needs a place up there. Never seen a MMO incorporate story-specific playable characters + storyline together that well.

Mass Effect is pretty awesome (seeing the bits my brother was playing) so I guess I can't say much about that.

FF7 was quite nice but overall I still find it overrated by way far. Wonder how they went from Materia to Draw system in FF8 lol...

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #269 of 1,043
Quote:
10 Fallout 3
9 Mass Effect 1
8 World of Warcraft
7 Skyrim
6 Diablo 2

5 FF IV
4 Pokemon Red/Blue
3 Baldurs Gate 2
2 chrono Trigger
1 FF VI

Aye. World of Warcraft? Seriously? Even if it had RPG elements to it, how can they...
If MMO's could count, then TalesWeaver needs a place up there. Never seen a MMO incorporate story-specific playable characters + storyline together that well.

Mass Effect is pretty awesome (seeing the bits my brother was playing) so I guess I can't say much about that.

FF7 was quite nice but overall I still find it overrated by way far. Wonder how they went from Materia to Draw system in FF8 lol...

Never could get the hang of Materia system...

Sep 19, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #270 of 1,043
The Materia system was so easy and exploitable. Just focus on 3 sets of materia, and use the exchange option when switching characters.

The easiest solutions were

Everyone having:

All+Cure
Enemy Skill
HP Plus (multiple ones), MP plus

Then certain party members with:

Steal
Manipulate (to get your Enemy Skills)
All-Offensive Magic (Fire, etc) until you have the AOE Enemy Skill attacks
One summon each (not necessary)

The only offensive materia you really need is Enemy Skill. You nab Aqualung, Beta, Trine, early enough, and they will kill pretty much anything. Then you have Big guard, and a whole bunch of other fantastic defensive spells. Enemy Skill is the best materia in the game, assuming you know where to get your skills. You get two Enemy Skill materias early enough, and they should always be equipped.

If you use Tifa, set her up with Cover+Counter, and counter+2x/4x cute (later on in the game). Since her final weapon's damage relies on how high her limit break gauge is, NEVER use the Atk command or Limit Break with her (which isn't exactly useful to begin with). With multiple counters and 2x/4x hit, she'll be doing 9999x4 damage every time she covers someone and counters. She breaks the game. XD

Works for other characters, but Tifa is the easiest guaranteed 9999 with each hit and her Limit break maxed. I basically use her for magic/defense, whenever she's not destroying everything with her counters.

Sorry. I love FFVII. I've played it easily over 15 times.

Is it the best game? No. But it's my favorite overall in terms of mythology and characters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back